Megace | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Megace

Hi there...haven't posted for a few weeks...I think I am still in shock about the results of the d&c and questioning if I am doing the right thing...Well as some of you know, biopsy showed complex hyperplasia with atypia, and d&c showed simple hyperplasia with no atypia...and no cancer..polyp was found and clean. First I thought I was having a hysterectomy next thing my gyn is saying will try to treat with megace and do another biopsy in 3 months. Have been on megace since Feb 19th so far so good. I have not had any spotting in months...actually since the biopsy.
I am kind of nervous as to why the biopsy showed one thing and the d&c another. My gyno had a call into the pathologist I guess things are ok as her office only called to confirm it was megace I was to take and not provera.
I have read a few posts about Megace, and noticed that everyone has a different dosage. I know that everyone is different, wondering if I am taking enough.
I really hope it works, I am worried that the next biopsy shows hyperplasia with atypia. I have read up on megace but I still don't really understand what it does..does anyone know?? I know its a proestrogen (sp?) but not sure how if works against hyperplasia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Re: Megace

How are you doing today? I know it can frustrating and stressful when waiting to have tests to see what is going on with our bodies! : But hopefully, when you have your next biopsy you will be given good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
I have read up on megace but I still don't really understand what it does..does anyone know?? I know its a proestrogen (sp?) but not sure how if works against hyperplasia.
It is my understanding that Megace, a progestin (synthetic progesterone) works by blocking estrogen from acting on the endometrium, slowing down and hopefully stopping its growth.

When is your next biopsy?

If you are concerned that your doctor's plans are not right for you, don't hesitate to seek additional opinions. Your GP could help you find a new doctor.

in there!

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Hi, thanks for the info. My next biopsy is April 28th I believe not for a while. I hope it works. I don't understand something, does our body still make estrogen even if we are in menopause? Mine started around 38 so its just a couple years now I am menopausal. I am overweight and I know that our body produces more estrogen from being overweight, but I just don't understand how the megace works if I am in menopause and not producing estrogen. I should have asked, I always think of 100 questions after the fact. I did bring a list of things to ask her but not of them were related to the news I received, I thought we would be talking about the hysterectomy, instead it was about avoiding it if possible and treating with hormones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Hi Yes, even after the ovaries have slowed their production of hormones to a trickle, your body still makes and stores estrogen in abdominal fat cells after menopause, and women who are overweight make more, which is why sometimes they don't have very strong symptoms of menopause. In a way, menopause is a more dangerous time for women, because as our estrogen levels decline somewhat, the levels of progesterone and testosterone in our bodies decline even more, leaving us "estrogen dominant", a condition which favors hyperplasia.

38 is awfully young to be menopausal -- are you sure? Has your DR run an FSH test to see if your ovaries have in fact slowed down? What symptoms are you having, and has your DR checked your thyroid function to see if perhaps that's causing hot flashes if you're having them?

Good luck with the Megace - I hope it works for you.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register