Total Vaginal Hysterectomy scheduled for tomorrow...to work or not to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total Vaginal Hysterectomy scheduled for tomorrow...to work or not to work? Total Vaginal Hysterectomy scheduled for tomorrow...to work or not to work?

Unread 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Total Vaginal Hysterectomy scheduled for tomorrow...to work or not to work?

My vaginal hysterectomy is scheduled for tomorrow. I am getting nervous because I really dont know what to expect. I am a self employed hairstylist. I only scheduled myself to be off for about 2 1/2 weeks. I already have appts booked for when I get back. Its tricky trying to figure out what to do and when and how many people I should take when I have no Idea how I am going to feel. If I stay out to long, I risk losing some of my clientele. If I come back to soon and over do it and have to take even more time off, i also risk losing clients. This is my career that I love, it is my source of income and my passion. It is very very important to me that I retain my clients and am there to make them happy.
I have heard a few different opinions on how long I should take off from people I know who have also had the same surgery, and to no surprise they were very different. I realize everyone is different and their bodys will heal and feel different. Do you think it is safe to leave my scheduled appts the way they are and just see how I feel?

Also, I have heard that you wake up from surgery in a lot of pain. Is this true for most?

Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Re: Total Vaginal Hysterectomy scheduled for tomorrow...to work or not to work?

I can not imagine going back to work so soon if you will have to be standing on your feet all day. You can be sure that your body will tell you loud and clear when you have over done it. If you absolutely need to work, maybe you can start back working just a partial day and put some space between your clients to give you some time to sit bac and relax.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM

Going back to work that early might be pretty rough. Alot depends on how well you heal and the type of work you have.

I did go back to work only part time 3 weeks after my TAH BSO, and that was TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH!!!! I could only work part time for another 4 weeks, before I could handle full time.

Perhaps you can very slowly ease back into work. Maybe only an appointment or two, but keep it very minimal. Have the option to reschedule. I am sure your clients will understand given the circumstances.

Regarding pain, everyone is different. They will ask you when you wake up how much pain you are in and will give you meds to match.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM

Thank you. I'm starting to panic about work. Ill see how I'm doing week two and reschedule if I need to.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM

I hope all went well today with your surgery. I am a hairdresser also and had a LSH on Friday, 3/15 and went back to work on Wed.3/27. If my belly button hadn't gotten infected I would have been OK. By Sat 3/30 I had a full day and did just fine.
I think it all depends why you are having your TVH, how healthy you are going in, and how YOU heal. Everyone is different.
Can you get an assistant to help when you first go back? Book a little lighter? Only work a few hours a day your first week back?

Good Luck
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Talk with your doctor, too. S/he should be able to help you know what expereince other patients have had. One lady in my recovery thread went back at two weeks and it was really hard on her, but she said she didn't have a choice. Another who is self-employed talked about taking little naps after working an one or two. If you are booked solid for 8 hrs, it will probably be too much. If you have clients one or two in a row and then can take a rest, you might be able to... best wishes and prayers!
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I do have an assistant with me on Saturdays and that will be my first full day back ( the 20th ). I did book quite a few appts, so may need to call a few and reschedule.
I am doing well and not in much pain. The gas pain is worse than the pain from surgery. I will just see how I am doing and book accordingly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register