Hystersisters as Educators | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hystersisters as Educators Hystersisters as Educators

Unread 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Hystersisters as Educators

I saw the DR almost 2 weeks ago to check on my open incision. For those of you not familiar with my posts, my incision opened quite a bit a few days after DR removed staples. At this visit, DR had been delayed in surgery and had a full waiting room when he returned to his office. He had another DR (intern? resident? student?) assisting him with us office patients.

This DR came into the exam room, said "hello" , and started to lower the sheet draping my waist on down WITHOUT WASHING HIS HANDS OR PUTTING ON GLOVES! Remember, I have an OPEN INCISION! I stopped him by saying, "Where is DR. X?" "You want to see DR. X?" he answered. "Yes", I replied.

My DR came in a few minutes after that, greeted me, washed his hands and put on gloves before he even looked at the incision.

I want to say something to my DR about this other DR but I don't know how. I did not like this DR upon my initial visit to my DR's office back in Dec. He apparently was assisting him that day, too. I have seen him at the office about every other visit. I really want to see this other DR again and tell him that his actions (or lack of) bothered me during that visit.

I am not shy when it comes to speaking my mind. Before my SAH last month, a totally different DR introduced himself as the DR who was to assist my DR during surgery. There was a student DR with him and I plainly said I did not want the student DR in the OR observing my procedure. My request was granted but for some reason I cannot think of what to say abouth the office visit.

Help! I go back in 2 days to have the incision checked again and I want to say something.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2006, 06:44 PM

How are you? How is your incision that is the most important. I'm having a problem with mine also.

As far as the "other" Dr. or the situation..........I have a standard when problems occur. I personally do not like to involve others, but I will confront the person in question and let him/her know what has been bothering me. You most certainly should confront him on this!

Let me know how your incision is.
Unread 07-30-2006, 06:57 PM

Having gone through 4 years of medical school, an internship and a residency with my husband, I feel that I am able to have a valid opinion here. And it's not meant to offend anyone, it's just my opinion!

First that person should have NEVER came near your open incision without gloves on, you never know he may have picked his nose before he came in!

The reason that the students are with the doctors in the office and the operating room is so that they can gain experience so that they can be a good doctor and have some experience under thier belt BEFORE they are responsible for patients on thier own. They are always overseen by a licensed physician. They take your history, find out why you are there, and help plan out what your doctors are going to do to treat you. That doctor has to sign off and approve everything that the student, intern or resident does. You DO have the right to refuse to be seen by them. It is your right to be seen by your doctor only!

If you go to a teaching hospital (as is West Virginia University, Ruby Memorial Hospital), or your doctor is affiliated with and works at one you most likely be seen at some point by a student, intern, or resident. It's how they learn. And I would not want to bee seen by a doctor that has never seen a patient before.

I do suggest however that you DO talk to your doctor about this, it will help them gain better people skills, and it sound like he needs some. You are your best patient advocate! Speak up for your own safety!

Ant tell that person that you thought that he should have washed his hands and put glove on because you don't know if he was picking his nose, or his butt, or if he just came out of the bathroom.

Again, I hope I didn't offend anyone, I didn't intend to. Thanks for letting me vent.

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2006, 07:49 PM

Jeeze... I usually go into a trance, lay back, stare at the ceiling as soon as the medical personnel (doesn't matter who) tell me to get on the table. I never think to notice such important things like had they washed their hands, or put on gloves. Thanks, I will be more observant from now on!

I am being treated at a teaching institution and there is always a doctor present, except for maybe my history intake. A student resident doctor has never examined me or done any procedure without the main one around. The residents/students seem to be much nicer to be around too! I don't mind being their learning tool in exchange for me getting medical attention that I could never afford normally! And I trust that their techniques are modern. (Again, I am talking here about the specialty clinic, gyn. The GP Clinic associated with this hospital has a lot to be desired! Treat us like cattle!)
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM

PLease tell your regular docotor. If this person was about to do this to you imagine how many others he has done this to? He is not only putting himself at serious risk he is putting you at extreme risk. Your body comes first.
Hope all goes well at next appt and that you're healing better
Unread 07-30-2006, 10:41 PM

Lauraartist.. Hello, Yikes washing hnds and gloves is 101 patient care.. I'm glad you asked for the dr, Good for you! People forget that the patients are the boss!! If you don't feel comfortable at anytime for any reason you speak up. As to your incision (checking with your dr )mine suggested if any tape fell off I could add my own tape (special type,you can purchase from a pharmacy)also wearing your abdominal binder. It may make you feel more secure. Don't do too much either.. lifting,bending.. etc.. My friend whom did way too much after surgery opened also alot and got a terrible infection, anyway too feel more comfortable she would attached a maxipad to the inside of her pants/underwear so that the soft side was now up against her incision. I tryd it and it worked great!! All will work out.. Best of luck and god bless!!
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:19 AM

Thank you all for your support! I return to the DR tomorrow for another follow up. The incision is healing well. Will keep you posted. Much success to all of you dealing with open incisions.

Everyone wants a DR who is knowledgeable to competent. Normally I am happy to assist anyone who is in a "student" mode because I know they will benefit every patient down the road. Like you said, "No one wants a DR who has never seen patients". However, I did NOT want to be the guinea pig that day! I had two failed endo ablasions this year before having the SAH. It was no one's fault they didn't work but I was tired of the whole affair.

The DR who assisted my surgeon did not even introduce the student DR. He just started in looking at my chart and asking medical questions. Even more, the student DR did not even step up to plate and join the conversation. He sat there like a deer caught in headlights! I wondered, "Is this an optional rotation for him or was GYN going to be his field?". Never found out. After I requested that he not observe my procedure, he just walked over to the nurses station to do something else.

I was not even keen on the DR who assisted my surgeon until after I woke up from surgery and each day in the Castle. He came early every morning to check on me and returned with my surgeon an hour or so later. He had a good bedside manner. They both saw me during rounds. The assisting surgery DR gets an "A" for that but I think he should have introduced the student DR since he was more experienced.
Unread 08-02-2006, 05:08 AM

glad to hear youre healing properly!
Unread 08-04-2006, 05:30 AM

Went to follow up visit for open incision. It is now less than an inch long and DR says it is healing well. Expects it to be completely closed in about 2 weeks. I just have to keep it covered with a bandage with a spot of bacitracin on it.

DR and answered health questions from my list and we also talked about the incident with his "student" DR not washing his hands before trying to examine my open incision during my last office visit. Learned that this DR was not a student but a "fellow". My Dr explained that they was their hands AFTER examining each patient. There IS a wash station in between his two exam rooms. So supposedly the fellow washed his hands before entering my exam room. My DR says that they will not touch a patient without handwashing beforehand but that he will speak to the fellow about this incident.

DR says no need to return to his office unless incision does not heal completely or I have other concerns. I am just over 6 weeks since my procedure and I want to stick around this site for additonal support from you and to help others.
Unread 08-04-2006, 03:35 PM

glad it's healing properly and that he washed but still sounds strange. Hope you're feeling lots better also!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register