Full of questions - new patient | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Full of questions - new patient Full of questions - new patient

Unread 07-17-2001, 07:19 AM
Full of questions - new patient

Well, I've been having strange symptoms for about one month, so I finally scheduled an appt. with my GYN (she's wonderful) and as it turned out I had my annual scheduled for the next business day anyway, so this is what happened.

Basically she told me that my uterus is "falling out" for lack of a better term and the incontenence I've experienced since my two pregnancies is also caused by my bladder falling as well. It sounded much more "clinical" when she said it, but these are terms I can better relate to. Anyway, she recommened a vaginal hysterectomy which absolutely floored me! She said there are other alternatives and discussed them with me, but it also sounded as if this surgery would be inevitable eventually anyway. So I figure that I should take advantage of my age which is young on the spectrum (36) to help aid in my recovery.

I'm scared, which I think most of us are, when we first hear the news and since my appointment, I've had a flood of questions run through my mind so I've started a list to discuss them with my GYN. I don't have a surgery date yet although I'm at the stage where I'm trying to garner as much information as possible so that I can better plan for that date - kiddo's starting school - my youngest, kindergarten and I really don't want to miss his first day.

Any advice any of you would be willing to share with me is greatly welcomed and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2001, 07:51 AM

Hello and welcome Monnie - Glad you found us. When I found out I needed surgery I read everything I could get my hands on. My surgery and recovery were uneventful and I feel great.

Use search engine located at the top and search by keyword "prolapse"..that will give you some good posts to read regarding the uterus "falling".

Add to your list of questions: restrictions after surgery - many women are given vague info...so ask dr. to be specific, anest. choices and take home pain meds.

We'll be with you every step of the way. Let us know when you get your date.
Unread 07-17-2001, 08:03 AM
thanks so much

Hi Dot! Thanks for responding to my post. I've been reading other threads and those in other forums here and my situation is nothing compared to what many of these women are experiencing. At least with me, this is not something that my doc has told me I "have" to do - she said that she would not tell me it's time - it had to be up to me. So I guess that's why I'm so torn with whether or not I'm going to have it.

My husband and I are finished building our family and had decided that he'd have "the surgery", but if this is something that I'll eventually need anyway, it makes sense to me to just do it and get on our lives. I guess my first impression was that I would no longer be "complete", but I realize it would be much more difficult to accept if I still wanted more children. I think I can be successful in overcoming that feeling of not being "complete" anymore - it's just a sad and sobering thought about life and how little control we really have over things sometimes.

Anyway, thanks for the terminology (prolapse) - duh! That's why I'm here though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2001, 08:20 AM
New Here! This is long!

I must see this is such a wonderful site. Monnie, I know just what you feel like!! I am 37 and starting feeling like something was "falling." I saw a urogynecologist and she said I have a prolapsed uterus which I thought I had. She also said I have a cystocele and a slight rectocele. I had surgery two years ago for a big rectal prolapse and when I started feeling wierd I thought it was that coming back. I went to the colon dr. and he said it is my uterus pressing down on my rectum. Great! Another problem I thought. I was floored to learn I had a cystocele as I have had no bladder trouble at all. My main complaint is awful backaches which worsten greatly close to my period. Also, my colon surgeon said it is not uncommom to develop other prolapses, since I had a rectal prolapse. I really think I was just born this way, with a tendency for a weak pelvic floor. I have one child and had a normal delivery and he was not huge. So, I am looking at having a TVH and she will tack my bladder up as well. I am one of those people that if I have a problem and it can be fixed, I want it done. She said this will just get worse. I know I could put it off and I am not miserable, but I want to get it over with. I have no attachment to my uterus either and would be thrilled to be period free!!! I do have some questions though. I have seen all different time frames on recovery from a TVH. What is the consensus on recovery? Also, will my PMS go away after I have this done? Would love any and all feedback. I am trying to learn all I can and the web has been such a help!! Sorry for rambling on!!
Unread 07-17-2001, 08:28 AM
oh my goodness . . .

I have chill bumps! I'm like you, I'm really not in that much discomfort, but yes, it will only get worse so why not take care of it now? I too have increased lower back pain near the time of my period each month - is the prolapse causing it? I have so many questions - first I want to start with pros and cons - I know there will be no more periods, but will there be cramps? Will there still be bloating? Will my breasts still become tender? What about sexual drive? Will I still have any? ARRRGHHGHGH! I could go on and on. That's why I've started a typed list of questions for my doc and I'm reading as much as I can.

