If you have a TAH, why would there be gas pain. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If you have a TAH, why would there  be gas pain. If you have a TAH, why would there be gas pain.

Unread 09-25-2010, 09:14 PM
If you have a TAH, why would there be gas pain.

I have been reading as much as I can. I keep reading about gas pain. That's to be expected with a laprascopic procedure as they blow the belly up with gas to see everything. Why would someone that gets a TAH have gas pain? Do they still blow the belly up? Or is it because you are open and gas/air gets trapped inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Re: If you have a TAH, why would there be gas pain.

I had a TAH last week and I am still having horrible gas pain. I think it's just normal gas we all have but with cut tummy you can't pass it. What worked for me better than any gas pill, when I get a gas pain I lightly tap my belly and almost instantly the bubbles pop or move out.
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:38 PM

The bowel just naturally produces gas because of the bacteria that live there. I had TAH last Monday, & the pain isn't all that bad. I did a light clean-out (as opposed to go-litely) with a bottle of magnesium citrate, then started slowly with the food, making sure I didn't eat high gas producing foods. I also eat one yogurt with fruit daily, starting after I got home. Not a single gas bubble till Thursday morning, & regular BM's started today. I take Colace once a day, now. I took 2 yesterday, to get things started.

After surgery, you don't want to have to strain for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2010, 11:17 AM

I've been wondering this very same thing. Glad you asked!
Unread 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM

I think gas does get trapped in there when they close up (or air). I also think it has something to do with the bowels being sluggish and not working to full potential due to the abdominal surgery. I had three C sections and the pain from gas (that I couldn't easily pass) was the worst of my post op pain. I have such vivid memories of trying to pass gas and not being able to and just writhing in pain from it...this from an abdominal incision. The nurses would always end up giving me a suppository type lax just to stimulate my body to pass some gas...which helped a little, along with the gas x and stool softeners.
Unread 09-26-2010, 11:27 AM

I had a TAH in August. The gas pains were the worst for me. Did not start getting them til like 10 hours after surgery. When you are under the anesthesia your intestines basically fall asleep. After your surgery it takes a while for them to wake back up, and the gas builds up. I was not allowed to have solid foods until I could "pass gas". (everyone is different so it is hard to say how long it will take for me was not the day after surgery it was the second day after surgery) Prior to that all I was allowed were liquids like broths, juices, etc. The best thing for the gas is the chewable meds they can give you(in my case they were not offered I had to ask for them) and once you are up to walking that helps rid you of the gas even more. Best of luck to you and your surgery. Soon you will be on the recovering side with the rest of us!
Unread 09-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Hi - I had TAH last year - yes, the gas and constipation was the worst part of the surgery. Mine did not settle in until I went home 2 days after surgery - Good luck.
Unread 09-26-2010, 12:00 PM

I think it is because all the drugs and moving organs around just slows our bowels and the emptiness of our stomachs because of fasting. All that is a alot for your bowels to take .
Unread 09-26-2010, 12:44 PM

When they put you to sleep, your intestines shut down too. Once they wake back up the gas has to work it's way out. That is the way I understood it. I would think some air could get trapped in there with an open surgery too. I just know a lot of it is the medication. I hope you are feeling better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register