No feelings 2 inches above scar | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No feelings 2 inches above scar No feelings 2 inches above scar

Unread 12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
No feelings 2 inches above scar

Hi everyone,

I am a bit concern. I have had a hysterectomy on the 28th of november, they otok out my uterus and both ovaries. The scar is horizontal. What is worying me is that I have no sensation from the scar to my belly button (about 2and half inches) is that normal? Is it going to come back? Any of you have experience this?

Thank you for answering...

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2006, 12:45 PM

I have lost sensation there as well. I'm assuming it's temporary but hope others can attest to that. I'm just two days behind you with recovery. Best wishes to you during this fragile time.

~Janet
Unread 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Hi there, this happens because of the nerves that have been cut for the incision and it will stay that way for quite a while. I am coming up for 6 weeks and it is still numb above the scar. Take care and hope your recovery goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2006, 02:00 PM

Had my hyst in August and the feeling is starting to come back.
Unread 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM

I am still having that numbness between my belly button and scar line. (but weird, not from the incision down)
When I lean against something, it doesn't even feel like me
I am hoping that starts going away soon.
You are still very early in your recovery. don't worry.
Unread 12-07-2006, 02:40 PM

thank you so much for your replies. I do realised im early in recovery and that it willt ake some time for the sensations to come back. Thank you for letting me know this was "normal".

Ok well im off to bed now.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Diane
Unread 12-07-2006, 03:11 PM

I am just over a full year now, and I still have numbness in that area. My doctor seems to think that feeling, or at least most of it, will eventually come back, but it takes a while for those nerves to regenerate. I've gotten where I don't really think much about it. It just feels kind of weird when I touch it. I've gotten some feeling back, but still pretty numb for the most part. I spoke to my mom a while back, who had her hysterectomy thirty years ago, and she has full feeling there now, and assures me that it took a long time.
Unread 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Ditto on past the year mark and still have some numbness. The doc I work with had her hyst over three years ago, and she also still has numbness. It's just another one of those "it takes time" things that varies from sister to sister.

Take care and best of luck with your recovery!!!
monami
Unread 12-07-2006, 05:00 PM

The numbness is totally normal per my doc. Most feeling should return, but he said I may never get feeling back in a small diamond shape around the incision.
Just want to add that as the nerves regenerate you may feel some very odd sensations and pains. Don't panic...it's normal and means the nerves are healing.
Holly
TAH/BSO Nov 14, 2006
Unread 12-08-2006, 05:23 AM

In March 2005 I had a horizontal incision to remove my left ovary (doc ended up just removing the cyst on the ovary). Just before my recent TAH/BSO I was starting to get feeling back above the scar. Now, of course, I am back to being numb. It does feel weird - especially when it itches and you can't feel yourself scratching it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register