Fast Growing Fibroid -scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fast Growing Fibroid -scared Fast Growing Fibroid -scared

Unread 12-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Fast Growing Fibroid -scared

I have been diagnosed with a fast growing uterine fibroid tumor; however, the surgery is not until February. I am feeling like the surgery will result in Leiomyoscaroma and therefore in reality be a death sentence. I need reassurance that just because it is fast growing doesn't mean cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Re: Fast Growing Fibroid -scared

I don't have any experience with this type of issue, just wanted to say I am sorry you have to go thru this and wish there were some way surgery could be sooner. Did your gyno say he suspected cancer? If so, get a second opinion STAT and make it with a gyno/oncologist. Because if cancer is suspected they are the only gynos qualified to do this operation.
Unread 12-20-2009, 03:41 PM

scaredstifftoo

I'm so sorry you're feeling overwhelmed by this right now.

My one and only fibroid was "fast growing". It grew from the size of a golf ball to a large melon, within 3 months; the growth-rate was startling. But it was totally benign and so I hope that helps to reassure you a little.

However, I do agree with ((Ialwaysworry's)) comments above and urge you to ask questions (if you've not already done so) and seek a second opinion ~ if only for peace of mind.

Sending all good wishes and positive thoughts your way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2009, 12:22 AM

If it is fast growing, and there is a cancer concern, what is the reason for the wait until February? Surely your gyn/onc can get you scheduled more quickly if there is a concern about cancer.
Unread 12-21-2009, 03:47 AM

She said if she thought it was cancer she would send me to an Oncologist; however, they can't really tell can they until they do the bioposy? Thanks so much for your reply. I can't stop crying all the time the fear of leiomosarcoma is comsuming me.
Unread 12-21-2009, 05:05 AM

Hi

Just over 2 years ag, I had a fast growing fibroid removed. When it was scanned at the end of May my uterus was the size of a 5 month pregnancy and by the time it was removed on 13 October, my uterus was the size of a 7 and a half month pregnancy. I refused to take drugs to reduce it's size as I wanted to keep my ovaries and do everything I could to prevent going into menopause so I had a vertical TAH as a result. The surgeon was doubtful that he could save my ovaries as it was so large but that he would do his best.

Well, his best was good enough - he managed to save them. The scar is virtually invisible, and I got a wonderful photo of the 'monster' to show off. The test results showed in was benign, My recovery was textbook perfect and two years later (I'm now 48) I am still not showing any signs of having gone into menopause even though they said it could possibly start earlier.

Best wishes to you, don't worry, ask questions where necessary, and look after yourself to ensure you are in the best health before your op.
Unread 12-21-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredstifftoo View Post
I have been diagnosed with a fast growing uterine fibroid tumor; however, the surgery is not until February. I am feeling like the surgery will result in Leiomyoscaroma and therefore in reality be a death sentence. I need reassurance that just because it is fast growing doesn't mean cancer.
I have a fast growing fibroid that will be removed during a LAVH on Monday. Months ago, I had an ablation, hoping to control my symptoms for long enough to go into menopause. That didn't work, but at the time, they biopsied my endometrium and the fibroid, and neither were malignant.

Everything I've read indicates that malignant fibroids are exceedingly rare. I know how frightening this all is for you, but try not to panic. If you doubt your doctor, get another opinion - that's just wisdom. But obviously your doctor doesn't believe that it's cancer, and the odds are definitely on your side.
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:24 AM

Hi,
I too had a fast growing fibroid, actually a few of them. I was diagnosed in June and just had my surgery the beginning of December. My doctor had me on Lupron injections once per month prior to surgery. The Lupron seemed to help and stopped the growth of the fibroids before surgery. You might want to ask your dr about Lupron. Oh ya, my fibroids were benign.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:54 AM

12-21-09 Oh my gosh. This website is awesome. My doctors office called me back this morning and said there is a 1 in 5,000 chance it could be a sarcoma (the internet says 1 in 1000) but that my ultrasound (can't remember exactly what she said) but the doctor saw no signs to worry. She asked if I wanted her to talk to the doctor about moving up the surgery date and of course I said YES. Waiting on her call back for a quicker surgery date, I hope. I am having a Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy.
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:50 AM

I know that it's hard to turn off the brain from worrying, especially once you've got the thought in your head.

I just want to tell you that leiomyosarcoma isn't neccessarily a death sentence. At least I hope not, since that's what I had. I know the survival stats aren't good, but as they say, someone has to be in that small percentage. And stats don't reflect the individual case.

In March 2008 I went in for a hysterectomy because of a large fibroid that was causing problems (don't know how fast growing it was). After sonograms and an MRI my doc felt that he was dealing only with a fibroid and not a cancer. Though he did tell me that a rare percentage of fibroids are cancer (leiomyosarcom). He told me not to worry & I didn't. I only worried about this first time major surgery.

My fibroid turned out to be one of those rare instances and he did a TAH/BSO. He felt he got it all and I was referred to a gyn/onc for follow-up. My onc recommented adjuvent chemotherapy. So I had 6 months of chemo. On September 2008, after a series of CT scans, I was declared NED (no evidence of disease). All has been well since then (over a year). I see my gyn/onc every three months.

My only advice is to try not to worry about things that are not real and are very unlikely.

My best to you for an uneventful surgery and recovery.
Wishing everyone a great New Year.

-Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register