dVH/RALH 11 days post op - have so any ?'s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 days post op - have so any ?'s 11 days post op - have so any ?'s

Unread 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
11 days post op - have so any ?'s

Warning! I have so many questions. My apologies that this is so lengthy.

I had a full hysterectomy via Davinci on June 8. I don't want to sound gross, but I was not feeling too much internal pain until yesterday when I passed gas right before a bowel movement. It felt like it passed right by where maybe the stitches are inside. I haven't had any bleeding. I did have to take a pain pill last night because I was uncomfortable and I could feel it. I haven't taken anything for pain since 4 days after my procedure. This morning, i feel better but I was wondering, can you harm the stitches like this? I think my fear of "messing things up" is my biggest problem. I have my post op doc visit Friday.

I also still have surgical tape over the incisions on my stomach. I know most reports are very little scarring, but I was wondering if there is anything I can apply after the tape is removed to minimize the scarring. I scar very easily and since I was never able to have children, I have no scars on my abs and would like to keep it that way. Any suggestions?

I was never able to have children. After the hysterectomy, I was mourning for the loss of what God gave me to bear children even though I never could. It's such a crazy bag of emotions.

Also, I had been in menopause for 3 years PRE-hysterectomy. I was an emotional mess, couldnt sleep, night sweats, anxiousness. I could not tolerate the hormones at all. I was put on a very low dose of fluoxetine, 10 mg. and it really helped a lot with all symptoms, night sweats, moodiness, etc. Post hysterectomy, even still on Fluoxetine, I am again developing night sweats, anxiousness, inability to sleep. My question is do u have to take hormones post-hysterectomy if you were in full menopause prior?

Also PRE-hysterectomy, I had a very active yoga practice. If you practice yoga, you know it involves a lot of core. Anyone have an idea how soon I could safely resume my practice?

Also same for swimming. When would it be safe just to take a dip in my pool? I'm scared of any chance of bacteria getting to my wounds although we do keep our pool super clean.

Thank you in advance to those who provide answers. This website has been a blessing for me. I was feeling so alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Re: 11 days post op - have so any ?'s

I am only a few days behind you. I don't know HOW you managed without taking pain meds - did you have a full abdominal hyster?

Yes, that darn gas - sounds like you are not on stool softner? Or Mira lax? I don't know what I would have done without them. Also, it has been really usefull for me to take charcoal tablets to absorb gas.

Go gently, Yoga One ... gently! It is a time, as the post op videos explain to go super slow and I have had to really remind myself of that...

xoxo
jem
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Hi Jem,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I was laughing at your pain pill question in a totally good way. I attribute my strength to the gift of yoga. I learned so much about my body through it and I used those skills of breathing through the pain. I didnt realize just 4 days of pain pills wasn't so bad. From some of the women I heard from from the Davinci site PRE-hysterectomy, was feeling like a wuss that I wasn't out jogging by day 8. LOL.

and yes, I had a full hysterectomy. Everything out! I'm 51 and had female problems all of my life. Never could have kids. I was just holding on to my parts for no reason. 3 docs in the last 25 years told me I needed to do it. I kept doctor jumping to hear what I wanted to hear. But I had been in menopause for 3 years, no periods. But this last fibroid/cyst that burst scared me really bad. So my husband and I gave it much thought together and I finally decided to do it. I just didn't want to miss out on my yoga and basically life in general. But like my straight up sweetest husband ever said, "miss out on 4 weeks or forever, your choice." Oh, how I love him.

My doc didn't talk to me about bowel stuff. Thanks for the suggestions. I see him Friday. Guess we're gonna have to chat about it.

Thanks also for reminding me to take it easy and not rush my yoga. I miss it a lot. My yoga teacher told me I could go sit and meditate when I'm cleared to drive. I might have to take her up on that.

Well, good to know someone else is on my healing time. Hope you continue to feel better. Thanks for the input.

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to go directly to your response other than scrolling down on recent posts. Is there a faster way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM

I have also been very fortunate, no pain at all. I woke up in recovery feeling great and came home not needing any meds. I have now gotten some burning sensation going on, Dr said it is the nerves waking up. Please do not go swimming! That is a big no no. Nothing in the vagina for 6-8 weeks, means water as well. You could be setting yourself up for a big infection. Trust me I am dying to get in the pool also, but cant. My DaVinci was June 1st. I was very fortunate, never had any gas pains at all, and BM came back on day 2, and were totally normal and easy. Definitley take it east, the inside takes a while to heal. I am shopping and driving, have been since day 3. But will not lift anything....and I mean that. The heaviest I have lifted is the tv remote. I dont carry a purse at all right now, I will not even open doors when going into a store. I am being super careful, and no bending!! Lifting and bending are the 2 big no no's. Good luck to you!!
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM

I took Beano before all my meals and GasX as needed other times. I also took stool softeners even though I am on a high fiber diet. It does reduce the amount of pushing/straining on the tummy muscles. I was pretty fit going into surgery but some of those gas pains were certainly quite painful!

I have used Mederma successfully with other scars and plan to do the same with my new ones. I haven't had any abdominal surgeries either and feel the same way you do!
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM

I bet most of us experience a "crazy bag of emotions." I know I did. I think most of us feel the loss of our reproductive organs. I'm post-menopausal. My two sons are grown and married, and I have grandchildren. But I cried more than once post-surgery about losing my womb where my babies grew, and my ovaries where my eggs were produced - even though I knew my reproductive years were long gone. Whether we have children or not, there is a certain finality about losing these organs. I can be rational and say I'm a woman with or without them, but especially the first few weeks post-op, my emotions didn't respond very well to rational thought!

As for yoga - you could probably do some simple and gentle yoga now. Just don't do anything that puts a lot of stress on your abdomen, and back off if anything feels painful. The pool is another story. My doctor didn't want me in the pool until the vaginal cuff was fully healed. Better check with your doctor on this.
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Thank you all so much. How awesome is this site? Women supporting women. We're from all walks of life and the support is beautiful. We're not going down . No way. No how. For the last 3 years I referred to myself as a sole warrior in search of my own answers. How I wish I would have discovered this website back then. I will definitely tell my doctor about it on Friday for my first post-op visit. Oh the power of women! Gotta love it!
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM

I had the Da Vinci done on June 4th. Procedure took 5hrs and I woke up in so much pain in the recovery room and the pain med given to me in recovery dropped my oxygen stats to where I required oxygen. However I haven't been on pain meds for almost a week now and feel pretty good. I am dieing to go swimming already (I live in Texas and it's hot) and ready to get into a good workout routine but of course I know I still have a decent wait ahead of me before the doctor allows me to. They used dermabond on my incision sites and I am pleased with the minimal scarring outcome. For the bowel movements colace has been my best friend. I am feeling pretty decent and the doctor told me at my follow up I look great for what I have went through. Now if only this fatigue would go away.
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Yes, I don't know how to direct reply - glad you are so swell at 11 days I was rushed back to ER, re=admitted, bowel awful stuff - BELIEVE ME, I was yoga breathing thru the pain! No need to go into long descript of the awfullness here, I posted it on my Post Op June 11 section.

LORDY!

3 weeks out now and another hospital stay later - I just want to be WELL!

I hope you are healing ever so beautifully and your Yoga Goddess Self will be back soon stretching and shining.

xoxo
jem

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register