Scheduled LSH trying to decide which procedure to have and whether or not to keep my cervix. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

trying to decide which procedure to have and whether or not to keep my cervix. trying to decide which procedure to have and whether or not to keep my cervix.

Unread 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
trying to decide which procedure to have and whether or not to keep my cervix.

Hello - I have a date scheduled for a hysterectomy. I just need to figure out exactly which procedure I want to have. I want a minimally invasive procedure LSH,TLH or ???? I need to decide if I want to keep my cervix and just have them take my uterus, or take my cervix and uterus?? I would appreciate any advice from someone with bleeding problems who just had their uterus removed and hear from them if they experienced any bleeding afterwards from keeping their cervix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Re: trying to decide which procedure to have and whether or not to keep my cervix.

I had my LSH on Dec 11 and have not had ANY bleeding since. I asked my dr if keeping my cervix was going to make me have mini-periods and he said the tool he used does kind of a cauterization so I should never have the mini-periods. He did say it could happen in as little as 5% of people, but if it did happen it would be a light spotting.

I am VERY happy with my decision to have the LSH!! Hopefully this helped!!
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Re: trying to decide which procedure to have and whether or not to keep my cervix.

Thank you!!! What was your recovery time??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2010, 09:53 PM

I am a teacher so I was off the week before Christmas break, the two weeks during bread and went back on Jan 5th with no problems (other than being tired from not doing much for three weeks). I was driving in less than a week, and was cleared for most everything after a week and I was pretty much pain free after about a week and a half.

Hope this helped!!! Let me know what you decide and how it goes!!
Unread 03-05-2010, 06:33 AM

I had my LSH on October 27, 2009 and had my cervix cauterized 4 months has passed by and not one drop.
Thank God. the percentage of women that have "mini periods" are very low. If you should happen to be in that percent my dr said that it's so minimal you really wouldn't need anything but a panty liner and it still wouldn't show on that.You normally see it when you wipe. He also said that he has done many LSH procedures and he only had one case where his patient had a mini period.
Unread 03-06-2010, 01:15 AM

Hi vw convertible,

I also had a LSH. If a Hyster Sister keeps one or both ovaries...and the cervix...there can be a chance of a mini-period in post-op. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst...and I never had any mini-periods in post-op. Cervix cauterization does not guarantee no mini-periods...and it certainly helps.

Sending best siwhes~

Mary
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:56 PM

vw convertible

A minimally invasive procedure is a great choice if you qualify. I am very pleased with my decision to have a LSH. I wanted to keep my cervix for various reasons but mostly for the quick recovery time. No vaginal cuff to heal.

After my LSH I took cyclic hormone replacement for three months. During that time I had one mini period. It was nothing more than a slightly discolored discharge. Far from bleeding. Only time that has happened in over 2 1/2 years.

A LSH is a good procedure, I would choose to do it again. Hope this helps with your decision making.

Unread 03-07-2010, 01:32 PM

I had the LSH and kept my cervix as it is healthy and we felt there wasn't a need to remove something that was just fine. I am only 3 weeks out, but my doc said the chance of having a mini period (which is more like spotting) was 2.2% and he did his best to minimize my chances of being in that category.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register