Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?
Yes, I kept my ovaries. 2,500 47.55%
Yes, I kept ONE ovary. 592 11.26%
Yes, I kept one/both ovaries but they were removed during a later surgery. 78 1.48%
No, both ovaries were removed during my hysterectomy. 2,088 39.71%
Voters: 5258. You may not vote on this poll

Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Unread 01-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Had TAH on Dec 30, 09.... Originally DR was to take everything but ovaries. He ended up leaving both ovaries and both tubes. I was precancerous in my uterus and had been having annoyingly heavy "hemmoraging" periods on and off for about 10 years. My husband and I wanted a child together but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm lucky enough and blessed enough I do have 1 beautiful daughter(she'll be 13 in February) from my first marriage. I'm glad I could keep my ovaries b/c being only 35 I wasn't ready to go into menopause and be on HRT. Although since surgery, I do get hot flashes.... Hoping it will cease as I heal. Thanks Hystersisters... Great website!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 08:35 AM

After going back and forth on whether to keep my ovaries or let them go, I opted to have them removed but wish now that I hadn't. I was 46 at the time and my surgeon recommended having them removed although she said it was my choice. She is younger than me and had her own ovaries removed when she had a hysterectomy herself. Her reasoning was to alleviate the risk of ovarian cancer. Because of my age and the fact that I was starting to have some menopausal symptoms, I decided to go ahead with the whole shebang since I figured I would be menopausal before too much longer anyway. I'm regretting my decision now because after almost a year including various doses of Vivelle, Estratest & compounded testosterone, I have absolutely 0 interest in sex. Before my hysterectomy, my husband & I enjoyed a very satisfying sex life. Maybe if I had kept my ovaries, I would have had at least a few good years of libido remaining. As awkward as it may be, I recommend asking women you know who have had hysterectomies about this personal and not much discussed issue.
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM

I did not want to go through surgical menopause so I decided to keep my ovaries. I am concerned, when I naturally go through menopause, with HRT as my family history has not been served well by them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Didn't keep my ovaries

I am 50 years old and would go through menopause within a few years any way. I discussed with my doctor whether to keep them or not and his advice was since I was so close to menopause any way they should be removed so there wouldn't be the risk of ovarian cancer which is hard to detect. But he totally left the choice up to me.
Unread 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM

I chose to have them out because I do not have cancer in my family but my uterus decided not to know that and became precancerous. I am 53 and am postmenopausal so it is good timing for me. Since I don't have the family history I told the dr that I didn't want to chance it with the ovaries. It is harder to catch ovca early. He said that he understood my reasoning and that I was only getting a little testosterone from the old girls anyway. He hasn't put me on hrt and doesn't plan to either. Doing great so far, I have never had a hotflash yet, here's hoping
Unread 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM

I kept both my ovaries. I am 42. Breast cancer is rampant in my family so I didn't want to have to do HRT if at all possible. My doc and I had an agreement beforehand though that she would take them if there was anything suspicious when she got in there. Fortunately she said they were gorgeous.
Unread 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM

I'm just amazed that at 52 you were "nowhere near menopause." That's very unusual. I do have friends who've not had any real symptoms & just stopped the periods, so maybe that's what you would have done.
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:23 PM

I am 45 years old. I was able to keep both my ovaries. It wasn't an option to have them removed. I have a history of pulmonary embolism. Because of this I cant have hrt. My regular gyn insisted I keep them. The uro/gyn was in agreement with this. I dont think anyone in my house is ready for me to go thru menopause. God Bless all you ladies!
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Post - Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

I still have my ovaries. Ovaries were fine and I'd rather keep my own hormones. The uterus was the only thing that caused me troubles. Next week I will celebrate my 2nd anniversary of my hysterectomy....can't believe two years have gone by!

During these two years, I ovulated and had what some call a "mini-period" as I kept my cervix as well. Went through the tender breast symptoms but no messy period to put up with!!

I have only noticed in the past few months that ovulation is maybe taking place every 2-3 months now. I don't have menopausal symptoms except a nightsweat every now and then. I will be 54 in August.

So if I hadn't had the surgery, I'd still be miserable and stuck in the house on those bad days.

Now I travel; do things on a whim; with not much thought of periods in my mind at all. It seems a lifetime ago!
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Before my TAH/BSO my Dr. had explained one ovary did have a cyst and we were agreed we would wait until surgery for her to see them, based on what they looked like.

After surgery she said she removed both. I have not heard the pathology results as of yet, I was told that would be discussed at my post-op appointment Jan15th.

It is now clear hot flashes and night sweats is a problem, so it looks like HRT's are in order!

However, I am finding the entire subject complex. I would like to go into my post-op appointment semi-educated and informed and loaded with written questions but, since I am finding the subject of HRT's OVERWHELMING & complex..I do not know that will happen!

At this point it looks like I will be going in blind. Forced into a position of Trusting my Gyno's professional expertise!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register