Surgery 9/4: Supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 9/4: Supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy Surgery 9/4: Supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy

Unread 08-20-2015, 04:53 AM
Surgery 9/4: Supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy

Hi there I went for my pre op appointment today and the gynae nurse with 36 years experience had to google it when I said I was having a supra cervical hysterectomy (they leave cervix) This got me thinking... Is anyone else having this procedure? I have fibroids and endometriosis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2015, 06:27 AM

Hi SummerTilly,

I, too, am having a supracervical hysterectomy. I chose this method as it sounds like it may make the surgery a little easier and may help with future prolapse issues ( although i dont know if there is enough data yet to support that). I havent scheduled my surgery yet, as I am going on Lupron first to reduce the size of my uterus and fibroid. I am also planning to keep my ovaries as well. Just the tubes and uterus are going. It is just a question now of whether Ill have an abdominal incision or laproscopic surgery. Best of luck to you on your journey.
Unread 08-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Re: Supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy - anyone else?

I was supposed to have a TAH. However I ended up keeping part of my cervix. My dr was unable to get all of my cervix away from my bladder without nicking it.

The healing time was no different. Only difference is he did not have to do a pelvic exam to check healing of the vaginal cuff that is made when they take the cervix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2015, 08:30 PM

Hi SummerTilly,

I had a Laparoscopic SupraCervical Hysterectomy...and kept my cervix. I am still very glad I was a good candidate to keep my cervix.

Best wishes,

Historylady
Unread 08-21-2015, 11:21 AM

I'm scheduled for a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy, for fibroids and adenomyosis. I wouldn't worry too much about the pre-op nurse, I've noticed that many older nurses aren't as up to date with their info. If your doctor told you that's what she/he would be doing, then that's what's happening. I chose to keep my cervix because I didn't want to have to deal with the vaginal cuff, and thought that while there's not a lot of evidence about sexual health, it made sense to me to err on the side of caution.

Good luck to you, and a speedy recovery!
Unread 08-21-2015, 11:45 AM

I had a SAH almost 5 weeks ago...Ovaries and cervix kept. Only uterus and tubes were removed. My doc told me that my cervix is healthy and she didn't want to remove it if she didn't have to. She said that leaving it would provide more support to my other organs once the uterus was removed. After removing my uterus, she cauterized my cervix to lessen the chance of getting a monthly "mini period".

My recovery has been very smooth and so far. I had an enlarged uterus (6 month pregnancy size) with multiple very large fibroids and was also put on Lupron for three months before the surgery to try to shrink it so the doc could remove it laparoscopically. It didn't work very well on me though. It only shrunk a very small percentage and I bled continually while on it. She was unable to remove it laparoscopically because of this and had to do an abdominal horizontal "bikini cut" to remove it. The doctor also found endometriosis on one of my ovaries during the surgery.

The first few weeks after surgery were painful (but not as bad as I was thinking it would be) and I still have some pain at times but I feel so much better and so relieved! I can't wait to fully recover and move on with my life happy and period-free and pain-free!

Happy and healing thoughts to you all!
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:11 PM

I had a supracervical laparoscopic, with 4 small lapaprascopic incisions plus a 4" bikini cut.

My uterus was 20-week pregnancy size. Adenomyosis.

Left cervix and ovaries. It took me quite a while to find the right doctor (he was my 5th!), but I'm convinced that his expertise, plus leaving all the healthy stuff, was the reason for my extremely smooth recovery.

It's hard for me to even remember now, only 11 weeks later, that I even had this surgery. Other than a bit of numbness just above the incision I feel great.

I've had zero bleeding, zero pain, zero of everything. I did have some PMS symptoms a few weeks ago (moodiness, cravings), but no cramps or pain.

I figured, if it's healthy, leave it. Can always take it out later if something happens, but cannot put it back.

Pathology came back adenomyosis only. No fibroids, malignancy, etc.

Lots of different decisions out there, so do your research.
Unread 08-24-2015, 03:31 AM

Thank you all so much for replying! I am so glad to hear of others who have had the same surgery I'm about to have.

I've got my hospital kit ready (just about). They don't provide gowns here in Australia except for surgery and then once you're back in your bed, you go into your own nightie or PJs.

My body pillow arrived today and I've bought some soft bras to wear under my nighties so that the girls are pointing in the right direction

Just need to go to the library for some books, add some more to my kindle and download a few movies onto my ipad.

I've also bought some chocolates to give the nurses when I arrive at the hospital.

What did you take that made your stay more comfortable?
Unread 08-24-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTilly View Post
Just need to go to the library for some books, add some more to my kindle and download a few movies onto my ipad.

I've also bought some chocolates to give the nurses when I arrive at the hospital.

What did you take that made your stay more comfortable?
I never brought my nurses anything, and I wish that I had. Great idea to stash the chocolates. You could wait until the end of your stay to hand them out, as I'm sure they will so much appreciate it.

How long are you in the hospital? I was only there for one night, so I didn't pack much.

They will give you little slipper socks, but I'd also pack slippers, as you'll be up and walking around the first morning after your surgery.

Others have mentioned (I didn't bring, but it would have been smart for me to): ear plugs, iPod, extra blanket, favorite pillow.

For me, since I was only there 1 night, I wanted to pack as lightly as possible. I used a very small rolling bag, and I walked out of the hospital, rolling the bag behind me. I purposely kept the bag very lightweight without a lot of stuff, so it would be easy for me to manage.

All I brought was:
Small amount of toiletries
Sundress that would easily slip over my head
Bra, XL size granny-panties (that I never wore, as I preferred the hospital mesh ones)
Slippers
Phone

I did not bring an iPod or any books or iPad or Kindle. Truthfully, while I was there, I didn't have the focus or energy to use any of these things. I didn't even turn on the t.v.

However, it is better to have and not need, as you'd hate to be there wishing you brought things.

Will you have someone with you who can help you carry? Help you get home?
Unread 08-24-2015, 03:48 PM

And BTW, the term "supracervical" was something I had never heard of, until my doctor said it. I said, "No, I'd like to keep my cervix" and he laughed and said "yes, that's what that means".

It's becoming a lot more common to leave cervix and ovaries if they are healthy. I'm convinced that that's largely the reason for my smooth recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register