um...vaginal texture...for lack of better word? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

um...vaginal texture...for lack of better word? um...vaginal texture...for lack of better word?

Unread 10-09-2013, 08:24 PM
um...vaginal texture...for lack of better word?

Ok, five weeks post op, TVH, keeping ovaries, urethral sling, minor anterior repair, major posterior repair.

At four week post op, just before I went to see doc, I ventured to feel just inside the opening of my vagina and it felt lumpy, like a whole bunch of skin tags or something (actually pictured a poor dog that was infested with overgrown deer ticks - gross, I know but those kinds of tags/lumps).

Anyway, doc said to just be patient and allow it to heal. Now, a week later, and my perineum is much less tender, so I ventured a feel again....and gosh, the WHOLE thing feels like that. (note - he stuck a speculum in there, so my pinky is not going to do harm!).

Anyway, what I wonder is - am I doomed to have this horribly disfigured vagina? I am single and hope to start dating again at the end of this year or so (waiting for divorce dust to settle). I fear having to explain this and worry that some guy would think it's an STD or something.

Am I just being paranoid?

Also having yellow discharge....doesn't smell like urine, but does have an odor...praying it's not urine, as this was supposed to be fixed!

Thanks for listening, hoping I am not crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Re: um...vaginal texture...for lack of better word?

My vagina has always felt lumpy so I don't have any advice for that. lol! As for the yellow discharge, it could be an infection since you stuck your finger inside. The speculum your doctor uses is sterile where your finger is not. It would probably be a good idea to call and let them know what you're experiencing. Good luck!
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali9771 View Post

Now, a week later, and my perineum is much less tender, so I ventured a feel again....and gosh, the WHOLE thing feels like that. (note - he stuck a speculum in there, so my pinky is not going to do harm!)

Also having yellow discharge....doesn't smell like urine, but does have an odor...praying it's not urine, as this was supposed to be fixed!
Nothing in the vagina means just that....nothing. The doctor's speculum has been sterilized and won't cause an infection. Hopefully the yellow discharge isn't the beginning of an infection. Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, or if you start running a temperature, call the doctor.

Hopefully what you felt is normal. If you are really worried about it you could ask your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2013, 08:53 PM

yes, I realize that....and it was a sterile gloved finger (I'm a nurse, so I knew not to go there with regular finger)....it's not thick yellow...just urine like...and I had it prior at the time of exam and doc said it was normal and not concerned....I just fear it's urine. Side note - while speculum was sterile, the gloved hand/fingers he inserted for the rest of the exam was not...still, I did have enough sense to use sterile gloves that I have in my box of medical goodies.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM

as for the feeling - he did not say it was or was not normal, all he said was "let's let everything have time to heal and settle down"...I felt like he was dodging the question and not giving me a straight answer. I had a "bumpy texture" previously - my physical therapist actually found it during one of my pelvic floor exams....had doc check it out and was told that it was the result of the repairs I had from the traumatic childbirth of my daughter many years ago, with third degree lacerations that required two hours of repair/stitching....yes, it healed to a minor bumpiness that was hardly noticeable....but also quite far "in"....this is just at the opening and has me freaked....trying to be patient as he told me to, but still worried because he seemed to dodge the question.
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Hi ali9771

When I worked as a midwife I examined a lot of vaginas -everyone was different

I think you'll find when you do meet someone they'll be fine with whatever your vagina is like, as they won't know what it was like before

Try not to worry - healing can take months after surgery so give yourself some time.
If you get a mirror to check down below and 'cough' you should see if you leak urine.

It might be worth speaking to your doctor again about your worries - until you get the reassurance you need.
Take care x
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM

It feels like something is falling out - like when you where a tampon too long - so I, too, ventured in with my finger and was also disturbed with what it felt like. When I called the doc earlier in the week about it feeling like something falling out, she said that it was normal, there were internal stitches feeling. Today when I felt it, I was crying when I called the doctor so I got an appt for tomorrow to gain reassurance. I'm also leaking yellowish- and had a sling installed before so I know what that should feel like. I only feel like I am leaking slightly less that pre-op.

Tired all the time like everyone else. Eating right, drinking water, taking quality vitamins, got a B12 shot, exercising appropriately - wanted to go back to work next week at 4 weeks post-op but I can't stay awake more than 2-3 hours -- can't sleep more than 90 mins-2 hours though. Sigh.
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM

I, too, want to nap, but can't fall asleep...laying there staring at the ceiling does not work for me. I am five weeks post op....I know my doc is just going to say "let's wait until things heal some more", so there is no point in going back, he isn't going to reassure me anymore than he has. I don't know if I buy the "it's the internal stitches you are feeling" story because these felt like "skin tags" and not just lumps that would shrink....but I will try to be patient. that's all I can do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register