Concerned about sleeping comfort after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about sleeping comfort after hysterectomy Concerned about sleeping comfort after hysterectomy

Unread 06-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Concerned about sleeping comfort after hysterectomy

how did you sleep after surgery? I'm a side sleeper and was concerned about being able to sleep on my side, do you think it would be more comfortable to sleep upright in a recliner? I'm 2 weeks out... Thanks for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Re: Sleeping

I slept in my bad from day one. On my back the first day or two, then on my side if I felt like it. After a week or so, I woke up on my stomach and it felt fine, so at that point I quit worrying about it
Unread 06-14-2015, 03:25 PM

Hi usafvandrey -

I am a side sleeper as well. I slept on my side without an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM

I'm also a side sleeper. I never felt the need to sleep in the recliner and was comfortable on my side once I was home. I used pillows for support and where I had them changed day by day. Supporting my back, stomach, between my knees etc.
Unread 06-14-2015, 04:01 PM

I'm a stomach sleeper with a side-sleeping option, can't sleep on my back at all. I had abdominal surgery with a 7" vertical incison closed by 38 staples. My first night after surgery, I curled up on my side and went to sleep without even thinking about it. (I was pretty woozy from the anesthetic and narcotics.) My second night I thought about it, tucked a pillow against my belly for support, *then* curled up on my side and went to sleep.

I slept on my side until 13 days after surgery, when I got my staples out. After that I slept on my stomach.

If you want to change sides, make sure to go side-back-side. Trying to go side-belly-side hurts. I found that out the hard way.
Unread 06-14-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafvandrey View Post
how did you sleep after surgery? I'm a side sleeper and was concerned about being able to sleep on my side, do you think it would be more comfortable to sleep upright in a recliner? I'm 2 weeks out... Thanks for the advice
Like the others have posted, I found that using pillows really helped. I am a side and tummy sleeper and I absolutely hate sleeping on my back. It took me several weeks to return to sleeping on my stomach. You could try sleeping upright in a recliner, I know that I have read several threads where others did this.

Take care
Unread 06-15-2015, 10:13 AM

I'm a side sleeper myself. I had a laparoscopic procedure, and I was okay on my side the first night, with a pillow to support my belly. Also, the largest of my 4 incisions was by my left hip, and I found I was more comfortable on my right side. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery and recovery!
Unread 06-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Re: Concerned about sleeping comfort after hysterectomy

A bevy of pillows will be your friend. Under the tummy and between knees on the side, elevating the feet for a resting nap. The first night in the hospital I slept on my back, but from there on out on my side.
I DON'T think you will want to sit in a recliner. Mine rocks and no way I could have gotten up and down or scooted out of it. I don't think I sat in it for a few weeks. Maybe others will have some input on that too.
Unread 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM

I preferred the recliner for a couple of days myself. Day 3 I was in the spare room, last night I finally slept in bed with hubby. Your body will let you know when you can sleep in different positions. Get plenty of rest when you come home. Good Luck
  Quote:
Originally Posted by usafvandrey View Post

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register