quesiton for my hyster-sisters ????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

quesiton for my hyster-sisters ????? quesiton for my hyster-sisters ?????

Unread 05-17-2005, 08:57 AM
quesiton for my hyster-sisters ?????

Hi everyone.

Well, I had my day at the castle on the 13th (yes, Friday the 13th and I AM very superstictious...haha). Things went well, although he did end up having to remove one of my ovaries.

I did good while in the hospital. Only thing was the day before I came home my IV backed up in my arm. Had a decent size knot, but it is almost gone now.

Also, I was very, very constipated. This is something I DO NOT recommend you come home with. After laxatives and fiber I finally went to the bathroom last night....after LOTS of straining. Very painful....get help before you leave the hospital...yikes!

Also, got sick a couple of times. Don't think it was due to the regular anesth. but they gave me a shot of Demerol beforehand, I'd never had that... Gross, I know!

Okay, here is my question. I am feeling really good this morning. Taking Lortab for pain. I am really not feeling a lot of pain around my incision except when I try and go from sit to stand or vice versa. The thing that is bothering me is a pain just above my incision but to the right. It is a TERRIBLE pinching sensation. OUCH...it really hurts. Makes me stop and grab my side. Can happen with the slights turn of my body or stretch. Does anyone have any idea why it would hurt there??? I don't understand.

Thanks for you advice. Like I said, otherwise, I am really feeling good. I would have never made it through this procedure without this site.

Thanks a bunch.

lynn39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 09:35 AM

Not sure what sort of surgery you had but I'm a TAH and I can say that I have a lot of what I call - URKS! Mine is generally on my left side. Even after 2 months I still occasionally get one. Whatever you had just know that they "removed and sewed up bits" of you and moving or stretching will "remind" you of that fact.

(We had the same problem with the IV - I came home with 'elephant arm'!)

For constipation, I would drink a glass (large) of prune juice every day - ok, so I GAGGED it down! But it did work beautifully.

Enjoy your time off! Take it easy, relax. Remember that work makes your bellyswelly!
Unread 05-17-2005, 09:39 AM

Lynn,
I have no answer for your pinching pain above your navel, perhaps it is an area that was stitched from where the fiborid(s) were? If it is still bothering you later today and is worrying you call your Dr's office.
As far as the bowels are concerned. I needed to take glycerine supps for a few days after my surgery to get everything going okay, I still have much belly swelling which affects my bowels. I take pysllium tablets (like metamucil, but in tablet form and cheaper) and I also take flax seed oil tablets which keep me regular and stops the straining. One does not want to strain. The other key is to Drink, Drink, Drink!
BTW, Demerol makes me puke too! wicked stuff.
Hang in there fellow sister, each day gets better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 11:34 AM

Kelly and dlhavard-

Thanks for the advice and info.

I am taking two fiber con tabs a day to help with regualrity plus trying to drink lots more water (which I'm not good at) and juice. Hopefully this helps me not have to EVER strain like that again.

Yes, maybe the pinch is from the fibroids. NOt sure. I will just have to keep watching it I guess.

I'm trying not to over do it today. I went out and sat in the sun a bit. Put up some personal belongings from hospital stay and washed about 10 dishes. I think that is it for me today.

I am going to lay down and take a nap before everyone starts getting home from work and school. Looking forward to another pain pill (not til 1:30 though...sob)

Glad to hear somone else felt the same with the Demerol. I will NEVER take that again unless absolutely necessary.

Well, I better get some rest. It is SO GOOD to be home.

Love to all...lynn39
Unread 05-17-2005, 12:36 PM

Don't overdo it. Make hubby do those dishes! Only 2 days after major surgery you really should be resting totally, ignore the housework & explain to your family that you are not to be doing any housework, lifting, pulling, stretching, etc. for at least 2 weeks. You had an especially rough time of it and you're hurting. Take care of you and close your eyes to the stuff that needs doing. I am locking myself in our guest room when it gets too much because every time I start doing things around the house, I overdo it and end up hurting and feverish. You don't want to end up back in the hospital with ruptured sutures or infection. Take care and good luck!
Unread 05-17-2005, 02:17 PM

Hi Lynn,

You may want to ask your doctor, or the office nurse, to recommend a stool softener to use for the next few days. I took one at bed time for the first week I was home, and it helped me avoid straining. I did use a laxative once, on post op day 4, and I won't do that again....

I'm sorry to read that Demerol didn't agree with you. I get N&V with it too, so I make sure to tell docs not to give it to me. You may want to write that down where ever you keep your medical information, to remind you to mention it should you ever need pain meds again.

I'm a few days ahead of you in recovery, my surgery was May 4 2005. Changing positions still gives me tugs and owies. I find that taking my time, and using the suggestions posted on this site about how to get up really work well. Last night was the first night I could lay fully on my side without tugging in my belly. So, I guess things will change a bit as the days go by.

Please be careful about doing housework! Who knows what washing a few dishes might lead to!
Unread 05-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Bits-

I think you are right. I am going to not try those dishes again for a while. It's a bit too much. I am feeling extra achy tonight. I think I will just rest tomorrow. I tried to do some things when I should have rested. Live and learn.

I will make a note of the Demerol. Too much for me. It stuck with me for a whole day after surgery. blah.

Well, hope your recovery is going okay. I know what you mean about the owies with turning over. Good you are making progress. I think this just takes lots of time.

It is good to have friends for support.

Take care of yourself. Drop me a line as you get better.

lynn39
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Straining is bad. Even after 7 months it can send me back to the beginning. Well, not quite, but it sure feels that way.
Unread 05-17-2005, 08:14 PM

Hi. I had my TAH/BSO on 5/4/05. I was warned about constipation before the procedure by women at the nursing home I work at. I've been in the habit of putting 5 prunes (the kind in the cardboard cannister) each morning on cereal for breakfast. I took a plastic baggie with about 20 prunes in it to the hospital to "help out". Since I had to have a BM before I was discharged, I ate about 15 between 5/5 and 5/6, and it DID help. I'm back to my 5 a day now that Im home and constipation has been no problem. Maybe this will help you. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register