Partial hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Partial hysterectomy Partial hysterectomy

Unread 11-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Partial hysterectomy

I am supposed to have a partial done soon and I'm terrified!! Does anyone know what kind of pain to expect after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Partial hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilcar View Post
I am supposed to have a partial done soon and I'm terrified!! Does anyone know what kind of pain to expect after surgery?
Hi Aprilcar-
I had a partial hysterectomy on 9/24/15. It was an abdominal surgery and my uterus, one ovary and tube were removed. I was able to keep one ovary, tube and my cervix. My surgery was longer than expected due to some things that they didn't anticipate. My uterus was a very large I had a lot of endometriosis and one of my ovaries and tubes were completely adhered to my bowels. I can honestly say I did not have a lot of pain. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights. I had a catheter my first day, day of the surgery and that night. It was removed the next morning. No pain with that at all. Right after the surgery, in the recovery room, they told me the surgery was more invasive than they had thought it would be and that my incision was approx. 12 inches. I could feel some burning. Not like cramping but really a burning feeling on my abdomen - more topical than internal. They gave me some pain medication via my IV and it was very tolerable. Not bad at all. Before I was moved to my room they gave me a self administered pain medication pump. It was for Dilauded. I was able to administer every 10 minutes if needed. I did not have to do that. For the first 4 to six hours I did approx. every 30 minutes. More because I was afraid the pain was on its way. They were also giving me Torodal via my IV. I was very comfortable. The next morning they had me up and walking and had removed my catheter. I felt some discomfort and new I had surgery but was not in a lot of pain. By that morning I had stopped using the pump and was comfortable just with the Torodol. I was released after my second night and came home with narcotics but never had to use them. I rested, walked as much as was comfortable each day and was good. Again, I was sore but not in real pain. I was very mobile and able to do lots of little things - shower, get a snack, get the mail, walk around the house and yard all on the first day. Once home I only took Advil once and Tylenol once. Those were on days where I did a bit too much. Four days after surgery I went for a few short walks outside, up and down the street and it felt really good. My goal was to do one mile at one week after surgery, two miles my second week after surgery and so forth. I was able to do that. At my 6 week check up I was walking 6 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Today is my 8 week mark and I am back to hiking and some light walking/jogging. I do something at least 5 times a week and for anywhere from 4 to 6 miles. It's been great. I know that I do have a high pain threshold and that I'm a good healer. I think it's just genetics. I don't share any of this to brag or boast but just to let you know that there are experiences that aren't bad and to give you hope. I was so afraid before my surgery. Lots of tears and second guessing myself and my doctors - Inwas terrified and driving my husband crazy and losing sleep. Just so afraid. The few stories that I read that were positive gave me hope and helped calm my nerves. I'm 8 weeks out and so glad that I bit the bullet and did it. I feel great. Like my regular self. No problems at all physically. I'm a bit confused about my hormones because I still have an ovary and technically a cycle but I have no idea where I am in it and I get irritated with my sweet husband more than I used to but, I'm sure I'll settle into something. Lolololo. I hope that helps. My pain was not bad at all and my recovery went really well. Good luck to you!! If I can answer any specific questions or offer you any support I would love too.
Unread 11-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Re: Partial hysterectomy

Hi aprilcar to HysterSisters!

All of your feelings and emotions are very normal. Having a hysterectomy is such an overwhelming experience. We understand how you feel.

Pain is different for everyone. Once you wake up from surgery, they will ask how much pain you are in. You tell them, and they will give you pain meds to match. I had moderate to high moderate pain, and was given a morphine pump through my epidural (I had an epidural and general anesthetic). That controlled the pain pretty well. The next day, I was switched to Perchocet alternating with Motrin; I also took dilauded instead of Perchocet.

I know this is scary, but we are here. We are just a few mouse clicks away. Ask what questions you have, and we will try to answer them. You can also just post your emotions and fears. It really does help.

Just know you are not alone....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2015, 02:22 AM

Thank u so much to the ones who answered my questions about a partial hysterectomy!! I know I need to have it done. I am just so scared!! I don't do well with pain! U wouldn't b able to tell considering I've had 5 kids, lol! I have a prolapsed uterus. It isn't too bad right now but I know it will only get worse. I have just heard alot of horror stories about the pain after!! Thanks again for the advice!!
Unread 11-21-2015, 03:24 AM

(((aprilcar)))

Just to clarify, if necessary, and to help with replies plus information you'll find around the site: a total hysterectomy removes the whole uterus, whereas a partial hysterectomy removes the top portion of the uterus only leaving the cervix in place. (Removal of the ovaries/tubes is a separate procedure altogether known as a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy or BSO). Hope that helps!

You can find out more here.

You may also wish to check out the various surgery categories in Our Hysterectomy Stories forum, too, where you'll find thousands of detailed experiences.

When you have a moment, it would be very helpful - when replying to your concerns - if you could tell us a little more by completing the basic surgery information in your Member Survey. (Key details will then automatically appear at the top right of your posts). You can do that by visiting your user control panel or clicking here. Thank you!

We're sending best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register