Vicodin not working:-( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vicodin not working:-( Vicodin not working:-(

Unread 05-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Vicodin not working:-(

I am looking forward to my surgery date, May 25th, now more then ever before. My last few periods have been horrible, but today was the first full day of my last one (would do the happy dance but I hurt too much).

I told my gyno I was not willing to go through it with just Tylenol which doesn't really do any good. So she writes me a Rx for Vicodin and I thought "awesome, at least I won't have to be miserable". HA! Fat chance of that. I had mild pain on Tuesday PM and I took one, still had cramps but not too bad. This AM when I woke up I was hurting so I ate a bit of food so that I wasn't taking the pills on an empty stomach and then took two. This was about 8:30. By 10:45 I was bent over double in misery.

I called the office and spoke with the receptionist, who tells me the doctor is in surgery but that she checks her email and pages during the course of the day between procedures. I don't hear back from anyone and hubby calls them back around 3 PM. Closing time came and went, no call back so no new Rx.

I realize they are busy, but this is a *****. All the Vicodin did was make me light headed and exhausted all day, plus I felt like I was going to vomit numerous times. I am now a little paranoid about my surgery and pain control. I cannot take Darvocet because it makes me sick, now we know that Vicodin doesn't help the pain and it makes me sick too.

Crossing my fingers that the doctors office calls me first thing in the morning. Going to send hubby off to the pharmacy ASAP.

Gosh I realize that you all are going to think that all I can do is rant. My previous (first post) was a bit of a rant as well. Well on the bright side of things a friend of mine gave me a brand new Nook. She purchased one a few months ago, had trouble with it so she took it back to the store and they replaced it with the new one. Then she saw the Nook Color and HAD to have it, so she bought one of those and gave me this one. Truly a good friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Re: Vicodin not working:-(

Well, as I have learned here in the castle, what meds work for one lady may do nothing for another...I had to even get pesky, in a nice way (with a nurse) because she was witholding an ordered med that worked for me simply because *she* thought it caused nausea (No, nurse, it's this PAIN causing nausea--get me the drugs!). SO you do have to be pesky and find something that works for YOU. It may be a bit of trial and error, but it is so worth it be out of pain! When is your surgery?

Dee

Oops, just saw your surgery date--forgive me, still on pain meds. ;o
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:51 AM

JKD65 - I too get nauseous on vicodin. I take that plus 600 mg. of ibuprofen for my pain. But, I also get nauseous from the pain. The last period I had, I spent the majority of the time curled in a ball crying from pain, laying down napping, or closing my eyes trying to breathe from the sick feeling. I called the doctors office crying because of the intense pain from the endometriosis, and the intense nausea. They prescribed Zofran (I got the generic form) for the nausea. I'm so sorry you are experiencing so much pain and feeling so sick. I completely understand where you're at. Hopefully this is your last period and you can celebrate when it's over.

My family bought me a Nook for bribery purposes. My husband felt that it would be a good distraction and keep me laying down or at least reclined. He said if I didn't follow doctor's post op orders, he was going to take it away... Hahaha!

Hang in there!!! You are NOT alone in this. Don't worry about ranting. That's why we're here. We empathize with you. Sending *HUGS* and *HEALING* thoughts your way! Hopefully the worst is over and you are on the "upside" of your period (if there IS an upside to a period...). It will be over and done with soon. My surgery is in a little over 2 weeks. I'm nervous about my upcoming period most of all. I had a diagnostic Laparoscopy 4 weeks ago, and the healing from that was nothing compared to the pain I feel when I have my period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Have you tried Percacet? They may work for you.....
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM

It is 9:15, the day after I first called the doctors office and I have yet to hear from anyone. I called again. The receptionist tells me "she was in surgery yesterday". I want to scream that I am **** well aware of that, plus you told me, but you also told me she would check her messages and call something in. She then informs me that the doctor will call me "sometime today in-between patients".

