Scheduled TAH Pre op shopping/preparation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op shopping/preparation Pre op shopping/preparation

Unread 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Pre op shopping/preparation

My surgery is scheduled for March 19th. I went and did some pre op shopping. I bought 4 pairs of pj's to lounge in at home post surgery. I bought a short night gown for the hospital. I'm a plus size gal and think the hospital gowns may not fit. I bought some life savers for sore throat from throat tube. I also bought an inexpensive plasic jar and some pre wrapped candy. I labeled the jar for nurses & doctors. I got this great idea from another sister here on the site. I'm also bringing toiletries and some thank you notes (another idea from a sister) incase I get really good care and want to write notes for the hospital staff. I've been looking for a grabber in local stores Wal-Mart, Target etc. and cannot find one. I've made 7 casseroles for freezer and made some homemade turkey noodle soup in individual containers for freezer. I've stocked up on laundry det. and other household goods so I don't have to worry about family not being able to function. I filled out all my pre op paperwork, which is due on March 17th. Just have to pack my slippers and robe and going home clothes and I'm done. Is there anything else that I may need to bring with me to hospital? I don't have an Ipod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Re: Pre op shopping/preparation

Rachel,
I bought earplugs and a sleep mask. I've read that there is a lot of noise & nurses continuously checking on you. I do remember the nurses checking on me all night when I had my ankle surgery. I wasn't able to get any sleep. I would like to hear abt your recovery because I'm having a TAH also. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Hi Rachel,

I found my lip balm the thing I used most - my lips were really very dry after the op and with the heat in the hospital I would have been lost without it. I don't know what type of op you're having - I had a TAH and wasn't allowed to shower for two day so I suggest you bring a pack of baby wipes with you. I found they came in handy for freshing up. Bring a few easy to read magazines as I found my head was fuzzy after the op and I couldn't see a book let alone read it. Also don't forget sanitary pads and you're "granny knickers"!

Best of luck and I really hope all goes well. Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2010, 12:30 AM

I packed my lip balm, brush, night gown, panties, socks and body pillow and house slippers. I am a plus size gal and honestly never got out of my hospital gown!!lip balm a definate, glad i brought my pillow, honestly had one under my head, 2 on one side, one under my knees and my body pillow on the other side. it just made me feel so much more comfortable with all of them around me. i wasnt in the mood to read anything, did want to brush my hair, the hospital provided a little toiletry kit and body wipes and they never offered me a shower and i was there thurs-sunday. what you want at home, not sure if you are having bikini cut or vertical, i had vertical, so at least 6 pairs of panties, i bought maidenform control it, one size bigger than i am and they have been a life saver as they come up over my belly button. the grabber thing i have seen at places that sell like wheel chairs and toilet risers...or maybe at an "as seen on tv" store. i never brought ear plugs and wish i did as my room was back to back with the nurses station and every shift change was like a party!!
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Ear plugs & eye mask, definitely. Grabbers can be found at Walgreens or CVS; the CVS one is great quality but pricier. I didn't wear panties in hospital, and you may find pj bottoms uncomfortable too. I did great in nighties and a zip-up robe - good coverage & no pressure on incision. Letting your privates stay open to air means much lower chance of infection. When I did wear them, the mesh hospital ones were the most comfy; I still prefer them to my cotton ones & am keeping them hand-washed. I had a large vertical incision, and even now I only wear dresses (11 days out).
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:53 AM

I am a plus sized girl too and the hospital gown fit me fine. I had a cath in for the first 18 hours or so and with the IV and all it was easier to stay in the hospital gown. You can ask for a second gown to put on backwards if one doesn't fit. Other then that I took lip balm but never had to use it. I ate ice chips right out of recovery and that helped with any dry mouth/lips that I had. I wore boxers when I got home and they were so comfy!

Good luck with your trip to the castle! (((())))
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to check out CVS and Walgreens for the grabber.
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Hi all,
Having a TAH-BSO . What type of saniltary pads will I need? Maxi pads? Light Day? Pantyliners? I have been menopausal for 9 years so haven't had to buy any "feminine" supplies for a long time! Have no idea how heavy post op bleeding/discharge to expect.
I want to get everything purchased before I go to the Castle.
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:56 PM

I just got the always pads from costco, u don't need over night ones or at least I haven't. Hope that helps a little......
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Ooopppsss forgot to say that u will most likely need more than a pantyliner though. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register