What to wear? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to wear? What to wear?

Unread 09-18-2006, 06:43 AM
What to wear?

I am 1 week and 1 day away from surgery! I am having a TAH/BSO. What should I take with me to wear home from the hospital? What about the first couple days home? I don't like nightgowns. I always wear pajamas. Can I get some pajamas a size bigger or will they irritate the incision? Thanks for any advice!

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2006, 07:15 AM
What to wear?

Hi, I had a tah/bso 4 years ago now. I just wore my robe and slippers home - nothing else
After I got home, I wore a knee length gown for a few days. I didn't want anything directly on my incision. After that I wore loose jammies or pants with a soft elastic waist. I've seen where some ladies like drawstring waisted pants.I did get a few pair of undies a size larger than usual too and that helped.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 09-18-2006, 07:24 AM
What to wear?

I wore my yoga pants home from the hospital...very soft, stretchy, easy on the tummy. And, you'll want to have shoes you can just slip your feet into, if possible, rather than having to bend down and fuss with tying them. I changed into my own pajamas after day one in the hospital (maybe after day 2?), once I was off the iv's and walking the halls to try to get my bowels moving, etc. It felt better for me to be wearing my own stuff. And, I continued to wear pajamas at home....the kind with a loose elastic or drawstring waist, which was above my incision line (and swollen tummy). Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2006, 07:26 AM
What to wear?

Just another note....your pj's may get a little messy....i just accepted that fact. There's sometimes teensy bit of blood on the bandages that touch your pjs, and maybe vaginal blood depending upon what you're having done.
Unread 09-18-2006, 08:40 AM
What to wear?

I bought 2 sets of fleece lounge pants & sweaters. They are SOOOO comfy. I'm going to the hospital in one set & also wearing that home (hosp. is only 10 min. from home). At the hosp. and at home for the first while, I'll wear nighties. I also have a couple pairs of elasticized shorts if I'm too hot!
Slip-on shoes are a must (I've had 9 other surgeries). I bought the thong-slippers and also have a couple pairs of flip-flops around. Not sure how I'll get around in WINTER in CANADA but I'll figure something out! LOL
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:00 AM
What to wear?

I just had a TAH/BSO. I think it depends on what kind of incision you have. I have no stitches or staples so my actual incision hasn't been bothering me too much. Once I got the IV out at the hospital, I was able to wear leggings and large t-shirts. I found the leggings gave me some support but were not too tight even with my swelly belly. I wore a loose dress home.
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:07 AM
What to wear?

Hi, Best of luck to you. I wore large sweat pants home from the hospital. I would suggest wearing oversized jammie bottoms once you get home. A word of caution your jammie bottoms and underpants may get messy because of incision drainage. I had a large amount of drainage and something that I found that worked really well for me I put a small,dry wash cloth in my underpants. That way you don't have to change your undies and your jammie bottoms constantly. I hope this helps. Take care! Melanie
Unread 09-18-2006, 09:43 AM
What to wear?

I wore a size larger pj capri pants...that tied. I hated the elastic waists the first 2 weeks b/c It scared me that it would hug against the incision if I slipped a bit. I liked pulling it up and there being PLENTY of room around tummy. I wore oversized T's...as well.
Unread 09-18-2006, 07:12 PM
What to wear?

I wore a basic dress, no waist or anything home from the hospital with a sweater and flip-flops. Once home, I changed into a nightgown and have pretty much stayed in them (with no panties even) unless I am going out. I don't like pjs so this is what worked for me. A friend of mine that had a hyster years ago said large men's t-shirts worked for her.

Good wishes for your surgery and recovery!

jae
Unread 09-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Post Op Attire

I opted for the gown robe combo home sans undies. That seemed to be my nemsis. I am now three weeks post op and actually got into my jeans this weekend. Still have some incision sensitivity so I cant go full attire long but it was nice to feel human again
Just give yourself time to heal. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register