how long will I need help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long will I need help? how long will I need help?

Unread 09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
how long will I need help?

Hello there I've been reading a lot of these posts and they have helped. My question is how long will I need some help? I am having a TAH on October 9th and my mother has offered to help me. She is taking 3 weeks sick pay to help me out. Will I need her that long. I have a 10 year daughter that is a great helper also.

Thanks

TAH due to Adenmyosis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Hi anirehs1996!

Depending on how your surgery goes, you may feel like she's not truly needed after a couple of weeks...but -- if I were you I would plan to keep her around just in case.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 09-22-2007, 09:50 PM

I would except her help as long as she is able. I had my dad with me the first week and my mom the second. Then my DH was home when the kids were home the third week. I was doing pretty good after the first week but unable to keep up the house, kids and meals. Even now after 4 weeks I still have days that I wish I had help. Get tired easily.

BEST WISHES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2007, 10:26 PM

take the help while you can! You wont be able to do housework for a few weeks....my 3 DD's and hubby did
the housework and cooking...I could do little things for myself, like get drinks and warm up soup,but that was about it. at about a week I could sit and help fold clothes..
supervise my youngest in loading the washer, dryer and dishwasher.. and even tell her how to cook things..she would pull a chair into the kitchen for me sit and talk to her.
Even that was tiring though.. there are some little things your daughter can do to help too...Good luck!
Unread 09-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Yes you need help for that long. Especially if you have a family that depends on you. Other wise you will be up doing things you shouldn't too soon.
Side note here ... How do you know already that you have adenomyosis?
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:05 AM

I am 5 days post op. I need help with the cleaning (obviously) and meals. Other than that I think I've been pretty self-sufficient. My DH and son bring me the laundry to fold - I offered and then they take it upstairs. I get up to my own drinks and meds. I let the dogs out to go potty. I feel lots better than I thought I would.

If your mom wants to be there for 3 weeks I think that's great! Enjoy your time with her and let her help out as much you need!
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:38 AM

Hi there! Every person's different and I think it really depends on your surgery, your physical state prior to surgery and how well you tolerate discomfort.

I had a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy on 9/12 and I've had some intermittent help, but not full-time, if that makes it easier for your mom. I had meals prepared in the freezer so I only have to microwave them and my mom comes over to do the laundry for me. I've learned that I can do that by myself, too, if I just take a few pieces of the laundry down to the washer at a time. When I get a full load in the washer, I start it. After I dry it, I just take a few pieces up at a time until it's all put away. I do have a cleaning lady who comes in every other week and she came in this past week, so that took care of the heavy housework.

I still need someone to help with the grocery shopping, mowing the grass, taking out the garbage, etc., but I can pretty much take care of myself daily. It's great that your mom will be there, though, because you can get lonely and bored without company. Ask your doctor if you'll be able to travel short distances. My mom came over Saturday and took me to lunch, then to get groceries and finally to Home Depot. It was a nice, relaxing afternoon.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your mom!
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:12 AM

I had a myomectomy last year to remove fibroids and that's when they found out that I had Adenomyosis. I had always thought that long, painful periods was the way it was suppose to be.
Thanks for the advice
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:51 AM

I live alone, and my brother was able to came to stay with me for the first week after my surgery (TAH). Since then, a friend came over to help me get the trash out and vacuum, but I've been able to do almost everything else around the house. I've done laundry, but without carrying the laundry baskets through the house. I drove and went to the store for the first time last Friday (at a little over 2 weeks post-op). I don't have kids to supervise and feed (unless you count my 5 cats), but I definitely haven't been having any problems taking care of myself & the house. That said, I think it is great that your mother is able to stay with you for three weeks. I'm sure you will appreciate being taken care of, even if you don't need a lot of help that long. Best wishes!
Unread 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM

I would take all help that it is offered... I am out of the castle for 4 days now... my mother in law is here, and I hope she can stay for the entire recovery... She prepare the meals, do the laundry and everything else she wants... but this is just me... everyone is different...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register