Compare with C-Section??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Compare with C-Section??? Compare with C-Section???

Unread 02-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Compare with C-Section???

Hello everyone,

My curiousity has gotten the best of me. This may sound really idiotic, but here goes anyway. And it's ok to laugh!

Does any one have thoughts on how recovery from a hysterectomy (ab incision) compares with the recovery of a c--section delivery? (other than having nothing to diaper or feed or send to college afterwards) Both of my c-sections, 21 and 23 years ago, were horizontal incisions, and I remember the pain and recovery part just like it was yesterday! Does the old scar interfere with the new scar, do they cut you at the same location, etc? I do know that even after all these years at certain times, especially when the weather changes, my scar itches and burns like crazy! And we won't talk about my flabby belly around my scar!

Thanks for any comments about this!

Mary Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2004, 11:14 AM

I can only answer for me, but I found the Hyst much harder going than my 2 C sections. They cut the same scar for me, but I was much sorer and more bruised after theHyst.
The first few days were similar but I have felt tireder for longer. It isn't suprising really - with the C section they cut me and sewed me up again. This time they cut me, removed some bits and left lots and lots more internal stitches than before.
I don't mean to scare you. I really don't think those first few days when it was really sore are any worse, I think it is the later stages at about 3-4 weeks that have been harder for me. I am sure it will be worth it though and I am 5 weeks tomorrow and starting to feel more like my old self again.
I hope it all goes well
Heather
Unread 02-24-2004, 11:21 AM

Mary Jo,

For me the hysterectomy was much easier than the 3 C-Sections I had. Maybe that's because I was the one being pampered. My same incision line was used and it healed the same as before. Recovery was relatively easy and it was nice to get to have all the sleep I needed whenever I felt like napping.

Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2004, 12:01 PM

Hi Mary Jo,

I had 3 c-sections, the last one being in 1997. The TAH I had 3 weeks ago was much worse to me as far as pain and initial recovery for me. I thought I knew what to expect, but was in an incredible amount of pain in the hospital and most of the first week. I think that it was a medication issue. I had demerol for the c-sections in PCA, and had morphine following hyst. I don't think the morphine set well with me. It didn't control the pain and made it impossible for me to walk in the hospital. Demerol did a much better job for me. If you had good pain management with the c-sections, you may want to request the same.

With that being said.....3 weeks out and the pain is very minimal. Very fatigued these days, but not much pain. Getting through the first week was the worst for me, and it has been better every day since.

Let us know how you are doing and if you have any more questions before your surgery!

Sending hugs,

Joy
Unread 02-24-2004, 01:43 PM

I was wondering this too my Doctor says he will remove the old c section scar & so it will be in the same place
Unread 02-24-2004, 01:53 PM

Hi there!
I had 2 cesections within 2 yrs back in 1982 & 1984. I'm just about 6 weeks post op from SAH (kept ovaries and cervix) on 1/14

My doctor went back through my same incision. I have to say that my recovery has overall been fairly good..if not better than my cesections (since I am not lifting a baby or babies..and can rest more than I did back then)
I also refused all pain meds back when I had my babies..because I was nursing them...this time I took the pain meds but actually only needed them the first 24 hours (my pain was 1 or 2 on a scale of 10 being highest)

Biggest thing is retraining yourself to get out of bed...which if you have gone through Cesections..you can probably remember rolling to one side and swinging your legs over and use your arms to push yourself up.

My fatique level is still high...but that is really my only complaint.

Just remember..you only get 1 chance to heal correctly from this so take it easy. I have been reminded that my "Superwoman" cape has been permanently lost and you know what?? I don't miss it one bit!

Good luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register