Help! Im making myself crazy....... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! Im making myself crazy....... Help! Im making myself crazy.......

Unread 07-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Help! Im making myself crazy.......

My doctor is calling today with my surgery date....I have somany emotions. I havent had any pain meds all weedend because the doctor who took over for my doctor friday did not fax them in like he was supposed to so the pain is so awful its been a terrible weekend.

Its amazing how fast this adeno has made my life so miserable and my kids and my husbands. My main thing is my kids.....and more kids. We had already decided not to have any more I have one boy and one girl. Both very complicated pregnancies. Its just the idea that once I do this I no longer have the option of more babies. Does that sound crazy?

I look at my two year old sleeping and I think where did my baby go. But then I think I need to get rid of this pain its dragging me down and its taken over. My kids are suffering because mommy cant do things I would normally love doing. I cant remember my last good day. Im just so confused I keep thinking what if I just wait it out maybe it will get better. But after all the reading ive done on here I know this is not the case. I think I just needed to vent with all these emotions Im making myself crazy thinking about all the what ifs....

Thanks sisters for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2007, 09:10 AM

Hi dakconfused

Your emotions are absolutely normal, and not crazy at all. If you weren't questioning your decision and your future after surgery, you wouldn't be like every other woman who's been through this. I had adenomyosis too, and suffered for many years. I have two children who are 18, and 15 now, and put of a hysterectomy for years fearing the finality of it. I missed many sporting events, and social functions that the rest of my family attended because I was bleeding uncontrollably, or was too sick with pain. If my mom hadn't died of ovarian cancer, I'd still be questioning my decision whether I should have the surgery. Now that I'm almost 14 weeks post-op, I'm realizing how silly it was not to have the surgery years ago so I could have been there for so many of the kids' events and special moments. I wear white pants whenever I want, I can go anywhere at the drop of a hat, I always feel good, and I can carry much smaller purses! The anticipation and waiting game really is the worst part of the surgery. When I woke up from surgery, the recovery room nurse asked me what my pain level was. I couldn't believe I was telling her it was zero. It stayed that way unless I had to cough, sneeze or have a real belly laugh. If you're looking for quality of life, this really will give it back to you. <Please keep support on the boards as per the site TOS. Thanks!> I wish you luck and peace.

Tracy
Unread 07-30-2007, 09:16 AM

I totally understand. I got my surgery date last week (8-17), and now I'm so nervous, but my kids need their mommy back too, and I'm sure my husband would like to have his wife back as well. Hope your wait is not too long. I think that is the hardest part!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2007, 12:53 PM
"children mentioned"

You are not crazy! I think we all have gone through those feelings. I'm 39 and I was never able to have children, and it hit me pretty hard. I went back and forth, should I---shouldn't I?... and let me tell you to be painfree now is a blessing. I am so thankful that I had the surgery. I didn't have adeno, but a large firbroid that enlarged my uterus and gave me numerous problems that made every day life uncomfortable. Hang in there. This is a GREAT place for support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakconfused27
My doctor is calling today with my surgery date....I have somany emotions. I havent had any pain meds all weedend because the doctor who took over for my doctor friday did not fax them in like he was supposed to so the pain is so awful its been a terrible weekend.

Its amazing how fast this adeno has made my life so miserable and my kids and my husbands. My main thing is my kids.....and more kids. We had already decided not to have any more I have one boy and one girl. Both very complicated pregnancies. Its just the idea that once I do this I no longer have the option of more babies. Does that sound crazy?

I look at my two year old sleeping and I think where did my baby go. But then I think I need to get rid of this pain its dragging me down and its taken over. My kids are suffering because mommy cant do things I would normally love doing. I cant remember my last good day. Im just so confused I keep thinking what if I just wait it out maybe it will get better. But after all the reading ive done on here I know this is not the case. I think I just needed to vent with all these emotions Im making myself crazy thinking about all the what ifs....

Thanks sisters for listening
Unread 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM

I got my date set....its August 29th. Now the nerves are really setting in but Im also excited to be rid of this pain. Any ideas on things to stock up on or things I should get would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas on how to calm these nerves also welcomed
Unread 07-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Hi Dak!

Since your surgery date is on my birthday, I feel a special connection to you! Trust me, the anticipation is MUCH worse than the actual!! I too had adeno and fibroids, and the pain and bleeding and cramping and misery - let me tell you, the recovery is NOTHING compared to those things!!!

Some things I would definitely recommend prior to surgery, but always check with your doctor first:

Vitamins
daily exercise (walking swimming, etc. - the better shape you are in prior to surgery, the faster you heal)
keeping some kind of journal to get those emotions down on paper
having your family and support network well informed of what to expect in your post op condition
having LOTS of help for caring for your children, cooking, etc. as you REALLY need to be a princess for the recovery time, or you will just injure yourself and delay a complete recovery
practicing some kind of prayer or meditation that will calm you down when you feel anxious (deep breathing exercises are also great!)
Check out the Breast Health online diet - I don't know how to put links in here, but if you search for it on this site, you will find it - I started doing it about 6 days post op, and it has really helped!

I am sure I have many more tips and pointers, but they are escaping me at the moment.

My best wishes for the time to pass quickly and peacefully until surgery, and for a speedy recovery!
Unread 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM

I cannot give you medical advice but just want to say that my experience with surgical menopause has been a nightmare. However, I didn't have any problems except one day of severe abdominal pain. I had perfectly normal 28-30 day cycles with NO pain or abnormal bleeding. My problem was a cystadenoma on one ovary and my doctor insisted that everything had to be removed. Having been his patient for 19 years, I respected and trusted him. I'm finding that a lot of women are being sucked into having surgery or having more extensive surgery than is necessary.

I have struggled (mostly emotionally) since the surgery. I lost a huge amount of hair and am mourning my previously thin well toned body that now has a thick middle even though I'm down 8 lbs. from my pre-surgery weight. I've been told that my spine is compressing since I don't have a uterus. I also have NO libido which is very distressing to me. Luckily, my DH is understanding.

If you don't have a family history of ovarian cancer, I would think that you could and would want to keep your ovaries. Also, be sure you've researched other treatment options for your condition. I don't want to scare you, but once it's done, it's done. And, keep in mind that just about any ob/gyn will do a hyst but there are far fewer doctors that will do some of the alternative treatments so you may have to do some searching.

Good luck in your decision and whatever it is, I wish you the best.
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Hang in there! It's very hard going through life in constant pain! If this is what you and your doctor have decided is the best for you - then embrace the decision and look forward to your soon to be pain-free life to come!! It changes everything! I promise!
PS: Your surgery is the day after my birthday and the day before my son's!
There are checklists on this site of things to do before your big trip to the castle. Pre-make meals if you can. Enlist friend's help with your kids if you don't have family who can help you. The list goes on though.
Feel free to message me if you need to talk!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register