Scheduled TAH Hysterectomy Scheduled 17th February: live alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy Scheduled 17th February: live alone Hysterectomy Scheduled 17th February: live alone

Unread 02-13-2015, 04:20 AM
Hysterectomy Scheduled 17th February: live alone

Hi all,

I have a TAH scheduled for next Tuesday 17th.

I have a very bulky uterus so will probably have a large incision.

My biggest worry is that I live alone & how I'll cope on my return home. I have family & friends to help but obviously they have their own lives.

I've done all the things like prepare my space, food in the freezer etc.

Has anybody else been in my position and how did you manage? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2015, 08:08 AM
Re: Hysterectomy Scheduled 17th February: live alone

How did I manage? Very nicely, thanks! :-)

I live alone with two cats. I was released from the hospital 3 days after my TAH and had no trouble taking care of myself and the cats. I had a deal with my upstairs neighbour that if I got into trouble, I would call her, but I never needed to do that.

It sounds as if you're done all the standard preparation: cleaned, done laundry, stocked up on food and household goods (TP, soap, etc.) Have you arranged for someone to do your snow shovelling if this is an issue where you live?

Let me know if you've got specific questions. I actually found my recovery to be quite relaxing. I hope you have a recovery like mine!
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM

I read up here on the boards before my surgery, also. I had help, but I do think it is possible to go it alone.

I found that even though I pretty much slept the first 5 days, I had to be very careful getting up and down. So in addition to all of your preparation, I would put as much as possible not only in your bedroom, but within reach of your bed.

Getting my "nest" ready before surgery was one of the best things I did. If I was alone, I would probably even go so far as a cooler by my bed for the first few days. (keep in mind, I was realeased after 24 hours, no incisions)

What I did not realize is how hard it would be to even stand long enough to zap something in the microwave, or even sit on the couch or a chair. Obviously with time these things get easier, but things overlooked, never-the-less.

Lastly, my pain meds made me sicker than a dog. It was hell. I have a master bath, and I was able to make to the bathroom, but have something by the bed, just in case. I was also glad I kept a bottle of regular Tylenol on my nightstand. After puking for hours, not being able to even keep my anti-nausa down, the Tylenol was a lifesaver.

I was able to drive by day 7, but the errand itself was exhausting and very slow going. Us independent ladies sometimes try to do too much. I went to grocery store that would bag and carry my groceries out, etc. etc.

Good luck and congratulations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2015, 12:15 PM

my husband was home the first 2 days because it was the weekend, but I would have been fine on my own. The only really annoying thing was that I kept dropping things, and it took me so long to bend over and get them because I was being really careful. But I could do it :-)
Unread 02-13-2015, 04:22 PM

I didn't bend at all the first few weeks. I stooped, keeping my torso straight while I bent at the knees and using walls and/or furniture for support. That's how I scooped the cats' litter box. I let most of the housework go, but I scooped the litter box, rinsed and refilled the cats' bowls as needed and washed a few dishes standing at the sink as needed.

One thing about my recovery that I forgot to mention: I was off narcotic pain meds by the time I left the hospital (3 days after surgery). I took OTC ibuprofen regularly the first week and occasionally the second week. I never had any real pain, just soreness and twingey-ness, and was quite happy not to have to deal with the side effects of narcotics.
Unread 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Hysterectomy Scheduled 17th February: live alone

Hi!

Just wanted to give you a heads up to get a grabber tool if you can. I am mostly alone and I drop things all the time. I could squat to get it, but early on I was in too much pain. I read that I should get one, but thought I wouldn't really need it. Well, I should have. I am clumsy. Ha!
The cooler by the bed idea mentioned earlier is really good idea. I am tired of always having to get up to refill my water pitcher.

Safe surgery and speedy recovery!
Unread 02-13-2015, 09:58 PM

to HysterSisters. We are so glad that you found us.

It really does sound like you have covered the bases and your sisters here have given you great additional advice. The only thing I would add is please don't be afraid to ask for help if you need to. It is possible to do well alone but there are times where you may need to ask for help -- give yourself permission to ask. And . . . it would be good to have a designated friend or family member that you can check in with and that they can check in with you.

on your surgery. We will see you on the other side.
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
my husband was home the first 2 days because it was the weekend, but I would have been fine on my own. The only really annoying thing was that I kept dropping things, and it took me so long to bend over and get them because I was being really careful. But I could do it :-)
My DH bought me a grabber, so that I wouldn't have to bend over or reach. It was a life safer! It can be bought at the hardware store or dollar store. My sister lives alone and she had a couple in case she dropped one..
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Thank you all so much for your kind replies. Lots of practical advice for me. It's reassuring that it sounds that recovery is very doable on your own.

My surgery has been postponed, I'm waiting for a new date. I just want to get I done & dusted now.
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM

I did not recover alone and am glad to have had the help, but I do have a few tips that made it easier for me. One is to keep my pills and a water bottle with a pull spout RIGHT next to the bed. I was on percocet and ibuprofen for about a week-to-two-weeks-ish. (Started tailing off the percocets after a week, started tailing off the ibuprofens a few days later.) For a week, I was setting my phone as an alarm clock to wake me up in the middle of the night to take pills, in other words. Having them right near the bed (and having a bottle that wouldn't spill if I knocked it over by mistake) helped, along with a few crackers since they shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach. I'd eat one cracker, take a sip of water, take a pill, another sip, another pill, and one more cracker. I definitely would not want to have hauled myself out of bed every time I had to do that.

(Make it a cracker you aren't fond of. I never want to eat another wheat thin as long as I live.)

I also slept propped up to make it easier to get in and out of bed; the abdominal incision made it next to impossible to do ANYTHING that required core muscles. Surprised has remarked that she brought an exercise machine over to her bed so she could lift herself out of bed and settle herself in without help by hauling on it. I slept propped up so I wouldn't have to roll over or use my abdominal muscles (as much) to get in and out of bed. That took me by surprise -- there were times when I had real trouble getting into bed since I couldn't lift my legs enough to get them onto the mattress.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register