Walk home? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Walk home?

My house is about a 5 minute walk from the hospital I'm I crazy to think I can walk home? (I walked there in active labor)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Re: Walk home?

I don't think you should try it. If you are a minute or two into the walk and have problems, what would you do? You need some time to heal up and get your strength back.
Unread 11-30-2013, 09:52 AM

That will be so very early in your recovery, when your body needs rest the most. I don't think it's a good idea, even with a walker, you'll likely be in pain, and you'll be pushing your body when it is most vulnerable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM

Thank you!
Unread 11-30-2013, 12:13 PM

I don't own a car and walk everywhere, year 'round, in an area with lots of hills. I walk a mile each way to get to the supermarket and carry the groceries home in a backpack. I walk a mile and a half each way to get to work. I walk three miles each way when I want to go out to the mall.

Could I have done a 5 minute walk home after surgery? Sure thing - *IF* the hospital had been willing to let me stay there for a week, LOL. *AND* (this is important) if someone had walked with me to carry my belongings from the hospital, since at that point I wasn't allowed to lift more than 10 lbs.
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM

I'm not sure the hospital will let you.
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:10 PM

As much as you think you can I think its not the best idea. Maybe you should have a ride. Best of luck to you.
Belinda
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:14 PM

I would definitely tell you that you should NOT walk home from the hospital. Even if its only a five minute walk. Especially if you're by yourself I would not advise you to try to walk home after an operation. I stayed one night and then upon release they "had" to wheel me down stairs and to my vehicle. They said its a liability issue. I'm praying you have great doctors and if you do I'm almost 100% positive they will advise you not to walk home after surgery.
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Whether or not your hospital will let you even walk out the door depends on the hospital policy. I've had three OR procedures this year in three different hospitals - cataract surgery, a hysteroscopy/D&C and a hysterectomy. The hysterectomy hospital belongs to a different system than the other two hospitals.

For the cataract surgery and the hysteroscopy/D&C, I was released after a short time in the recovery room. Both hospitals insisted that I be wheeled in a wheelchair to the front door and turned over to someone (friend or family - not a taxicab driver) who was waiting there for me with a car. No car, no release, end of story.

For the hysterectomy, I had a TAH with a three-day hospital stay. By the time I was released, I was off narcotic painkillers, plus the nurses had been watching me walk laps around the ward for two days. The friend who came to pick me up was surprised that I wasn't getting a wheelchair. The nurse was surprised my friend thought a wheelchair would be necessary. I broke the stand off by pretending that I was about to pick up my backpack, which caused my friend to grab it instead. Once she had it, I said, "Great, let's go," and headed for the elevator.

She'd had to park a bit away from the front door - it took maybe a minute or two to walk. I was fine with that and with pulling myself up into her truck, but I was glad she was there to carry my pack. And to drive the truck, LOL! Also, I knew that if I *did* have trouble, I could just sit down and wait while she brought the truck to me.
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:37 PM

As much as you think you can I think its not the best idea. Maybe you should have a ride. Best of luck to you.
Belinda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register