Changes post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Changes post-op? Changes post-op?

Unread 09-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Changes post-op?

What will change for me? What effects will my body experience without Estrogen? Will I wrinkle faster? Will my boobs sag (more)? Will I have a decreased sex drive? Will monthly achne go away? Will osteoporosis set in? Will my hair begin to thin or fall out? Is there anything I haven't thought of?? And by the way, I can't take Estrogen replacements due to high blood pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Changes post-op?

I'm not post-op, but I have tried to just relax and realize that some things I just won't know about until after the surgery. Some sisters can tell you what it did to them, but you have no way of knowing exactly how it is going to affect your body until after the hyst. It's kinda rotten that it works that way. Good luck on the journey to the castle!
Unread 09-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Changes post-op?

Hi,

When we go through surgical menopause it can be harder than a woman who goes through it naturally, and especially if this happens before we have reached menopausal age. We are all different so it is hard to say how it will affect you.

Here is a link on menopause and symptoms:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/men...119/DSECTION=2

We also have some good information in our Resources Library as well ,if you would like to read more about menopause and hormones.

I hope this helps you some.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Changes post-op?

Hi Marilyn,

I was wondering if your blood pressure is the only reason for not using HRT after surgery. Estrogen, as a hormone, helps regulate so many of our bodies functions, and there are so many forms of it. Many women do well with the bio-identical compounded hormones which mostly use the weaker estrogen estriol. Being compounded, you can even get all estriol if that is best for you. I wonder if this might be an option for you?

Here is a link to a list of Too much Estrogen, Too Little . There is a list there of "Lack of Estrogen" symptoms which may answer your question.

One last thought. It is very common for the best of surgeons to not be the best Dr's for hormone issues. I had an excellent surgeon and I also have a very good family Dr. However, to get the best HRT, I eventually ended up calling a local compounding pharmacist and asking them for a referal to a Dr who prescribes HRT according to the patient's needs and not a "one size fits all" . Here is a list of Compounding Pharmacies in the US which may help you find a compounding pharmacist in your area. It might be a good idea to go ahead and visit a Dr knowledgeable about the various forms of HRT and it's effects on you, before your surgery, so that you can have a plan (or at least options) as soon as you come out of your surgery.

I am glad you are asking questions. Do the research and learn as much as you can so you will be able to work with your Dr to make the best decisions for you.

and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Changes post-op?

Hi Marilyn
I agree, it's a good thing to ask questions and to prepare yourself for what might come. Educating ourselves about our health is one of the most important things we can do. We're all different and no one can know exactly which symptoms we will deal with personally.
I wanted to add here that I haven't been told this about high blood pressure and was just curious where you have received this information. I have had high blood pressure for several years now and take medication to control it ,but I have been taking bioidenticals since a few weeks after my surgery. I have never been told there could be a problem. I feel that the hormones help keep me calmer, relieve stress and perhaps play a part in keeping my blood pressure lower. This might be information you would want to recheck.
I personally feel the benefits of taking hrt far out weigh any negatives. I wish you well in your research.
's, Rita
Unread 09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Changes post-op?

lady boiler,i wonder the same thing ,i am sheduled the 22nd sept,talk to your doctor talk to a nutritionist ,eat well sleep well ,walk take a deep breathe when you have done all that you can to stay heathy the rest will depend on our bodies im trying to not worry so much but i fall in and out of worry ,take care of yourself leela,
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Changes post-op?

Hi Marilyn About the high blood pressure question... my experience has been the opposite -- when I try to lower my estrogen dose, my blood pressure rises sky high. I once ended up in the ER with a BP of 190/120 because I was trying to wean myself down to the lowest dose estrogen patch. I've since read that estrogen helps keep our blood from sticking to the walls of our blood vessels and also keeps those walls nice and elastic (able to dilate and constrict as they should).

Here's a link to a thread in the No-Hormone Desert Oasis about the connection between high blood pressure and hormones:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=104592

I hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register