Scheduled LSH Upcoming hysterectomy: How long do I take off of work?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: How long do I take off of work?? Upcoming hysterectomy: How long do I take off of work??

Unread 05-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: How long do I take off of work??

Hello Ladies!!

I'm so thankful I found this site. I will be having a Laparascopic Supracervical Hysterectomy on June 22nd. He is taking out my uteruses (have two) and fallopian tubes, leaving in my cervix and ovaries.

How long should I be off of work? Two or Three weeks?
When I go back should I go back to full days the first week or partial days?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Aimee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Re: How long do I take off of work??

You will find out that your body will tell you when your ready. My hysterectomy about a week ago took a lot out of me. Not pain so much, just my body readjusting. Good luck with everything.
Unread 05-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Re: How long do I take off of work??

I agree that you might have to wait and see. Ask your dr for advice too. Also depends on what type of work you do. I went back at 3 weeks, really could have gone at 2 but was already off the schedule. I really never had pain to speak of, a little discomfort here and there, but altogether way better than I could have ever imagined. I was feeling good and was able to be very active during my recovery, so I didn't experience the exhaustion that others have experienced when going back to work, which made it easier for me to adjust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: How long do I take off of work??

Like the other sisters said, it depends on the type of work that you do.

I had an abdominal supracervical hyst, and I went back to work (desk job) part time week 3, and full time week 4. I worked part time from home starting about day 5 after surgery.

Your LSH should be the easiest of type of hysterectomy to recover from, but you still want to be very careful for the full 6-8 weeks (or whatever timeframe given by your doctor)...no lifting, sudden movements, falls, etc., so no internal scar tissue develops.

Best of luck!
Unread 05-28-2015, 05:23 PM

What kind of work do you do, Aimee? If it's a job that involves physical activity or requires that you be on your feet all day, that's a whole different kettle of fish than desk work!

It can also depend on what your commute is like. My return to work was determined by the fact that I don't drive. My workplace is a mile and a half away, including a steep hill. I didn't ask my doc for clearance to return to work until I was sure I could get there and back.
Unread 05-28-2015, 05:41 PM

I could have gone back at one week, but at two weeks I feel great!
Unread 06-24-2015, 06:21 AM

Yes, it depends a lot on the work that you do. I was back to work in a week (I have a desk job.) Even so, I was tired and uncomfortable by the end of the day. I would come home and put on my very comfy jammies and put my feet up Try to wear comfortable clothes. I wore dresses many days so that there would be nothing binding around my middle. It was December before I finally managed a pair of jeans.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register