Not comfortable with losing my ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not comfortable with losing my ovaries Not comfortable with losing my ovaries

Unread 12-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Not comfortable with losing my ovaries

I posted earlier today that I had my second opinion today. Both doctors (although second was referred by first) seem to think at my age (49) I should just remove my ovaries. They say I will go into menopause soon anyway so no point in keeping them and risking cancer. I don't have cancer they assure me nor do I have a family history of ovarian cancer or anything. I have hyperplasia with atypia. I can handle the idea of the hysterectomy but I want my ovararies. But yet it feels awkward to go against the doctors advice and insist on keeping them. Maybe I should come to terms with losing them? Anybody deal with this? Any advise on accepting the loss of my ovaries? Or encouragement that it is ok to do what I want? Anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Re: Not comfortable with losing my ovaries

I would not have them removed period unless I had distinct health concerns. Taking them out for no good reason would not sit well with me. Can you talk to another doctor independently of Tweedledee and Tweedledum?

BTW, I'm 48 and kept both of mine. VERY happy to have done so, no risk of cancer or PMDD at all. Just over a year out from my surgery, I'm feeling great.

One of my surgeons was a woman as well, who is dealing with her own menopause right now and knows from first-hand experience that it's not a walk in the park. Hang onto those puppies if you have no pressing reasons to get rid of them.
Unread 12-08-2014, 07:37 PM

I am 62 and I had both of my ovaries removed. My doctor discussed it with me -- because of cancer in my family and the fact that the risk of cancer goes up after 60, she thought it best to remove them and I agreed. Removing them was definitely because of health reasons. At your age, I would not have.

Best wishes on your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM

I had the opposite problem, I begged my Dr to remove mine because of family ovarian cancer. He refused. He said he would look them over closely and if they looked healthy he wouldn't remove them. I was arguing with him in the holding area a few minutes before surgery. He held tight and now a year out I'm glad he won. They are awake and working. If they are healthy I say keep them. It could be another 7 years before you go into menopause that would be 7 years or maybe even more you could get use out of them. Stand your ground if you want them, it really is your choice.
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:04 PM

i agree - if there is no reason then keep them. I would have them take the tubes since it is believed by many that ovarian cancer starts in the tubes. I had the same diagnosis but due to personal and family history knew mine had to go. I am glad they went because a tumor was found in the uterus. It was all contained as far as we know.

If you are having an gyn/onc doing the surgery, then they can do some testing right then on the uterus and tubes. Just make sure the doctors know you appreciate their concern, but you want to keep them realizing you still will need yearly checkups to make sure ovarian cancer does not come.
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janman View Post
I don't have cancer they assure me nor do I have a family history of ovarian cancer or anything. I have hyperplasia with atypia. I can handle the idea of the hysterectomy but I want my ovararies.
I can't believe that both of these doctors are assuring you so absolutely. The pathology post-hysterectomy is when you really find out whether there is co-existing cancer or not.

That said, it is your decision to make, not theirs. Just be aware that should cancer cells be found during your surgery that you may well be staring down the barrel of another surgery, but once again that will be your decision to make not theirs. At least my surgeon was honest enough to pre-warn me of the likelihood that cancer cells could well be found co-existing with complex atypia, even though they haven't been yet.
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Dont know if this helps you or not, but will offer it. I am 44. I kept my ovaries. Thanks to adhesions and scar tissue, and who knows what else, next week i am facing my 4th surgery since feb, to remove them. I do not regret trying, and i havent totally come to terms with it yet. But the left must go, the right isnt much better and will cause trouble. The dr also believes he can manage menopause without what i now call a "renegade ovary" that cant make up its mind what it wants to do. I am still processing, but am educating myself and planning to make it thru the next few months. I dont know much about hyperplasia or atypia, but have a hard time believing they can be absolute in no cancer. Ovarian cancer is very hard to catch early, esp without irregular cycles. I am not saying i would remove them, i dont regret trying to keep mine, but would agree with a previous poster, an independent opinion would be good, and i would try to talk to a onc/gyn if you can.

Its a tough choice, that i feel is potentially no win whatever you decide, so educate yourself and make the best choice for you.

Best wishes.
Unread 12-08-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janman View Post
I posted earlier today that I had my second opinion today. Both doctors (although second was referred by first) seem to think at my age (49) I should just remove my ovaries. They say I will go into menopause soon anyway so no point in keeping them and risking cancer. I don't have cancer they assure me nor do I have a family history of ovarian cancer or anything. I have hyperplasia with atypia. I can handle the idea of the hysterectomy but I want my ovararies. But yet it feels awkward to go against the doctors advice and insist on keeping them. Maybe I should come to terms with losing them? Anybody deal with this? Any advise on accepting the loss of my ovaries? Or encouragement that it is ok to do what I want? Anything?

I can only speak to my experience...I had the whole works out..i don't want anyone needing to go in again when I'm older and anesthetics are harder on you...I had a TAH ..
I don't miss my ovaries..have no hormonal issues after surgery..and I never need to worry about cancer..
or even have a pap smear...losing my ovaries did not
cause any ill effect to me , emotional or otherwise..
I didn't have cancer...initially had a fibroid...
it's all out and good riddance I thought!
Unread 12-08-2014, 10:24 PM

I had mine removed six weeks ago and I am 42. My dr told me although he thought I had endometriosis after having been diagnosed with stage 4 in my twenties, there was a chance the masses on my ovaries could be cancer. He asked me if I wanted him to salvage any ovarian tissue if he could and if I did not have cancer. He said pathology during and after surgery would tell him if there was cancer. He explained that at my age it would be good to keep an ovary but also said I could end up in surgery again with more endo by leaving them and that endo can cause a type of ovarian cancer. In the end I left it for his judgement based on what he might find and I was such a mess in there he couldn't save any healthy ovarian tissue. Other than getting a little warm at night I don't miss my ovaries so far, feel relieved I won't get ovarian cancer and hopefully will never have endometriosis again. It wasn't an easy decision for me. Both arguments had valid points but in the end I just decided to trust the process and I kind of figured it would go this way for me. I don't know if this helps you or not but thought I would share anyway. Good luck with your decision!
Unread 12-08-2014, 10:33 PM

I would do anything (almost) just to have one ovary back. I don't think there is any reason to have them removed just because you may be getting near the age of menopause. My grandmother didn't enter menopause until she was 61. And most of us don't do what our mothers do unless we have an hereditary condition. I have had a really, really hard time getting my hormones balanced since my surgery. My doctor could not save either of my ovaries because they were destroyed by endo. But wow, how much easier life would be if I could make my own hormones, designed just for me, by me, and get them in the doses I need them. I am at nearly 2 years out. I found balance for several months with patches but then I developed an allergy to the adhesive. I have been looking for balance since, and sometimes I fear I'll lost my job over it. Also remember that it is possible to go through surgical menopause after natural menopause. The ovaries don't just die and stop working after menopause (normally). They still secrete trace hormones which prevent the worst of surgical menopause symptoms. Gyn/oncs, I'm afraid to say, in general, will go for removal of everything to prevent cancer, even if you have never had any. I went round and round with mine. I wanted to keep one if it was salveageable, and he finally agreed, but it was too far gone. Like I said, after the last 2 years, I think I would do almost anything to have an ovary. I didn't realize that I felt so strongly until the second year when the problems really started. If you had asked when I was 4 or 5 months out, I would have said take em, it doesn't matter. HRT will take care of you. I know that for most women that is likely true, but like I said, what I wouldn't give for an ovary. You have to live with your decision, not us. Remember that HRT isn't always easy, and remember that natural menopause is much easier than surgical menopause. Keep asking questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register