Hysterectomy finally scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy finally scheduled Hysterectomy finally scheduled

Unread 03-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Hysterectomy finally scheduled

So after learning that I needed a hysterectomy instead of the originally expected ablation and going through many emotions, I have finally gotten the clear biopsy and had my surgery scheduled - April 8th - 27 days and counting. I've got so many emotions going on right now. I'm 22 days into my current period, though thankfully not currently heavy, it's still there, with 6 days left until the next one is due. The doctor has me on neophenidrine (don't quote me on that) to help with the flow but it's making me gain weight. I'm nervous about the surgery and then the recovery afterwards. I'm not one to sit and let others do things for me, I'm a hands on kind of girl, so this is going to be tough on me. At the same time, I'm excited to finally have an answer to these heavy periods and know that I will save some money on buying pads. I have gone through way too many large packages of Kotex Overnights in the last few weeks/years (won't use anything else because they have been so heavy and they have to have no wings, those are weird). I'm ashamed, though I'm not sure why. I feel bad about leaving work for however long its going to be, two jobs and I just don't know how I'm going to afford it. I keep reading things and it scares me to see them so I don't know if I should read anything. And there is no typical hysterectomy and no typical recovery from it. Also strange for me. And then I feel like it's all I talk about right now and I feel bad. I did learn though, with the appointments I've had already, my surgery will be practically free as I've already hit my deductible so there is a silver lining in what is just a red mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Re: Hysterectomy finally scheduled

Having mine on the 8th as well. Vaginall davinci assisted. I have had an ablation 3 years ago and been diagnosed with pelvic congestion. Very very nervous as well. Just wanna skip ahead to post op day 3 or 4. 😁. Good luck with everything
Unread 03-11-2015, 07:57 PM

Hi happycharm74 to HysterSisters!

All of your fears, emotions, nerves and freakouts are very normal. And recovery is different for everyone. But do keep in mind that this is MAJOR SURGERY, and no matter how they enter your tummy you will have lots of internal healing to do.

Recovery does depend on so many factors, including age, health, surgery type, if there are complications, and a myriad of unpredictable factors. You do need to think in terms of weeks and not days. You will need help at home with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will need time off work, how long depends on how fast you heal and your job duties; but think weeks and not days. You will also be very tired for some time, and it will take time to rebuild any stamina.

Here is an article on Hysterectomy Recovery Time that will help. You also might want to check out the checkpoint videos on the post-op page.

You can read lots of scary stories on the Internet. People tend to post the negatives, and not positives. It is just human nature. So you can get a skewed view of things.

Just know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2015, 08:15 PM

and

Sometimes the waiting is the worst part. Thinking about all the what ifs that could happen. Thinking about the surgery itself. Wondering what recovery is going to be like. Being nervous about all those things is normal and many sisters experience it. Do stay away from the post-op forums and watch what you are reading so that you don't unnecessarily add to your anxiety.

Spend the next few weeks getting things prepared. It's time to get the house all tidy as you'll get a "get out of jail free card" on those tasks for awhile post-op. Prepare and freeze some meals. Stock up on groceries and some healthy snack type items. Prepare your nest area where you can rest post-op. Spend time with your family. Do some things you enjoy doing.

Breathe and try to relax. Occupy your time with the preparations to help distract your mind from its anxiety. Focus on the positives surgery will have for you. You can do this.

Here's a link to an article you may find helpful

Tips for Preparing for a Hysterectomy

for your surgery and a quick, easy recovery.
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:05 AM

I know that I will have to let others take care of me and I'm not fully looking forward to it. I also know that I should stop reading the post-op posts that are on here but it's where I find myself reading. I'm cranky today too. I am findining myself snapping at people. I'm so crampy, with pains shooting down my legs from it. I'm on day 23 of my current period, and though not heavy, it's still there and it's getting old. I think I have personally kept Kotex in business right now, spending over a $100 on their overnight pads this past month alone. It's getting old. I'm not having fun anymore. I take a cocktail in the morning of pain pills, the neo thing ( I think it's actually neothenidrine) and a depression pill and other than gaining wait from the neo, it's not doing anything to touch any of it. I just want to cry all the time now. I'm seriously at the point where I am depressed from everything.
Unread 03-13-2015, 02:13 AM

Hi,i know what it feels like to use that many pads,i was having to use enough pads to fill my pants so it was like wearing a nappy,i would use 2 nighttime every half hour for the first 3 days of every period,last april mine got so bad i needed an 8hr blood transfusion,then in june i had an ablation which made things worse,for days on end i could'nt venture more than a room away from the bathroom due to the clots and flooding,my blood count was hovering around 7-8 until 16 days ago,when i my hysterectomy,yes you do have different pain but the relief i felt was overwhelming,no more horrible periods controlling my life,mine started when i was 11 now i'm 47 and they were always painful and rediculously heavy, apart from when i was pregnant, i'm staying positive by thinking about what mylife could now be like,wishing you the very best for your upcoming surgery.😊
Unread 03-13-2015, 06:47 AM

Hi ! My hysterectomy is scheduled for April 8th as well . Just scheduled it yesterday . It took me some time to decide whether or not to have one . I am nervous and its only 3 and half weeks away but it feels like forever . To much time to think! I am glad though that I have some time to get things in order and meals prepared and frozen . After years and years of bad cramping , heavy bleeding , clotting I know I am making the right decision . I had an ablation done in
Sept 2014 and it did slow down the bleeding but I am spotting so much in between my periods that I just have had enough .
Unread 03-13-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycharm74 View Post
I know that I will have to let others take care of me and I'm not fully looking forward to it. I also know that I should stop reading the post-op posts that are on here but it's where I find myself reading. I'm cranky today too. I am findining myself snapping at people. I'm so crampy, with pains shooting down my legs from it. I'm on day 23 of my current period, and though not heavy, it's still there and it's getting old. I think I have personally kept Kotex in business right now, spending over a $100 on their overnight pads this past month alone. It's getting old. I'm not having fun anymore. I take a cocktail in the morning of pain pills, the neo thing ( I think it's actually neothenidrine) and a depression pill and other than gaining wait from the neo, it's not doing anything to touch any of it. I just want to cry all the time now. I'm seriously at the point where I am depressed from everything.
That sounds pretty miserable $100 in pads in the past month?!?! Wow. Being cranky makes so much sense when you're in pain.

I'm hoping you have a speedy recovery. Hysterectomy made me feel so much better, it's awesome not being in constant pain and being able to go out and do the things I love.

Keep us updated? <3
Unread 03-13-2015, 07:38 AM

Though I'm hoping for a speedy recovery, of course, but I am also looking forward to some time to get some things done like reading and watching Maury and hopefully when I feel better, some quilting. I am now at the pity stage, though it could also be the fact that my current period is still going and my next one is due in 4 days, so I'm truly not sure if the new one started or the old one ended. All I want is chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and little chocolate chips and some cool whip to break up all the chocolate. I want the cramps that are running down my legs to stop, along with the one in my stomach. I want to be able to get up one day without having to check to make sure I have enough pads to get me through the week (I did write an email to Kotex to thank them for their years of service - they are sending me coupons in the mail). I want to stop taking something to take the edge of the cramps as nothing is fully making them go away. I just want to find a normal. I don't think I've really had that since I got my first period back when I was 12 or 13.
Unread 03-13-2015, 07:42 AM

((((((hugs))))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register