Happy day coming | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Happy day coming Happy day coming

Unread 05-03-2001, 12:36 PM
Happy day coming

I am a 31 year old who in the past month has decided I had had enough with the pain and pills (dr. prescribed). I went to see my doc who ordered an ultra sound. I know this sounds terible but I actually hoped that it looked bad so I could have a hysterectomy. The pain was so bad, and the bleeding that I couldn't see living another 10 or more years without going insane. Results showed that I had a cyst on one of my ovaries and that my uterus was 3 times the size it should be with fibroids all over. Now my surgery is going to be on Tuesday May 8. I'm really hopeful that I can have a normal life again. The dr. said he can do it vaginally but is going to leave my ovaries and just drain the cyst on the one. My husband is worried, but all I am concerned with is that I might have a bladder infection. Do they use catheters for vaginal hysterectomies? I have been reading this site and it has been extremely helpful. My other concern was if insurance would cover, but I got a call from the dr's office and insurance did approve. Now I just have to wait for the day to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2001, 12:47 PM
Happy day coming

Hi SherylLynn- Your story sounds like mine. I remember being relieved at the ultrasound because it answered so many questions as to why I was feeling the way I was. What a relief, huh, to know you're not crazy I have endometriosis cysts on both ovaries, so will not be keeping them, but also have a big ol' uterus with fibroids everywhere like you. I wish you the best and keep posting and reading everything in this site.
Unread 05-03-2001, 12:53 PM
Happy day coming

Quote:
Originally posted by SherylLynn
all I am concerned with is that I might have a bladder infection. Do they use catheters for vaginal hysterectomies?
SherylLynn,

Yes they do use catheters with a TVH. The best advice I can give you is to drink lots and lots of water post-op. If you don't like the taste of tap water, be sure to take some bottled water with you to the castle. I had to call one of my subjects for delivery! You might also ask for cranberry juice at the hospital and have plenty on hand to drink when you get home. I did not have any trouble at all with infections.

Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2001, 12:55 PM
Happy day coming

Hi Sheryl Lynn,
Take a deep breath. There is no need to worry about something that may never happen. You will be fine. Don't worry about the catheter. You will have one, but that doesn't automatically mean the you will have a bladder infection. I never had one. Some precautions to take are to drink lots of water and cranberry juice. Your life is going to be sooo inproved after this is all over. You are lucky that your wait isn't long. You will be on the road to recovery and a new life before you know it.
Unread 05-03-2001, 06:21 PM
Happy day coming

I agree with what the other sisters here have said...don't be concerned about possible infections...some people get them and some don't. Drinking LOTS of water and juice is a great way to flush everything OUT of the system...including bacteria.

Even if you do develop an infection, it's easily treated with antibiotics.

Keep reading and posting, and be sure to read the pulldown menus on the home page for stories and experiences of other women.

You'll do fine!!

Karen
Unread 05-04-2001, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the info

I know for some that this can be a very scary thing to go through, and my heart goes out to you. I am just relieved to know that my life might be livable again and that my children will have their mother again. Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I am a little scared about having surgery, but I'm more scared about what this problem is doing to my life. I hope the best for everyone. Thanks for a wonderful website!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register