What Can I Eat Afterwards? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Can I Eat Afterwards? What Can I Eat Afterwards?

Unread 04-16-2008, 06:56 AM
What Can I Eat Afterwards?

I thought that this maybe should go in the Post-Op board but I can't post there yet...

I'm just wondering what my diet should be like after the surgery? My Dr didnt say anything about it and they are so tired of me calling in and asking the million other questions I keep thinking of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 08:09 AM

Just from my experience..... Drink lots of water. Juice will help get your bowels moving. Avoid gassy foods like milk, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, beans, etc. which they love to bring to you in the hospital. My nurse said not to drink any super cold drinks with ice either because they cause more gas. Hot tea, coffee, and hot broths are good. You may not have much of an appetite anyway for a while. I craved salad. Just the thought of fast food made me nauteous. Generally bland food will agree with your tummy better at first. I vomited. Believe me you don't want to do that after eating chips and salsa! Hope this was a help!
Unread 04-16-2008, 08:35 AM

I was allowed regular diet before discharge (in hosp. overnight)
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM

I had no problems with eating afterwards, well except for the hospital food. I was put on a liquid diet while there. Everything was either too salty or too sweet, so by the next morning I was starving. Then comes the cream of wheat and lemon yogurt for breakfast. By the time the dr came in, I was begging for real food. She gave me the ok, so I sent dh to cafeteria in search of a tuna on wheat and some mac and cheese. I ate almost half of that, nurse charted it, so when they brought my lunch, she wasn't too upset when I didn't touch much of it.

I didn't think anything could be worse then what they brought for breakfast. But the main dish for lunch consisted of a green, beefy slop. Told the nurse that I didn't even want to know what that was yesterday before they liquified it.

For dinner that night, dh got take out Chinese.
Unread 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM

I just stocked up on jello, crackers, pretzels,oatmeal, yogurt, and soup.. I heard that after surgery you may experience gas pains so I stocked up on these items just in case. If anybody else has any ideas please post. Thanks.
Unread 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM

The sisters are correct. After surgery, barring no complication, you can eat whatever you feel like. Make sure you have plenty of fresh fruit and fiber - for the bowels.

Hospital food is bad; try to bring some snacks in case you get hungry between meals.

Good luck on your surgery and a speedy recovery.
Unread 04-16-2008, 08:53 AM

Oh, I almost forgot... I read yesterday on the boards that chewing gum after surgery will help with the gas.
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM

anne, pack yourself a comfy pair of house slippers for walking. That really helps with the gas. Honestly, I don't think I would've had problems with gas if I would've skipped my dosage of Metformin the first night. That combined with the lunch and dinner they served me, thought I was going to die. I didn't get relief until dh got me the sandwich. lol
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:05 AM

I stocked up on jello, yogurt, juice, ginger ale, bottled water, and soups for next week.

From all the gas and constipation problems I read about, I can't imagine I will want much solid food until my digestive tract gets back to somewhat normal!
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:15 AM

After my release, I didn't have any problems with gas or bm. I was affraid of that too, so before leaving the hospital, I talked with dr about a 'plan of action' to avoid it. I took the max dosage of Simethicone a day (1 every 6 hours) and max dosage of Stool Softener (2 caplets before bed). First few bm were a little discomforting, so I added another stool softener caplet with my morning meds. Plus I drank 2 cups of apple juice a day. This worked for me. At 3 weeks now, I no longer need neither.

Make sure you talk to your dr about your concerns for gas and constipation before your surgery, or at least before you leave.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register