Hysterectomy complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy complications Hysterectomy complications

Unread 08-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Hysterectomy complications

My name is Mel... I am 37 with PCOS... My surgery was 7/27/15... I was to have a total hysterectomy and removal of right ovary all done vaginally. Of course it didn't go as planned. The surgeon was able to remove my cervix, uterus and tubes vaginally but because my right ovary was pushed up into my abdomine and had attached to the abdominal wall and covered in scar tissue not to mention the sofa can size cyst he had to do laparoscopic surgery to remove the ovary. The first week and a half was quite painful. At about 10 days post op I was feeling good and was quite surprised. That excitement lasted for a few days and was shattered on day 13 when I spent the entire day in extreme pain and so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. On the 2 week anniversary of my surgery I found myself sitting at the surgeons office. Low and behold I found out my incisions were infected. I have a large puss pocket under my incision site. I was started in oral antibiotics. Tomorrow 8/17 will be 3 weeks since surgery. I am still feeling quite tired. The littlest thing exhausts me. I still have a lot of pain/ pressure in my pubic area and the surgeon is now concerned that I may have a collection of fluid/ blood sitting inside so it appears I will be having a CT to determine what's going on. My emotions are all over the place. At least once sometimes more each day I cry at the drop of a hat for no reason. My husband asks me what I'm crying about and I can't tell him because I don't know. Although I know the surgery was needed because of the ovarian cysts, fibroids and precancerous cells... Right now I am regretting the surgery. I've been told a lot of ladies feel the same way and that after recovery they say it was the best decision they ever made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Re: Surgery complications

Hi Mel,
I had surgery on Jul 28th, LAVH. Be patient & gentle with yourself. I think it will take time for your hormones to settle. I have compassion towards what you are going through. Hang in there!
Unread 08-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Re: Hysterectomy complications

My ovaries were sleeping for several weeks after my 6/10 surgery so I know all about the crying for no reason. Aside from the general trauma of surgery, your ovary may be taking a little longer to wake back up which means your estrogen production is low. I too cried at the drop of a hat for a few weeks but I'm at 11 weeks post op and finally seem to have turned the corner. My husband got used to the crying and would just sit with me while I bawled. It does get better!
I also found that the other sisters on my recovery forum (including myself) felt week 3-4 were the roughest in our recoveries. More emotional, more sensitive to pain, insomnia, you name it. We all felt like we took huge steps back but then after week 4, MUCH improvement.
Be patient with yourself. These few weeks are all about YOU. You will get through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2015, 02:56 PM

So sorry about the complications. I say cry all you want. These surgeries and decisions aren't easy. I hope it clears up for you and gets better moving forward.
Unread 08-17-2015, 08:38 PM

Thanks ladies! I guess it makes me feel better to know this is all "normal" even though it doesn't feel normal. I'm 3 weeks post op today so I'm hoping things will start to settle. The infection seems to be gone and the incisions are healing nicely finally. I'm hoping I am finally on an upward swing in this recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register