At 60 having total hysterectomy on 3/8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At 60 having total hysterectomy on 3/8 At 60 having total hysterectomy on 3/8

Unread 03-06-2016, 06:22 PM
At 60 having total hysterectomy on 3/8

Hi,
I am 60 and having a total hystetectomy on Tuesday morning at 7:30.
Every year I have an ultrasound to check my fibroids and overies. I was and am always afraid if cancer. I have had friends whom had had uterine cancer and lost a friend to ovarian cancer. So this past August I had my usual ultrasound and the results came back that the fibroids are growing instead of shrinking bring 10 years post menopause. My OB suggested I go to a GYN oncologist, which scared the heck out on me. So I went to see a renowned oncologist in Boston. He told me a statistic that said for women after menopause with growing fibroids there is a 10% chance it could be cancer. Mind you the study was on a "few dozen women". Well that didn't sound like good odds to me. So I went to another doctor (not an oncologist) in B&W hospital in Boston that is a top surgeon there for 34 years and said I would have a better chance getting into an accident. But the truth is, they both stated that you really can't tell for sure unless you actually get in there.
I've chosen to have it done, being optimist (which I never am) that I will come out clean. But it almost feels like an elective surgery, and a major one at that. I know once it's done and clean, I'll never have to worry about it again.
What most frightens me is that I have never been in a lot of pain before and I DONT WANT TO BE CONSTITUTED! I am taking magnesium three times a day on a regular basis and I drink a very large drink blended with spinach, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 5 lg strawberries, chia seed and water. These things help me every day with my BM's. I hope they will be enough after surgery if I keep it up. Does anyone have any other ideas?
I want to thank everyone on this sight for posting great information and sharing there stories.
Good luck and my prayers are with you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Re: At 60 having total hystetectomy

Hi cookiekia,

I'm almost 55 and just had a partial hysterectomy a week ago this Monday. My story is similar to yours as my fibroids seemed to have started growing uncontrollably starting last September. I've had multiple fibroids since becoming aware of them in 2009. But they caused no issues until last Sept. when I started getting horrible back pain with irritated nerves down my legs. To the end it was an excruciating pain to pull up myself from either a lying or seated position. Uterus was 5 months' pregnancy large and growing as fibroids were getting larger. I was also peeing almost every hour round the clock as the fibroids were pressing on my bladder.

I can feel your concern that the fibroids being possibly cancerous. I was also told that the chances are slim, but I worried what if I were in that 1% group. I just thought positively and hoped for the best. My gynecologist, who did the surgery, did a blood test checking for cancer which was negative. I learnt after the surgery that my fibroids weighed 3 lbs., and the pathology report said that they were benign.

Having my surgery I will admit the incision site is not pretty, and it feels both sore as well as numb and tingling. But compared to the episiotomy I had during childbirth the recovery is not as bad. So I'm sure you'll do fine.

For constipation you've got a good plan. But remember that the general anesthesia slows down one's system so it is normal to be constipated for around a couple of days. My doctor prescribed Colace which I'm still taking twice daily. Drink a lot of water too. That helps a lot.

Good luck on your surgery. I am sure everything will work out fine for you.

Take care.
Unread 03-07-2016, 07:17 AM
Re: At 60 having total hysterectomy on 3/8

Welcome! I am sending positive thoughts to you for your upcoming surgery! It sounds like you are doing a great job in preparing for it but I wanted to mention that there is a good chance that it may take you a few days to have a BM post-surgery. Your doctor may recommend GasEx and stool softeners to help move things along but typically your first BM can take up to 5-7 days after your hysterectomy. This is all very normal (if not uncomfortable). Many sisters find peppermint tea very soothing. Keep doing what you are doing and I am sure after surgery, your Super Food smoothies will be very helpful.
Good luck tomorrow! We'll be here to support you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2016, 07:45 AM

Cookiekia, I am having surgery same day, same time as you. I'm 55 and was experiencing very heavy periods, the last one just going on and on, so after tests I have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer. It is a scary diagnosis but again, I am hoping that the full hysterectomy (uterus, ovaries, tubes, nodes) will get it all.

