Cervix? Ovaries? What about sex after... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix? Ovaries? What about sex after... Cervix? Ovaries? What about sex after...

Unread 06-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Cervix? Ovaries? What about sex after...

My doctor told me I was to have a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy (sorry I don't know all the code letters yet.) He said he would take the ovaries and the cervix. I really don't mind loosing any of it but I am worried about any sexual feeling afterwords.

I'm not that knowledgeable about where orgasms come from. I'm 51 and it seems at times hard enough to have an orgasm that I'm really worried about this. Am I just being silly?

As far as hormone replacements, my mother and sister had breast cancer so I'm not sure what options I have there either.
Guess I was just looking for other opinions. This is my first post so I do appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 10:18 PM

I had everything removed--including my cervix, and I still am able to have orgasms. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do just fine.~Moonchime
Unread 06-27-2004, 10:33 PM

Hi and welcome!

I had everything removed, just open instead of lap procedure. Sex, including orgasm, still works just fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 10:33 PM

decotres,

I haven't had surgery yet but I did look into that because I have some of the same concerns. From what I hear, it is fabulous afterwards!

If you can't take hrt do you have options like the new female enhancement medicines? Just a thought. Some of the other ladies here are much more knowledgeable than me. I am still just a at this myself.

Best of luck to you,

K9
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Sah

I had a SAH, kept cervix & ovaries, since both were still healthy. My Dr and I both made this decision due to the lab reports, and several ultrasounds and tests later. I also gave him permission to remove these if there was a problem once the ab was opened.

My Dr suggested I do research in order to decide if I wanted to keep my cervix, and gave me a few online resources. I'll try to track them down, but I won't promise anything. I am the type to fully research any procedure done to my body before I agree to it. I personally thought, if it's not broke, keep it. It was all the massive fibroids that were causing the problem, not the rest of me.

The decision is between you and your Dr, and this procedure is a very personal one.

Much love
Unread 06-28-2004, 06:44 PM

Hello and

We're happy you found us! You have gotten some very good replies to your questions. But, to help us to help you, may I suggest that you "edit your profile" to include your surgery date and type, your city of residence, bio, occupation, etc. If you do so, I think you'll get more comprehensive replies from the site members.

Have you explored our Hormone Jungle? There are many good articles about HRT options. If you educate yourself prior to your surgery, you'll feel more confident about decisions you make.

Many s to you!
Unread 06-28-2004, 07:32 PM

Thank you for your answers. Even though I have spend so many hours on this website, there is so much that I still haven't gotten to it all. I'll check out the Hormone Jungle. My profile is now updated although I won't know the date of the surgery until next week when I talk to the Dr. about a biopsy he did. I just know that I will have the hysterectomy. Everyone is so helpful here, and I do really appreciate all your opinions on this.
Unread 07-07-2004, 12:00 AM

decotres,

You wrote, "I'm not that knowledgeable about where orgasms come from. I'm 51 and it seems at times hard enough to have an orgasm that I'm really worried about this." Now is not the time to be shy about your orgasms, that's for sure.
Women experience orgasms in different ways, and if you are not sure exactly how YOU orgasm, then you cannot tell whether or not a TAH/BSO will affect you.

Some women only orgasm with their clitoris and therefore, may not notice any difference. HOWEVER, there are MANY women who enjoy uterine contractions during orgasm. If you are one of these women, then of course your orgasm is going to change. You can't have uterine contractions without a uterus.

For most women, the cervix dips and spasms during orgasms; also it has a large bundle of nerves in it that MANY women get pleasure from. Once again, if this is YOUR type of pleasure, then it will be gone along with the cervix.

Only you can know what is pleasurable to you. Why don't you get some books on sex and "research" your body before you make any final decision about which sex organs you are willing to give up?

The ovaries produce the hormones that cause sexual desire. Taking the ovaries will put you into surgical menopause which is completely different from natural menopause, so make sure you understand this difference. If you do not plan to take any hormones, you will have to deal with many body changes, not just reproductive. It's possible for it take a while for you to begin to notice these changes because our bodies can store hormones. Some women wake up from surgery with hot flashes and no desire and some women can take as long as a year to deplete their stored reserves. But most definitely, an oophorectomy (taking the ovaries) is a different surgery than a hysterectomy (uterus only) so make certain you understand these differences before consenting.

I read your profile and you seem to be having the surgery for fibroids; did your doctor say why he recommends oophorectomy and the removal of the cervix as well? If it's for the fibroid only, did he discuss myomectomy with you?
You are on the right track now with all your research. Keep it up until ALL your questions are answered.

Best wishes,
Unread 07-07-2004, 10:17 AM

Thank you all for your replys. Some days I seem to have made up my mind and yet others I'm still not sure.

Lucille, the enlarged uterus, fibroids, extremely heavy periods, stomach and back pain are the reasons as far as I know now for the hysterectomy. I don't know yet if anything is wrong with the ovaries. The Dr told me that since I was 51 they would stop soon anyway and taking them would keep me from going in again if I developed ovarian cancer.

The cervix is because he said if we didn't take it than we wouldn't be able to go through the vagania. But he told me it was all up to me and we would discuss it further once my biopsy result was back. He is on vacation at the moment and the nurse told me everything looked ok with that report and he would call me Tues or Wed next week when he returns. So I guess I wait. Just wanted some ideas as to which questions to ask.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register