Depot Loprin vs. Birth Control Pills | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depot Loprin vs. Birth Control Pills Depot Loprin vs. Birth Control Pills

Unread 11-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Depot Loprin vs. Birth Control Pills

Hi Ladies!

Thanks for a great website and support!

I have a question. My doc. wants to put me on Depot Loprin to stop my bleeding for three months so my hemoglobin will be at a decent number for my hysterectomy.

I spoke to my brother in law (not in same state) who is an OB/GYN who told me not to let him do that. He said that since I'm anemic and all you need to do is stop the bleeding so I won't lose more iron, to tell my doctor to put me on birth control pills for the three months.

My brother in law said there are less side effects and I won't go into menopause. What's your experience regarding depot loprin vs. birth control pills? I've never been on birth control pills before.

I'm supposed to have my uterus and cervix removed. I go in for my sonogram on Wed. and my next visit with doctor and my husband a week later. I think my surgery will be around Jan or Feb. I have a "very large" fibroid and I'm anemic.

Thanks ladies for any input.

-Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2004, 05:36 AM

I was faced with the same dilemma. My doc recommended trying a couple of BCPs first, and if they didn't work then doing Lupron.

The first BCP was a failure--I bled even more heavily and my blood count dropped even lower.

The second BCP my doc put me on has worked. My bleeding is still prolonged (15 days in October), but the BCP lightened the flow considerably and (with iron supplements and lots of iron-rich foods) my blood count came up two points in two months, enough that we've scheduled surgery for next month.

I wasn't looking forward to having to take Lupron, but I would've done it if necessary. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the BCPs continue to work well enough so I can keep my blood count up until surgery. I've read many times on here about ladies who've used BCP to help with the bleeding from fibroids, and they work for a few months and then don't help anymore.

As I understand it, one benefit of Lupron versus BCP is that the Lupron causes the fibroids to shrink, which can make surgery easier or make the difference in the type of surgery you have (may make vaginal surgery possible as opposed to abdominal).

Good luck!
Unread 11-07-2004, 10:09 AM

Hi Kim, I'm on Lupron Depot right now, had my first injection acouple weeks ago. I will be on it for 3 months to help shrink the fibroids before surgery so it's not so dangerous. I've had several side effects, none of them that I can't live with for 3 months but one of them being bleeding. I had just got over my period and am now having another. Not heavy, but I had never bled in between my periods before. Not sure when it will end but looking forward to my hysterectomy. I've had good and bad side effects, all in all, I think I do feel alittle better though. I think your brother-in-law is right, it doesn't sound like the drug you should be on if your anemic. Lots of Luck!
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2004, 11:21 AM

Thanks Ladies for your input!

I'm trying to get all the info because I've never really taken any kind of medication except vitamins, tylenol, etc.

I'm always worried about side effects, etc.

I'm going to talk with my brother in law again and ask him about the different bc's that are available. I definately don't want to take something that will be ineffective. In the past my HGB has been hovering at 8. Just did another blood test last week and waiting for those results.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

- Kim
Unread 11-07-2004, 12:21 PM

Hey,

My ob/gyn told me that some fibroids actually feed off the hormones, some bcp's feeding them, so to speak.
I was anemic, had heavy periods, and was on iron supplements. I have been on Lupron now for two months, no side-effects except a headache for a day or so after the injection. My hemoglobin is up to 15 (I can cut down on my iron pills, yeepee!) and my fibroid has shrunken. The shots also took care of the constant pain I was having.
As far as the bleeding while on the shot, the first shot can give you an estrogen flare during the first month, thus creating a heavier or longer bleeding. I was lucky, I just had heavy spotting since I received the shot mid-cycle.
I know there is a lot of controversy and some ladies have not done well on the shots, but I have been doing well. I was reluctant to take Lupron, having read about it, but my doc is very supportive and we sat down and had a long chat about the pros and possible cons.
You should talk with your ob/gyn about all your options and tell him about your concerns.
Good luck,
Leena*pig*
Unread 11-07-2004, 01:58 PM

Thanks!

Now I'm confused. I guess you're right about discussing everything about the meds w/ ob/gyn.

I'm concerned about going into menopause since I'm only 39. I thought Birth Control Pills would be safer...

Like I said, I'm confused and I really hate having to make this decision... I know I'm being a baby, and a lot of you ladies have been going through this or worse...

It hasn't even been a week since I found out about having to have a hysterectomy! Everyone's posts have been great. I smile for awhile reading all the info. then I get panicky and start to cry!

Gosh, what's it going to be like after surgery!!!

- Kim
Unread 11-07-2004, 02:11 PM

Hi there,

I have had a total of like 17 months on Lupron. I have also had continuous BCP. I had better luck with the Lupron. I don't have fibroids (endo instead) but I continously spotted on the BCP. No bleeding whatsoever on the Lupron.

Lupron does have it's side effects, and everyone is different. I have not had too many (tachycardia, libido issues, hot flashes). It does suck being in menopause at a young age (I have been in it on and off since 25), but it has been the only thing that has really controlled my symptoms.

It is definately worth discussing with your doctor, and deciding which is best for you.

Erin
Unread 11-07-2004, 03:21 PM

I tried all sorts of birth controls pills but I still bleed when ever my body wanted to, even whilst on the birth control. My obgyn put me on a pill to stop bleeding all together, and you only take them when you start to bleed, it was what i took for two months during my cycles to avoid a blood transfusion. I'm in canada so I don't know if you have these pills out there but theyre called, cyklokapron, ask your dr about them, they worked for me

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register