New and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and nervous New and nervous

Unread 08-23-2002, 10:24 PM
New and nervous

Hi all;

I have been reading alot of the messages, and they have been helpful. This is my first post, I am scheduled for LAVH on 8/27/02.

I guess my main concern is how I am going to feel minus everything. I am hoping it will 10 times better than it is now, I have fibroids and they have made me miserable, cramping all the time, bloated, I have gained 10 pounds, I cant seem to lose it even though I really havnt changed my diet in the last year.

Just losing the constant cramping will be a relief. Has anyone lost weight after the surgury??? or am I just wishful thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2002, 11:06 PM
hello there

Hi there, I had a LAVH plus other things end of May, not for fibroids but had enlarged prolapsed uterus causing heavy bleeding, cramps and limiting my activities.

As far as weight goes, you may not get a long term answer for several months. Many of us initially lose weight through the days of low or not eating at all, plus of course the removal of the uterus and undesirables as well. Then many of us tended to swell up and retain fluids so don't expect weight loss there. Then around 2 weeks plus we start feeling better and eating healthily - and quite rightly so- but as we can't exercise much and must rest heaps a lot of us begin to gain weight. A lot of princesses ( not me) also have to start adjusting to different hormone levels after removal of ovaries and maybe taking HRT or natural HRTs.

After 2-4 months if we have healed well without complications or follow up treatments, we can begin exercising and picking up some our regular chores and activities, but of course any extra weight will not disappear overnight. I reckon for me I won't know for a while yet just what my new settled weight will be, but I do know that I am slowly fitting my normal clothes better, ( zips doing up without lying down etc..)

As far as how you feel without your uterus, well, it's a personal thing. I gained a life back without pain every month, I unexpectedly lost my 7 year back ache, I am feeling more energetic and happy than for years. Yes, I did have a couple of down days when I felt "why me" type of thoughts, but they didn't last and I know for myself and my family, this surgery was the best thing for years. This site is indispensable too, especially the first weeks at home.

Hope this answers your questions in some way and best of luck for your trip to the castle and a happy healing and recovery time. Linda
Unread 08-24-2002, 07:18 AM
New and nervous

Good luck and best wishes on your surgery. I am having the same procedure done on 8/26, and am very nervous (scared is a more appropriate term). Hope your recovery is swift and as comfortable as possible. I am sure we will meet on the boards or in a chat when we are both finished! My thoughts will be with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2002, 07:38 AM
New and nervous

Cindart--
I had LAVH/BSO 3 months ago. I lost 7 pounds after surgery and have kept it off. I'm not sure what to contribute it to, other than the fact that I have been much more health conscious, i.e. diet and exercise since my surgery.

I also lost the chronic lower backache and cramps, and no longer have to get up several times a night to potty (no more big old uterus pushing on my bladder).

Good luck to you on your surgery! Keep reading and post any other questions you may have.

Shelley
Unread 08-24-2002, 07:40 AM
P.S.

Be sure to add your surgery date to your profile so we can send you Best Wishes for your surgery!

Shelley
Unread 08-24-2002, 02:50 PM
New and nervous

Hi, I 'm 4 weeks post op - tah/bso. I've lost about 8 lbs, mostly because I still can't eat very much at at time ( swelly belly gets in the way I guess). I've read on this site that it's happened to others as well. I've also read that some have gained a few pounds - so I guess it depends on each individual & her personal circumstances. I wish you well with your surgery, keep us informed.s
Unread 08-25-2002, 07:10 AM
New and nervous

I am scheduled for same surgery August 30. I am sure we will be in contact post-op. Good Luck!
Janna
Unread 08-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Weight Loss

Hi, I had my SAH on July 24 and I lost 10 pounds after surgery. I have been trying to put some back on as I was thin before the surgery! I have put back about 5 pounds, only because I have gone off my regular diet (low carb, high protein, no sugar) in order to gain weight and have not been able to exercise yet.

I feel that I will be able to maintain my weight with proper diet and exercise...at least that is what I am hoping!!!

Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register