Since my surgery was postponed...question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Since my surgery was postponed...question Since my surgery was postponed...question

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Since my surgery was postponed...question

Now that I have to go to a new doctor I am going to be able to have one more chance to get an opinion. So far the 3 doctors I have seen have all suggested that I have the cervix removed and I am not sure if I really want to. Can anyone tell me if they have had it removed and wished they didnt or wish they had it removed. Does it really make a difference good or bad either way? My thought was why remove more then needed, they are taking ovaries, tubes and uterus already.

They are telling me that the fact that my mom had cervical cancer it would be best but she has also had breast, colon and ovarian cancers (survived all thankfully) and I am only having ovaries removed, wouldnt think of touching the breasts unless I had to. I also thought that cervical cancer is mostly caused by STD's and is one of the most curable cancers...am I wrong in that?

I see the new doctor tomorrow at 10:30am and he has already reviewed my chart, should be able to schedule the surgery for wed of next week so I want to make the right choice.

Thanks for ALL your help in this and all matters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Re: Since my surgery was postponed...question

I decided to have mine taken out because if I didn't have my cervix I could not have any further problems with it. Also I heard if you keep the cervix you can have mini-periods & I didn't want any more bleeding. It is a very personal decision though. It is great that you are getting all the information that you can so you can make the best decision for you!
Unread 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM

Hannie -

Glad you get a chance at another opinion, those are always good.

The cervix is part of the uterus and not a separate organ but they are able to do incisions above it and leave it. Its a very personal decision and some who have left it have had to have it removed later on.

As for your questions about cervical cancer and STDs and cervical cancer being a curable cancer you may want to post that question on the Cancer Care forum. The members there may have more insight into that issueand provide you additional information. There are some where things have been caught early enough and surgery was all that was required others have had chemo and radiation. Also from what I have read with cervical cancer if additional surgery is necessary it usually involves removal of some portion of the vagina. But again cancer forum would probably bring you best information on all of this.

Title your post so they know you need information on those questions.

Sending hugs.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Hi Hannie,
I had my cervix removed. I had abnormal pap many years ago and following conization. Even though I had normal paps since then, I decided it would be safer option for me to take it out. In my case there was not much left from the cervix to keep anyway.
There are pros ans cons for keeping the cervix. Make sure you do some research and make informed decision.

Good luck and take care
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM

I had no choice in the matter but I would definately research as much as you can and ask your dr his/her opinion of benefits of having it removed or keeping it. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register