The bowel movements after surgery are a concern to me too! Like you I regularly enjoy smoothies, so am hoping that drinking a lot of water, fiber, and walking when possible, will help get things moving again. I bought stool softeners to keep at home as well.

We can do this!

Good luck tomorrow, I'll be going through the same thing at the same time!
Unread 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Good luck to you DebbieRose55.
Unread 03-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL1 View Post
Good luck to you DebbieRose55.
Thank you, CAL1.
Unread 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM

Hi. My story is similar to yours, I'm also 60, and while I've had past surgeries at BWH in Boston, I'm doing this one closer to home, (I live near Worcester, and have confidence in my GYN here). I am also concerned about being out of communication for several weeks, but am working diligently on building core/abdominal strength to help with recovery. Also eating lightly, lots of veggies. But the fibroid pressure on bladder and bowel is increasingly uncomfortable, and I'm looking forward to solving that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiekia View Post
Hi,
I am 60 and having a total hystetectomy on Tuesday morning at 7:30.
Every year I have an ultrasound to check my fibroids and overies. I was and am always afraid if cancer. I have had friends whom had had uterine cancer and lost a friend to ovarian cancer. So this past August I had my usual ultrasound and the results came back that the fibroids are growing instead of shrinking bring 10 years post menopause. My OB suggested I go to a GYN oncologist, which scared the heck out on me. So I went to see a renowned oncologist in Boston. He told me a statistic that said for women after menopause with growing fibroids there is a 10% chance it could be cancer. Mind you the study was on a "few dozen women". Well that didn't sound like good odds to me. So I went to another doctor (not an oncologist) in B&W hospital in Boston that is a top surgeon there for 34 years and said I would have a better chance getting into an accident. But the truth is, they both stated that you really can't tell for sure unless you actually get in there.
I've chosen to have it done, being optimist (which I never am) that I will come out clean. But it almost feels like an elective surgery, and a major one at that. I know once it's done and clean, I'll never have to worry about it again.
What most frightens me is that I have never been in a lot of pain before and I DONT WANT TO BE CONSTITUTED! I am taking magnesium three times a day on a regular basis and I drink a very large drink blended with spinach, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 5 lg strawberries, chia seed and water. These things help me every day with my BM's. I hope they will be enough after surgery if I keep it up. Does anyone have any other ideas?
I want to thank everyone on this sight for posting great information and sharing there stories.
Good luck and my prayers are with you all.
Unread 03-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Oops. I mean "out of commission". My surgery is March 31.
Unread 03-08-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieRose55 View Post
Cookiekia, I am having surgery same day, same time as you. I'm 55 and was experiencing very heavy periods, the last one just going on and on, so after tests I have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer. It is a scary diagnosis but again, I am hoping that the full hysterectomy (uterus, ovaries, tubes, nodes) will get it all.

The bowel movements after surgery are a concern to me too! Like you I regularly enjoy smoothies, so am hoping that drinking a lot of water, fiber, and walking when possible, will help get things moving again. I bought stool softeners to keep at home as well.

We can do this!

I'll be going through the same thing at the same time!
Debbie,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. Stay positive and while I am praying on the gurney, I will also include you.
Yes we can do this!!
Unread 03-08-2016, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddahBuddy View Post
Hi. My story is similar to yours, I'm also 60, and while I've had past surgeries at BWH in Boston, I'm doing this one closer to home, (I live near Worcester, and have confidence in my GYN here). I am also concerned about being out of communication for several weeks, but am working diligently on building core/abdominal strength to help with recovery. Also eating lightly, lots of veggies. But the fibroid pressure on bladder and bowel is increasingly uncomfortable, and I'm looking forward to solving that issue.
Yes, the communication thing is a concern of mine too. I am not one to sit around in the house so I will try every time I have an ounce of energy to walk in the driveway. Good luck today, I will pray for all of us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register