Had surgery yesterday...my musings - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had surgery yesterday...my musings Had surgery yesterday...my musings

Unread 08-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Re: Had surgery yesterday...my musings

Surprised,

Yes, that's a great way of looking at it. I watched my mom recover from West Nile Virus last fall. She was in a coma for 10 days and we didn't think she would make it. Her recovery started with just twinges in legs and arms that we thought would never move again, then rolling her legs from side to side, then lifting a leg slightly off the bed. Sitting up in a chair was a huge ordeal as was standing with a machine to assist her for the first time.

All those baby steps she took and now she's able to walk with a cane and care for herself (had to relearn everything), so if she can take it one day at a time (and she's totally like me in pushing herself too much!), than I can too.

lrsister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM

LOL about using as a standard for housework "my husband's idea of housework"! I'll find that useful! Ha ha ha! Oh, please, don't make me laugh (belly hurts if I do).

I'm having ups and downs too, but the downs aren't too bad. Yesterday was two days post-op, and I was feeling up for a walk.
I walked around the outside of the house (and took a few mini trips inside the house). Apparently, that was too much because I had some uncomfortable pain last evening. For those afraid of pain, this pain was only a 5 or so, nothing that had me wrapped around the pain.

This morning, friends and husband offered to take me (by car or truck) to a local park or along for a grocery store trip. I declined. That ride home from the hospital was NOT pleasant, and I don't want to feel like that again. I'm fine here at home.

I'm getting scared that my husband is going to wonder why I don't pick up my usual tasks at home: cleaning up the kitchen especially. He's doing it now. A friend said, "Good. Now he'll know what you go through every day, and maybe he'll clean up after himself a little better." Ah, we can HOPE!
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathafreshair View Post
...I'm getting scared that my husband is going to wonder why I don't pick up my usual tasks at home: cleaning up the kitchen especially...
Maybe your husband has enough intelligence and common sense to realize that major abdominal surgery (even if performed laparoscopically) + housework is not going to be a good combination for some weeks yet? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM

I had a pretty great day of surgery and day after surgery. So much so that my doctor let me go home a day before originally intended since she cut open my abdomen. Unfortunately, I felt so good that second day that I got up and down a lot. I didn't really "do" anything, but would get up, lie down, get up, lie down until finally I felt a little pop. Consequently, the next day (yesterday) was rough. I am now only getting up and lying down when I need to go to the restroom. I'm using the time I'm up to get a little exercise, clean myself up, change positions. But the actual task of going from a lying position to a standing position frequently seemed to be too much. I also found it extremely relieving when I finally got my bowels working. My husband said he could see a 180 degree change in my face from when I went into the restroom and when I came out. I wish I had inquired pre op about stool softeners to go ahead and get things ready. My husband and I are newlyweds. I'd say we know each other a lot better after that trip to the bathroom!!! He was on the other side of the door waiting for me and we couldn't stop laughing. It was....shall we say...loud and intense. LOLOLOL
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM

My recovery zigs and zags, good days and not so good days. Two days post surgery (Ralh) was PAIN day....then pain subsided. But is been 4 weeks and still healing....still have the weight restriction and find a way to overdo it every few days.

But don't be discouraged....the good days outnumber the bad....hope you survived your "day 2" with controlled pain and are still having an easy recovery
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM

I am just about 3 weeks post LAVH and I feel great. Had my 1st post op appointment last week and was cleared to lift over 4 lbs within reason, am allowed to go swimming, and can start very slowly exercising (no jumping up and down) no intercourse yet darn. Still having a midday gotta rest thing going on, which is very frustrating. I feel so much better post LAVH. Apparently my fibroid was pressing a nerve in my back, I had no idea I was in constant low grade back pain until it was gone after surgery. So now I am unhappily waiting for the all clear, patience has never been my strong suit.

Good Luck and Heal well!
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM

It is awesome you are feeling great from you surgery, but the surgery is major and PLEASE do not try to move too fast because it can cause you more damage and discomfort in the future. Take it easy. I am in tip top shape. I am a Figure Competitor, I walked about three hours after my surgery, but I am still taking it slow. Also, make sure you are following your doctor's orders to the "T".
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Hi everyone I had DvH on Friday August 16 and feeling great only gas pain thanks to everyone advise gas x is a most have... works really good with some walking help... only tylenol for pain since day#2 ... good luck everyone with a fast recovery... hugs....
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM

I had minimally invasive di Vinci on 8/16 and I am listening to dr.'s orders to rest. I've spoken to so many of my friends that have had hystos tell me to just take it easy and take your family's and friends offers for help. I have notice how quickly I get tired doing little things so I am listening to my body. The recommendation for ice packs and taking your pain meds is key. Good luck to others and best wishes for fast recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register