What to take to hospital?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to take to hospital?? What to take to hospital??

Unread 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
What to take to hospital??

I go to hospital tomorrow morning at 10 for a noon surgery and will be spending the night.

What should I take?? I know I will only be in overnight so don't want to overpack but also don't want to be there wanting something either lol

Any advice?

Cell phone? book? toiletries or do they provide them??

I assume I will be pretty tired that first night so maybe won't need a book?? I am just thinking if I for some reason can't sleep, reading might help??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Re: What to take to hospital??

My best items were my cell phone, its charger, and a short extension cord so it could be plugged in all night. I took headphones and listened to Harry Potter books on my phone- books I know really well and could be lulled to sleep with. (The reader's voice is so calming!) white noise app could do similar.

I took toothbrush and toothpaste, but used the hospitals when the time came.
I took 1 book- but never opened it. I had trouble focusing my eyes (I think from the anesthesia and such) so I had to set my phone to a larger text size for a few days to read email and text friends.

I was also only in one night, do I packed light and was glad I did. Most of my time I just stared dopely off into space, and was pretty happy with that.

Good luck! I had really good caring nurses, and actually almost enjoyed my time in the hospital. I just felt really cared for and was so relieved for the procedure to be over, I was almost giddy. (Plus the apple juice was so tasty- I was so excited every time the nurse brought me more!) I was pretty easy to amuse, I guess. Drugs can be wonderful!

Good luck, sister!
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:42 PM

I wore the clothes home that I wore in. My poor DH hauled my case all over the place. Turns out I only needed mt phone, Kindle and chargers. I wore their clothes and could have cared less. More power to those who changed into their own clothes. An IV makes this difficult. I was in 2 days and I found I really didn't need or want much. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejump View Post
My best items were my cell phone, its charger, and a short extension cord so it could be plugged in all night. I took headphones and listened to Harry Potter books on my phone- books I know really well and could be lulled to sleep with. (The reader's voice is so calming!) white noise app could do similar.

I took toothbrush and toothpaste, but used the hospitals when the time came.
I took 1 book- but never opened it. I had trouble focusing my eyes (I think from the anesthesia and such) so I had to set my phone to a larger text size for a few days to read email and text friends.

I was also only in one night, do I packed light and was glad I did. Most of my time I just stared dopely off into space, and was pretty happy with that.

Good luck! I had really good caring nurses, and actually almost enjoyed my time in the hospital. I just felt really cared for and was so relieved for the procedure to be over, I was almost giddy. (Plus the apple juice was so tasty- I was so excited every time the nurse brought me more!) I was pretty easy to amuse, I guess. Drugs can be wonderful!

Good luck, sister!
Thank you....that is kinda what I was thinking that I might be kind of "out of it" lol...and possibly pretty tired too. Guess I will take a book and my cell phone and charger and just use the hospitals stuff for toiletries...less to carry there and back....and as the nurse said, just wear sweats to the surgery and can wear those home....but I will bring fresh undies~! lol

If anyone can think of anything else I might need...please let me know :-)
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangolady View Post
I wore the clothes home that I wore in. My poor DH hauled my case all over the place. Turns out I only needed mt phone, Kindle and chargers. I wore their clothes and could have cared less. More power to those who changed into their own clothes. An IV makes this difficult. I was in 2 days and I found I really didn't need or want much. Good Luck
Thank you. I thought about bringing my kindle too since it has a bigger screen for getting online or playing games....but then wonder if I will need it...hmmmm
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM

I wore the super soft meshy type undies from the hospital when the time for 'real' clothes came, and asked for some to take home. Softest thing I could imagine by my belly.
Oh, and the book I took was a step up from a kids book- big print and simple plot (and I still didn't open it!)

I also took a small notebook and pen-barely used, but glad I had.
I pared my wallet down to id, insurance card, 1 credit card and a few dollars cash.
And I totally agree with mangolady- hospital gown and robe when walking was just fine for me!
Best to you!
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I wore the super soft meshy type undies from the hospital when the time for 'real' clothes came, and asked for some to take home. Softest thing I could imagine by my belly.
Oh, and the book I took was a step up from a kids book- big print and simple plot (and I still didn't open it!)

I also took a small notebook and pen-barely used, but glad I had.
I pared my wallet down to id, insurance card, 1 credit card and a few dollars cash.
And I totally agree with mangolady- hospital gown and robe when walking was just fine for me!
Best to you!

ThANK YOU!

The hospital will give me underwear????
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
What to take to hospital??

They did for me! Not sure if this is the norm everywhere or not. Also, don't get too excited because they aren't the most flattering or sexy undies... But they are soft, so I was excited. The nurse even had to help me get them on when I realized I I could not raise my foot or bend to reach my foot. Double fun!

(But be aware- the package for the extra undies I got labeled them as maternity- which I found ironically amusing in that moment. But it still made me pause, and saddened me a touch.)

Oh, the power of ugly soft undies!
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
They did for me! Not sure if this is the norm everywhere or not. Also, don't get too excited because they aren't the most flattering or sexy undies... But they are soft, so I was excited. The nurse even had to help me get them on when I realized I I could not raise my foot or bend to reach my foot. Double fun!

(But be aware- the package for the extra undies I got labeled them as maternity- which I found ironically amusing in that moment. But it still made me pause, and saddened me a touch.)

lol I doubt I will care how sexy they are....I am going to be all about the comfort....for at least 6 weeks ;-)
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Oh the one size fits no one mesh undies! They are NOT pretty but I agree they are soft and ironically quite comfy... I think I still have a few pairs around from my last baby! Ahh and I thought I'd never have an occasion to use them again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register