It took every bit of self control I had not to scream at this woman-she told me YESTERDAY that I was going to get a call, now it is a vague sometime today. We live an hour from the pharmacy. It isn't a quick 10 minute drive down the street and back so I am looking at a minimum of 2 + hours from when we get the word and my husband leaves to when he gets back with whatever they throw at me this time.

This situation is making me actually have concerns about response time when I have my surgery. I would actually go to the ER right now for relief it I didn't dread the idea of a hour long drive down twisty and bumpy country roads and sitting around in pain in a ER waiting room until someone helped me. Coming from me this is big because I have suffered through a number of serious Multiple Sclerosis flares with no medical intervention because I don't have insurance.

Everyone please keep your fingers crossed that she calls me back soon and that whatever I get does the trick. Again I say, May 25 cannot come soon enough.
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Fingers are crossed for you! I'm so sorry you have to wait again... it is disturbing when you're trying to convey your pain, and they seem to be indifferent. Hang in there!

Would a warm bath help?
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:05 PM

I bet a hot bath would help alot... But we live out here in Arizona and in a very rual area, Have the water and all that but the water heater isn't hooked up, and the duy that we keep trying to get a hold of to get it done is really not around much... And never calls...

But I have friends with bath tubs I can occupy...lol

the pains that were hurting really bad.... Well they seem to be subsided some sice the weather has gotten better....

Im going for a walk today....
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I have the same problem during my time of the month. I'm on Lortabs and Norco. Most times they work, but if I let the pain get ahead of me, double doses won't even help. My last period sent me to the ER where I writhed in pain for 2 1/2 hours before seeing a doctor and given something strong enough to stop the pain. I know I'll have one more period before my trip to the castle and is scares me to death.

I pray your doctor will call you back today and prescribe something that works for you. Meanwhile, I think the tub idea is a good one. ((hugs)) Hope you get some relief soon.
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:39 PM

TW65 - Me too. My last period is due next week and I'm terrified about the pain. I have all my pills ready and am going to start taking them at the first sign of anything. I'm going to set the alarm on my phone so I stay every 6 hours taking them. I was doubled over last month and don't want that again this time... My trip to the castle is in 2 weeks...
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM

An update and it is good news. Shortly after I posted this morning my doctor did call me. She was somewhat short with me, sounded annoyed because I didn't have a list of what I could and could not take for pain (which is because I have been without health coverage for about 10 years and short of being near death don't have the money to spend to go to a doctor and have lots of pain meds experiences).

In any event she said she would write me one for Percocet. I ended up driving down to get it myself as hubby and I had words when he asked me a question right after I got off the phone with the doctor. He was not appreciating that I snapped at him (go figure after being miserable and on the verge of vomiting for over 24 hours).

Anyway I slowly drove to the office to pick up the Rx, took it to the local Wal Mart, waited the 45 minutes for it to be filled and then drove to the parking lot in front of the local hospital and took it. Yeah I know all about how you aren't supposed to drive after taking things like this but I was not willing to drive all the way home only to discover that I had a bad reaction or that it didn't work and go through this whole ordeal again. Within about 20 minutes of taking it I felt 100% better. I am still sore, my innards tend to feel like someone put them in a big jar and shook the heck out of them and that is still there but no more sharp pains, no more cramps, no more feeling like someone beat me across the lower back with a baseball bat. I am certain I was a heck of a lot safer driving home then I was driving down.

I am 45 and adopted. If I knew that in my family history the average age of menopause was say 48 I would just go with the percocet for a few days each month and not have the surgery. Since that is a complete unknown for me I am just going to happily go to my surgery date and I am going to now do it feeling way better about the pain management aspect of it now that I know this stuff does the job without making me feel like I am going to vomit.

Thank you again for the kind words and support. It is greatly appreciated. Also sorry to the moderators. I was not trying to cause a problem when I used a * instead of a letter or two on the word from my original post. One never knows what is acceptable or not in terms of language on boards and now that I know I will mind my manners:-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register