Back to work after two wks from the surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work after two wks from the surgery Back to work after two wks from the surgery

Unread 01-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Back to work after two wks from the surgery

I was told that I after two weeks I could go back to work . I am an nursing assistant at a hospital . Every night near the end of my shift I have really bad pain on one side its like a burning pulling tearing pain then I have a bloody discharge. Is anyone else having this? Or was anyone back to work that soon ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Re: Back to work after two wks from the surgery

Today was the first day back for me. It wasn't too bad although I just had to sit in a boring inservice. The kids come back Wednesday, at my four weeks post op. it shouldn't be too bad. No pain today though, just tired and ready to go to bed!

Good luck! Can you tell your employer it's too much and you have to take another week? Can you work part time shifts?
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:30 PM

Thank u for ur support and I hope everything continues to go well for u . I am having problems sleeping too . As for my job they will not let me take it easy because the dr said I was all clear to come back . The doc said its normal but I am in a lot of pain after working .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2013, 12:54 AM

I can't believe your doctor released you to go back to work that soon with the type of work you do! I am almost 5 weeks postop and still can't lift more than a gallon of milk!
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM

Wow! I can't believe your doctor cleared you after only 2 weeks!

If you're in too much pain, you may want to have a heart to heart with him/her.

Mine said to listen to my body, that I could start lifting heavier things, if I think it's okay. I'm not okay with that so I've been extremely careful! I can lift a gallon of milk and I can go grocery shopping but I have my hubby unload the car for me. I do the laundry and fold it but my hubby takes the laundry baskets to the washing machine and takes them back upstairs with folded laundry.

I cuddle with my twins on my lap but I don't pick them up.

I am a high school teacher and I start teaching tomorrow. My kids know I had this surgery so they'll be fine with me sitting while teaching.

Please remember that you are still healing and that if you overdo it now you can set back your recovery and then you'll be worse off.

Be careful!

Laura

P.S. My principal told me to take as much time as I needed. He knows I don't take advantage of things so if I have to go slow, I go slow. Your employer should be the same with you. Good luck!
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM

I would call your doctor and ask her to ad mend what you can do at work. Then I would talk to your HR, if your boss has issues with that. My HR person told me to have a very specific back to work note. She even sent my doc a job description so he could check off the tasks that I will be doing. It was very helpful for my doc to know what I will be do physically. I am a social worker, so most of my work is sitting and talking to people. But I do have to drive out to see people in their homes. And homes are unknown business.

As an example, my doctor is going to send me back to work next week (after one week) part time up to 20 hours, with no lifting more than 10#, no long driving (not more than 15 minutes one direction), climbing one flight of stairs, and sitting only up to two hours at a time - walking around the building is recommended to get up and walk every hour for 5 - 10 minutes.

Good luck to you! Don't push yourself. Maybe with an adjusted work load, you can work your normal hours.
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM

I hate to say it, when I worked for doctors, they expect you back to 100% asap.. i had bunion surgery and hardware and went back in 10 days vs. 8 weeks the surgeon recommended... what a mistake, when i had the other foot done i had to have issues fixed that went wrong.. i never healed right, my bones fracture too easily now in the toes that were fused.. I'm using that horrid experience to Heal Right the First Time with this and taking all 6 weeks my doc wrote up.. Originally she said 2 weeks, (me the bargainer said, no way.. 4) she ended up writing 6 weeks and believe me with this bleeding and lightheadedness, I need all of them... I think your surgeon rushed you.... i'm hoping you can either go part time or stay home another week....
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Thank u sisters ! My doc works in the hospital I work for he knows what I do . And HR and my boss got I note from my doc telling them I could go back to full duty . That means for me helping patients get up and lifting patients up in bed . And i dont get to sit sown much to rest .I have tired many times to have my doc change my work load but he said the pain and bleeding are normal . I don't feel I was ready to go back and I have a feeling that my healing is not going well . I just have been so depressed because of the surgery and I am not getting along with my husband ever since and the pain and bleeding and not sleeping , heat flashes on top of it I got a cold three days after surgery and still trying to fight that . It's just been way to much to handle at times . I have one ovary so my doc said I should be good with hormones and shouldn't need anything but I am affraid that ovary has shut down . So frustrated and depressed and feel that my doc and husband don't care :-(
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM

I'm in a similar boat, just not quite so soon (part time at 6 weeks). My doctor gave me VERY little post-op advice and no "return to work"documentation. I'm just trying to listen to my body and do what I can (and making mistakes that may bite me). Best wishes, and take care!
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Please get a second opinion. Your family doctor can give you a note to be off longer. You're going to get hurt. 2 weeks is not enough time for everything to even start healing. I hope you get some more recovery time. You need and deserve it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register