If anyone knows of any good sites to reference for "prolapse", I know we'd be interested in knowing about them.

Hang in there Fran37 - keep in touch!
Unread 07-17-2001, 01:18 PM
It's going to be okay!

Yes, if you keep your ovaries you will still have all the PMS symptoms and physical symptoms like sore breasts. Although, with no uterus, you can't have cramps.

PMS is hormonal and whether you still have it will depend on whether you keep your ovaries. If you keep your ovaries, you will also have all the symptoms of menopause - hot flashes, sweats, etc. - that you would normally have. Of course, some ladies don't have many symptoms.

I went for two years with prolapse. Unfortuately, prolapse does NOT change for the better as time goes by. The fear of having it all fall out is not a healthy situation, either.

As far as sex drive...there is NO physical relationship between the uterus and sex drive. Hormones are responsible for sex drive, along with the greatest sex organs of all...the brain & heart. Make sure that you discuss this well in advance with your husband, as some people have been raised to believe that women who have hysterectomies aren't "complete" or aren't "real women". Of course, this is nonsense. But you will run into that prejudice at some point and it may come from within your own family or from friends.

Good luck!
Unread 07-17-2001, 01:32 PM

Welcome to Hyster Sisters Monnie and Glen I'm so happy you've found us. It really is a wonderful place.

I had my hyst for Fibroid and Rectocele. In my case, the fibroids had been causing tons of problems for the past 4 years and the idea of a hyst wasn't novel to me. Still, I was frantic when I first scheduled my hyst. A basket case aptly described the way I felt

In my case, a hyst was the best solution since I was bleeding so heavily from the fibroids and the enlarged uterus pressing against my rectum had aggravated the prolapse. However, there are other options and alternatives for prolapse. A good web site relating to prolapse is The Prolapse Place . They even have a Message Board

You can also check the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives Message Board where less radical approaches are discussed.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest for answers. Be assured that we will be with you every step of the way, regardless of your decision.
Unread 07-17-2001, 01:35 PM

Dear Monnie & Fran37,

This link http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/ offers lottsa info on prolapse, living with it, or options to fix it. Some women with prolapse are not candidates for surgery, or don't want surgery. Some don't want to give up their ability to birth a baby. Any option YOU choose to address your symptoms is a valid one. Only you have to live with the end results, good or bad.

This link is more medical-oriented, showing drawings, photos & describing procedures for pelvic reconstruction. This page discusses causes:
http://www.urogynaecology.com.au/Causes.htm

The options to treat prolapse include: 1) do nothing (gravity & time will make it worse), 2) wear a pessary, 3) have surgery to hitch it all back up, 4) removal of the uterus/cervix.

If you choose to have a hyst, the prolapse makes you an excellent candidate for the less-invasive vaginal procedure (TVH). If your ovaries are healthy, you should consider keeping them.

This is major surgery, so you owe it to yourself to get 2 or 3 medical opinions. Get smart about your symptoms & your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs
Unread 07-17-2001, 08:26 PM
Len, Dany and Twysmiling

Thanks so much for being so forthcoming about all this. I feel like I've been in a whirlwind since my GYN visit only about 30 hours ago. I've scheduled a consultation appt. with my her - my husband will go with me - for 7/30 armed with a LIST of questions. I plan to set "the date" after that consultation. I will be certain to post it when it's official.

I appreciate the links to other informative sites and plan to visit them tomorrow.

Twysmiling . . . . thank you for saying out loud what my inner logic is telling me but I don't want to listen, which is getting other opinions . . . . I just have to figure out from who. I'm lucky that my husband and I have been blessed with two beautiful children and have made the decision to stop there. My doctor and I have already discussed keeping my ovaries - she said there shouldn't be a problem in doing that. YAY!!!

I won't be a stranger! Thanks so much ladies!
Unread 07-18-2001, 04:59 AM
Re: Len, Dany and Twysmiling

Quote:
Originally posted by monnie
. . . thank you for saying out loud what my inner logic is telling me but I don't want to listen, which is getting other opinions . . . . I just have to figure out from who.
Dear Monnie,

A uro-gynecologist (if you can find one) would be an excellent choice for a 2nd opinion. As luck would have it, there was one available thru my HMO, and he had much LESS cutting & pasting in mind than my 2nd opinion was planning.

Good luck on your research....

Sending cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register