anyone had or have adhesions? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone had or have adhesions? anyone had or have adhesions?

Unread 11-01-2005, 01:51 PM
anyone had or have adhesions?

I can give you my experience with adhesions but it is slightly different than yours. I had my TAH/BSO April 20, went back to work part time on continued disability July 25 and am still part time continuing disability until the first of the year with lifting restrictions etc.

I had pain on both left and right as well as pelvic. More an ache with some sharpness on left. I also had a swelly belly. Doctor said it was common to have pain on left because that was related to bowels/constipation, getting the bowels back to working normally which can take up to 6 months. The doctor had me go for CT scans for my abdomen and pelvis. Found out I had a blood clot in my pelvis and adhesions on the right side of my abdomen. I was directed to put heating pad on pelvis for 2 weeks then had ultrasound which showed it had dissolved. I still had right side pain so was sent to Physical Therapy which helped tremendously. My scar was massaged to loosen it up and to break up the adhesions. Then I did core stability exercises that strengthened the abdomen. I had this 3 times a week for 2 weeks. Now I contine to do the exercises by myself at the gym 3 times a week. Takes me about 45 minutes. The pain and swelly belly was greatly reduced after the therapy. My doctor wanted me to continue part time at work light duty with restrictions since I was getting better. She didn't want a set back. It has been a long process but I am so glad I took the whole 3 months before going back to work and also that my doctor referred me to therapy as both of those has helped me to feel better and recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Thank you all for your replys. I seen my Dr today and she told me it was all part of the healing process. I did have a bladder infection and the orange discharge was my stiches dissolving, which I thought was odd. And she thought I was doing too much , I didnt feel I was over doing anything. So I will try to be more careful and slow down abit. And 2 more weeks off of work she said.
Unread 11-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Hi ladies,
I see the left-sided pain being mentioned here and it brought to mind a huge thread back a while on this subject. There were a lot of things discussed and I thought a lot of good information. I will share the link here for any of you who are interested in reading it.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...eft-sided+pain

's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2005, 07:53 AM

I too had left side pain around 6 wks. post op.My doc. kept brushing me off saying everything was normal.Well I knew it wasn't normal, the pain was awful.She wouldn't listen till I went into her office in tears begging her to please help me.She thought that it might have been a herina so she sent me to a surgon.He also thought the same thing even though nothing was sticking out.He said sometimes herina can hide behind a muscle.Anyways he wanted to do lap. surgery and I agreed.Anything to get rid of the pain because I was suppost to go back to work soon.He did the surgery and found that I had adhesions.My left ovary and fall. tube were stuck together with my colon by the scar tissue(adhesions).He removed it all and so far I have felt pretty good.So if your in pain sisters and you know something is just not right keep hounding them till they find the problem.Don't give up!We have a hyster to make our self feel better.
Unread 11-02-2005, 08:20 AM

oh my gosh, I too have terrible pain on my left side and it feels very hard compared to my right side, I was told by my Dr. that it was a hematoma, it has been 5 weeks since my surgery, Hopefully it will get better!
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:18 AM

Hi everyone!
I'm so glad to have found this thread. I am 3 weeks post op today. I am not having any extra pain on my left side, HOWEVER, my left side is more puffy and firm or swollen than the right side which seems closer to back to normal than the left. Although BOTH sides are more swollen and more firm at the end of the day. Which is weird to me, because when I lay on my back my stomach flattens out considerably (NOT completely) as compared to when I am standing or sitting. I have been concerned about this and after mentioning it to my dr. at my 2 week post op checkup she smiled and said "..it's only been 2 weeks, you are still healing.."(thanks KSCOP for mentioning your drs. note about the bowel thing--that's more than I have learned from MY doctor) I sure am hoping my tummy will "even out" as I heal!

I've also found that gas has become a problem again in the last couple days. It was a problem about 3-5 days after surgery then seemed to subside. In the last couple days, however, it has returned. Anyone else experiencing/experienced this???

Also wondering if anyone knows where I might find diagrams of what our abdomen looks like on the INSIDE before and after a TAH. I'm curious to know what moves into the place where my uterus/ovaries used to be!

Thanks so much!
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:35 AM

Pam,

I also had surgery on October 12 and my abdomen sounds exactly the same as yours! So I think that's comforting. I also had terrible gas pains last night - I had a CT scan yesterday where I had to drink barium solution, so I'm not sure if it's from that.

Like you, I still have swelly belly (more on the left) and my stomach flattens out more when I lay down. I asked my doctor last Friday when swelly belly would go away, and he was very evasive and wouldn't give me a direct reply! I hope this doesn't last too long. I'd like to start wearing something other than loose baggy pants.

Louise
Unread 11-02-2005, 12:56 PM

Hello Sudoblonde
I asked my doctor what happens to the 'space' when my uterus etc. was removed. He just laughed and said there wouldn't be a space because the intestines/bowels whatever, move into that area. Sort of spread themselves around a bit I suppose!
Are we all still wearing loose baggy pants then 'cos i still am. Also wearing husband's boxer shorts since being home - they are SO comfortable. No leg elastic, roomy and waistband comes right over belly button so doesn't touch scar.
Unread 11-02-2005, 01:50 PM

Hi Louise,
It is comforting to know our swelly bellies are acting the same way. I'll assume that's normal. I'd be interested to stay in touch and compare notes along the way with you since we had the same surgery (different reasons) and on the same day if you're interested!
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:48 PM

Pam/Sudoblonde,

Sure I'd be glad to stay in touch! It's already reassuring to see that someone with the same surgery date has the same symptons. I had a TAH/BSO with a bikini incision. (They found I had early stage cancer AFTER the surgery). Did you lose your ovaries, and if so, are you suffering any hormone fallout? I'm not, which seems strange, but I can't take HRT so I hope it stays this way.

Feel free to private message me anytime.

Louise

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register