4 weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post op 4 weeks post op

Unread 10-29-2008, 05:19 PM
4 weeks post op

I am just over 4 weeks post op from full abdominal hysterectomy and on the whole feel very well. Is anyone else, however, having trouble lying down in bed at night?. I have tried on several occasions and have mostly resorted to sleeping on the settee, as have pulling sensation in my sides when lying down and can manoeuvre myself better when on settee. Also is anyone else who is at the same stage of recovery as me, feeling as if something is lodged between belly button and pubic bone? I have feeling of pressure and have trouble straightening out when walking etc, especially when bowel is not completely empty. I assume this is normal due to internal stitches and swelling etc but interested to know how common it is?
Thanks and happy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
4 weeks post op

I had problems up until a couple of days ago. I am 4 weeks today.

I am amazed at how much the last few days I have "healed".

I had the same problem with anything that I did that I wasn't flat on my back the pulling and tugging. Sitting up and getting up and down were the worst. I was put back in bed after the 2nd week due to the pain. Then mine just suddenly stopped. I called my doctor and he said after the 4th week you see improvement daily.
Unread 10-29-2008, 06:45 PM
4 weeks post op

Hi!

Same day surgery (TAH/BSO) and still have that problem straightening up when you get up (especially first thing in morning with bladder full, etc). It works out after a few seconds but I can't go straight upright like I did pre-surgery. It's probably a good thing so we don't rip anything inside (newly healed tissue or stitches left, etc.)

I haven't felt like something is lodged inside, but have felt some twinges that were odd where the pelvic floor is, like something is rubbing against it.

As for sleeping, I just can't get comfortable. Once I'm asleep I can stay asleep but getting there is still difficult most days, even with Advil PM. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't feel "right" yet either. today I had dd help me fold this super plush blanket over the bed and I'm going to see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2008, 07:56 AM
4 weeks post op

Are you lying flat? It helps to have a couple pillows under your head and shoulders and to have a pillow under your knees.
The first couple weeks dh slept on the couch, now I'm on the coudh cuase my bed is causing me problems.
I go to sleep, wake up-wide awake-have to turn then tyr to get back to sleep.
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM
4 weeks post op

I had TAH/BSO (and panniculectomy - so I have a 22" incision) on Oct 1 and still not having good success sleeping in my bed, even with extra pillows to prop up my upper body more (I also put pillows all around me so I won't turn on my side by accident). Tried again last night to sleep in bed and woke up very very sore. So I guess I'll continue to sleep in the couch for a while longer...lol.

When I asked my Dr. about this last week she wasn't surprised and said that with abdominal surgery it can take a while as everything heals before you'll feel comfortable lying flatter. I've also had the pressure, tightness and swelling, but it has improved significantly. I suppose it all just takes time. I've also seen quite an increase in the rate of improvement since the beginning of the this (4th) week... its kind of wild! However, everyone is different, so for some it may take a bit longer.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...Hang in there!
Unread 10-30-2008, 02:58 PM
4 weeks post op

Don't know if this will help you ladies but I found that I could only sleep with my knees bent, didn't matter if I was on my side or back they just had to be bent. I am just coming up to 11 weeks post op and found I could lie with my legs straight this week for the first time.

Waking as you try to turn over in bed seems fairly common too, I was still doing it up to about 6 weeks. I did manage to get on my side (normal sleeping position) day 4 post op using a small cushion against my tummy for comfort.

Don't forget to use your arms to help you turn over in bed or to get yourself up from the bed, sofa or chair. Your tummy muscles will thank you & you will be in less discomfort!

I think the tight feeling is possibly the swelly belly, I still feel as though I am wearing a low slung, very tight belt when I have done too much or later in the day.

Katy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register