9 days Post hysterectomy - Is this the gas pain you all talk about? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 days Post hysterectomy -  Is this the gas pain you all talk about? 9 days Post hysterectomy - Is this the gas pain you all talk about?

Unread 12-27-2014, 11:10 PM
9 days Post hysterectomy - Is this the gas pain you all talk about?

I have severe pain in my shoulders, my underarms, I can't even raise my arm. I feel like if I am having some sort of attack. OMG How long with this pain?? How can I alleviate this pain?? Help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2014, 03:55 AM
Re: 9 days Post- Is this the gas pain you all talk about?

Have you been taking Gas-x or anything like that? I had a TAH a couple weeks before you and had the horrible gas pains in my back & under my breast for about a week post-op. The gas pains subsided as I began having regular bowel movements. They started giving me Gas-X & stool softeners the morning I woke up from surgery & all while I was in the hospital. I continued when I got home. I also drank Apple and prune juice several times a day. For me, the bowel movements were my saving grace from the gas pains! Hang in there!!
Unread 12-28-2014, 06:37 AM
Re: 9 days Post hysterectomy - Is this the gas pain you all talk about?

I had a lot of pain in my left shoulder and pressure in my chest that felt like I was having a heart attack. Taking gas-x (or generic) helped a lot. I'm 3 weeks PO and still have gas pains, but not as severe as they were at first. If the gas-x doesn't help, please get it checked out by your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM

Pain that severe in that location that feels like some sort of attack is pain that needs to be checked out. That is not typical GI gas pain, and it's late to be from laparoscopic gas. Please call the after hours Dr or go to the ER. Even if some other ladies had variations on that pain, yours could be cardiac or from clots. Please keep us updated but I would not wait for this to resolve on its own.
Unread 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM

I am 2 weeks post-op and I am having the same problem. But taking gas-x, stool softeners the pain is getting better.
Unread 12-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Shoulder pain and bowel pain are two different gas sources. Shoulder is from the gas they inflated your belly with. It is trapped between the diaphram and the neck. If you search on this site for shoulder pain you'll find an article explaining it. One article states: The gas used during surgery often gets trapped under the diaphragm, causing pains that radiate up to the shoulder. This will go away in time, but it causes varying degrees of discomfort until it does. Try using two heating pads – one on the front and one on the back of the affected shoulder. If you are not taking medication for pain, ask your doctor which analgesic would work best to alleviate shoulder pain.

I am 5 days out and day 4 was the worse by far. Felt like I was having a heart attack. Laying on the affected side with heat on both sides helps. It's normal and should dissipate soon. Good luck.
Unread 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Mine went away around day 7-8. I hope yours goes away soon! Some say to try a heating pad on the shoulders. That didn't seem to do much for me.
Unread 12-28-2014, 09:34 PM
9 days Post hysterectomy - Is this the gas pain you all talk about?

The gas is awful. I drank lots of water, stayed away from gassy foods and used a heating pad on my stomach. I also took phyzame the gas medicine. My gaswas gone after a about 7 days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register