Please, Please help with hair loss | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please, Please help with hair loss Please, Please help with hair loss

Unread 12-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Please, Please help with hair loss

I am so tired of this!! every time I think it is under control, it's back. I switched from vivelle dot 1mg to 2 mgs of estradiol a day, 1 in the morning and 1 at night. I thought maybe I wasn't absorbing the dot well enough. I also use 50 mg of progesterone cream daily. I have read where women quit the estradiol and go with progesterone alone and that stopped the hair loss and I woman say the estradiol caused hair loss. and some women have said that the progesterone can cause it. I am totally confused!!!. Has anyone stopped or started something that reversed the hair loss problem??

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2006, 01:18 PM

I am still very early in this hormonal balance issue, but I went from 1 mg to 2 mg of estadiol and my hair loss has slowed down. My dr. said that low estrogen can cause the hair loss. She indicated that if 2 mg didn't slow it down, we could even increase it more if needed. Maybe you are low on estrogen? Have you had any bloodwork done? It sure is frustrating to find the balance isn't it?? Here's wishing you good luck!
Unread 12-21-2006, 01:57 PM

I know exactly what you are going through. I was on Vivelle Dot 1mg and switched to estradiol 2mgs - 1mg in a.m. and 1 mg in p.m. I was not on Progesterone. My hair was falling out like crazy. I was losing my mind. My dr. changed me to Yasmin BCP - however I only take 1/2 pill every day. I have been on this for one year. I will tell you this - when I started the Yasmin - after about a month - my hair stopped falling out and started growing very fast. It had a healthy feel to it also where it had been so dry and very limp before. However, after about 8 months, it started to fall out again - but not as much - more like a normal amount. It still feels healthy - not dry and limp like before the Yasmin. I am waiting to see if it is going to stop falling out and return to a normal cycle or something. This might sound silly but on the Yasmin, seeing the hair on the bathroom floor doesn't freak me out like it did when I was on Vivelle Dot. Wierd - huh? Anyway - I don't think it is a cure but I can tell you that it has helped alot. I no longer feel like I am going to wake up in the morning and be bald. I hope this helps because I know how hopeless you are feeling. Hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info. I would love to hear some more instances where hair loss has stopped and actually started growing back. I can't remember my hair falling out after my surgery. I didn't go on HRT until 6 months after my surgery and I don't think it fell out during that time. I really wonder if taking all these hormones is what is causing this. It would be a shame if it was!!
Unread 12-23-2006, 01:24 PM

I never had any hairloss until I started the compounded hormone troches (3.25 mg. estriol (weak one) and 125mg. progesterone. The doctor said it didn't start my hairloss. I am so confused since I don't do well when I stop the troches. And when I use any other form of estrogen the swelling is unbearable.
Trish M.
Unread 12-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Sandi, I am also having hair loss... But I was attributing it to stress, as that has happened on and off over the last 10 years. I get stressed at work, have a 7 or 8 month bout with hair loss, then it grows back. The 7 or 8 months is just about up, so if I don't see some regrowth pretty soon, I will know to blame the hormones.

I believe I am on such a low dose of hormone because of the endo, and because of the long term cancer risk.

When I was on Efexxor, I had terrible bouts of yawning and had horrendous, scary nightmares. With Lexapro and Prozac and Premarin, I had bad weight gain, edema, and mood swings. Ever since the day of surgery, I bruise way too easily... I get blood pockets under the skin if I bump against something too, too hard. The estrogen has caused skin changes... my freckles are all darker, and some have changed. I have an appointment to see a dermatologist, because my primary doc is worried about skin cancer.

Once I started using the progesterone cream, my sex drive and sensitivity got REALLY got good, for the first time in my whole life. I recommend it highly. It says there is a cancer risk, but it's about quality of life, too, you know?

God bless you! Have a Merry Christmas!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register