Why I love and teach water aerobics | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Work it Out - Fitness in Action

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why I love and teach water aerobics Why I love and teach water aerobics

Unread 10-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Why I love and teach water aerobics

It's more than just lap swimming!

People with physical limitations and chronic pain are able to participate in water exercise.

People who have suffered injuries and/or have arthritis are able to do water exercises (with medical guidance).

Can get any type of exercise in the water:
- relaxation techniques
- low-impact routine
- flexibility
- strength training
- high-impact routine

A 60 minute water aerobic exercise will burn approx. 500 cal (and the water cools you during the process), while the same 60 minute land aerobic exercise will burn approx. 350 cal.

Helps relaxation.

Group water exercise is fun (lots of laughter).

Advantages
According to the U.S. Water Fitness Association (USWFA), water exercise offers many physical, social and mental benefits, including:
Improved strength and flexibility
Better muscular endurance and balance (Many professional and amateur athletes cross-train in the water.)
A stronger heart
Enhanced physique or figure
Improved circulation
Rehabilitation for used or healing muscles and recovery from accidents and injuries
Weight control
Relief from stress and tension
Increased energy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2006, 01:37 PM

Water aerobics is great. After so many years of not being able to find a convienient class and time, or not even consider signing up due to periods that were too long and heavy...a local school district just changed their offering so I was able to sign up.

The class is so much fun and I know I am able to do so much more in the water than on land.

While I find the water aerobics class fun, I find lap swimming relaxing. Getting into that pool the first night made me realize how much I miss swimming too so I've been going to the school's open swim to do laps.
Unread 11-04-2006, 06:27 AM

Oh, I wish I could join, but this country bumpkin lives 30 miles away from the nearest indoor pool. Our local pool offers water aerobics in the summer but the schedule always conflicts with mine so I can't do it.
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:39 PM

BirkyLady,

Keep looking at their schedules. My local community ed just changed their offering and I was finally able to find a session that I could make.

Also check neighbooring communities. Where I take my class I have to pay extra because I'm not a resident of the school district.
Unread 11-04-2006, 03:24 PM

jcme,
Thanks for the advice. We don't have an indoor pool at our school district. The nearest indoor pool is located at a rec center in the next county over. Like I said it's over 30 miles away. I just can't see driving that far. It's the same way with Curves and Weight Watchers...nothing nearby. The local pool is only open from Memorial Day thru Labor Day and only offer aerobic classes if there is an instructer. When they do hold classes it's always at 5:00 so they can reopen the pool for adult swimming and so that the pool can be booked for parties later in the evening. By the time I'm able to get in town the classes are nearly over. This is defininately where living in an urban location would be advantageous. Again thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register