Large Fibroids but not Bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Large Fibroids but not Bleeding Large Fibroids but not Bleeding

Unread 04-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Large Fibroids but not Bleeding

I do have large fibroids in and outside of my uterus. I am not having heavy periods and am not anemic. I do have some constipation, frequent urination, pressure, back pain and pelvic pain. Are those reasons enough to have a hysterectomy or would you only do it for bleeding? I have already had a myomectomy. This runs in my family.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Re: Large Fibroids but not Bleeding

I am in the same boat second guessing my hysterectomy. No heavy bleeding, just bad location of fibroids...backing fluid in my kidney. Both doctors recommended hysterectomy so I have to go with the experts...on most days I feel that way...not today as I still hope this month I will become miraculously pregnant for the first time at 41

Seems like an extreme procedure for some lousy fibroids...
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylumps View Post
I do have large fibroids in and outside of my uterus. I am not having heavy periods and am not anemic. I do have some constipation, frequent urination, pressure, back pain and pelvic pain. Are those reasons enough to have a hysterectomy or would you only do it for bleeding? I have already had a myomectomy. This runs in my family.

Sorry to hear you're faced with this choice. I guess you have to weigh up your current quality of life - the pain, the urinary discomfort etc. which are not insignificant details, and the fact that a hysterectomy would probably help get rid of these symptoms. Have you looked at alternatives? Would it be possible for you to have a second myomectomy?
Me, I did everything I could to keep my uterus but, in the end after a myomectomy, it was discovered that I had a strong risk of developing cancer, so I had to have the hysterectomy. I totally understand your reluctance - it's a part of you and losing it is not something to be taken lightly.
I know it's agonising and I wish you luck with your decision.
Best,
Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Wow I had fibroid s to I had three of them size of football which cause having bleeding and constipation. I had such a terrible time which I was rush to the emergency room so many times. To be honest having these fibroid s does affect the quality of your life and it has mine alot.I know making a decision is not easy but I really didn't have my of a choice. Which I'm still recovering slowly from my surgery in January of this year. I have the TVH which I'm still having some minor problems, but being able use restroom is a plus. I just hate see anyone suffer though this because it's a ugly thing for any female to go though. I will be praying for you and thinking of you good look with you decision.
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM

She (Gyn) will not do another myomectomy. I am not sure why. They keep acting like I don't need the uterus because of the fact that I am done having children. I am 53. The Gyn and the family doctor keep saying "just get the uterus out of there and get it over with". My aunt had a hysterectomy and the fibroids still grew back. That is why I am concerned. Thanks for the answer. Also do they have to do an abdominal incison if one was done previously?
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM

You need to assess how your life day to day is affecting by your symptons at the moment. Perhaps imagine how different it would be if you get rid of all those symptons- if you really know that you cannot tolerate the symptons anymore then possibly you are ready for a hysterectomy. However, it depends on so many factors that you and your doctor must discuss and make sure that all alternatives have been considered.

Re. your comment about a relative- I am confused as to how fibroids could return if there is no uterus for them to grow in? Where would they grow? Would that not be a different medical condition to uterine fibroids?
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering too if my aunt had something different. She is no longer alive so I can't ask her. Maybe it was realted to the colon cancer that she died from. Maybe it wasn't even uterine related. It would be reassuring if they could not grow back. My mom had them and they never grew back after her TAH.
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Would you have a hysterectomy for fibroids?

Would you have a hysterectomy for pain, cramping, frequent urination and constipation, painful intercourse but no heavy bleeding. Am I just being a baby? Could this go away on it's own? They are fibroids (large, medium and small).
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Re: Cervix removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylumps View Post
Would you have a hysterectomy for pain, cramping, frequent urination and constipation, painful intercourse but no heavy bleeding. Am I just being a baby? Could this go away on it's own? They are fibroids (large, medium and small).
No it is not going to go away on its own. They only tend to get bigger unless they lose their blood source. I've never heard of this situation correcting itself. Yes I'd do it and at 12 days post op I wish I had did this sooner
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Large Fibroids but not Bleeding

[quote=Lovelyladylumps;3742230]Would you have a hysterectomy for pain, cramping, frequent urination and constipation, painful intercourse but no heavy bleeding. Am I just being a baby? Could this go away on it's own? They are fibroids (large, medium and small).[/QUOTE

This pain is real! And you are not a baby! Sounds like we have the same symptoms without the heavy bleeding. I have been dealing with all of this for over 7 years. This has affected my quality of life and I am so over it! I am overall very healthy other than this and I really am looking forward to having my hyster!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register