My castle stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My castle stay My castle stay

Unread 05-25-2002, 04:16 PM
My castle stay

I hope yall don't mind but I just wrote one letter to yall and my other friends and just pasted and copied. I figured that is easier than writing it over and over. But I did add a few things to yall so here it is:

Ok so they say three times a charm, I already wrote this twice and lost both of them. So I'm trying again. Ok now where to start. I had to be at the castle by 6 am. Got to the castle and they showed me my room. They told me to change into the beautiful (haha) hospital gowns. At about 9:30 am they started my IV. And we waited some more. The waiting was the hardest. They finally came got me at 1:15pm. They took me down to pre op. There they gave me a shot full of that stuff that suppose to make you relax and sleepy, it didn't do much for me and they put on one of those beautiful blue caps. Then at 2 pm they wheel me into surgery. They put me on the surgery tape and my doctor pulls a chair right next to me and held my hand and talked to me till I was out. Next thing I know I'm in recovery in very bad pain. They give me my hormone shot then. They finally bring me into my room at about 6 or 7. I have my morphine drip and they explain it to me. My DH spent the night with me. Chelsie my oldest kept the other 2 girls. We had friends check in on them. I feel so sorry for my DH he didn't get to much sleep because I kept waking him up to either get me something to drink, my throat was so dry the whole time I was in the castle, or to help me roll over. Everytime I woke up I was in really bad pain, because I would hit the button the sleep awhile so when I wake up I would push it. So it was an eventful night. The next morning the doctor came in and told me that it was a very unique sticker I had on my stomach, for yall that don't know what I'm talking about my hystersisters ( a wonderful website about hysterectomy) told me about this. So I made a sticker that said Property of Dr.( my doctor's name) so handle with care but please leave some hair cause I don't like to be bare Have a wonderful day. He said they loved it and got a really good laugh out of it. I can't remember what time, the nurse came in to check my vitals and I so happen to look at my wrist and it was swollen so I asked the nurse if it was suppose to be like that and she looked at it and said oh no we have to put another IV in.Since the IV came out of the vein I had to have antibiotics, they also took the drip away at this time. And they were fixing to take the IV out too. But she had to put another one. She put it in the bend of my arm. She also took the catheter out which I was glad cause I kept feeling like I had to go to the bathroom. They tried to get me up to go to the bathroom but I almost passed out. So back to bed I went. The rest of the day was a blur. My kids, DH and nurse filled me in on how the day went. Well my kids told me they came visited for about 3 1/2 hrs and was on the floor rolling at me. They wanted to go get a camcorder, the nurses told them they were so mean laughing at me like that ( when they told me I couldn't believe it and laughed too). The nurse told me that she came in one time and I was just talking away, nobody was in the room, she asked who I was talking to and I told her my sister (my sister lives in Texas). She said what and where. I told her don't you see that blond girl sitting in the chair that's my sister Sandi so tell her hi. Then my Dh and kids said that I hollered at my husband for putting salt in my water, they said I had just drank out of it and didn't say anything then. I hollered at my daughter for using my chapstick. I told her it was someone else's and they were going to be mad and she was going to have to buy them another one. They said I wouldn't stop until she said she would buy another one. Then I told the nurse that my throat hurt ( it didn't hurt when I came back to earth) so she sprayed some of that nasty stuff in it, later she came back and asked me how my throat was and I told her what. She said did the medicine that I snorfleed in your throat help and I told her no you sprayed that in my ear. Well I could go on and on. When I finally came back to earth my husband called and told me they were home I got upset and told him I thought they were coming visit me, well they did I just didn't know it. Sometime during the day they took my IV out and I didn't know it. Friday wasn't a good day, but I did manage to take a shower which wore me out. I walked allot and drank allot of water but for some reason I couldn't get the gas out. Well in the afternoon it got so bad that it felt like a bunch of tennis balls were rolling in my stomach. I was in so much pain that I was crying and all curled up (as much as I could). I was willing to try anything to make it go. I drank prune juice, which I will never drink again, we tried 2 suppositories and they we finally tried an enema that helped some of the gas come out but not all. And I for got to ask for a pain pill. I had one that morning. I felt alittle better and to add to that I was having hot flashes so bad. Didn't sleep to good last night. Was up bright and early this morning. I got up too a shower and packed, DH helped. I did ask for a pain pill for the ride home. I got out of the hospital at about 10am. It's so good being home. I'm feeling really good, haven't had to take any pain pills. I have been walking little distances at a time and drinking allot. I feel so good like I could do anything but all I can do is sit that is when I'm not doing a short walk. I have a very long cut on the bottom of my stomach and my stomach is really bruised allot. Where the cut is and blow feels so weird it's numb. Sorry this is so long. I wanted to share it with yall, hope yall don't mind. Thank yall for all the thoughts and prayers they all got answered. Well I'm going to go rest again. The easy thing is I can sit here and type on Dh's computer. I hope everyone is feeling wonderful. Oh and the nurses like the treats. I had some good nurses and some bad. Friday night (first time I was by myself) I had to go to the bathroom so I called the nurses I waited and waited and they never came so I had to get out of bed by myself and go. Then another I was hurting and called for some medicine it took them what seemed like an hour to come bring me some. But all in all the stay at the castle was great. Because of hystersisters I was prepared. Thank yall so much for everything.
Hugs,
Gina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 04:35 PM
Welcome Home!

Welcome Home Gina!
Good to see you home! Glad things are going well - (all considered) You had me laughing with the stories of your talking to the wall, etc.
I felt a little panic when you were talking about going to the OR but I am glad you wrote with so much detail! We liw really need the details to prepare!
Remember your training! Rest, drink, rest, walk, rest rest rest!!!

Take care!!

s

Kelley

Unread 05-25-2002, 04:36 PM
Hi Gina

It sounds like it went well for you. Your visit with the DH and kids was too funny. My tummy hurts from laughing. And my kids think that I am nuts sitting here laughing at the computer. I am glad to hear that you are feeling good. Just be careful and get plenty of rest. Even though you feel real good, you still have alot of healing to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register