Scared of surgery :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of surgery :( Scared of surgery :(

Unread 04-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Scared of surgery :(

Hi Sisters,
I am in the UK and having great difficulty finding anyone who has had both a hysterectomy and an anterior and posterior repair at the same time. I really want to know what it's like to recover from all these procedures at once? I had a c-section to deliver my son 18 years ago and the surgeon has warned me that I may have scar tissue. This could possibly prevent a vaginal hysterectomy and result in abdominal surgery instead, but he won't know until he "Gets in there". My surgery is not too far away now, though the time is really dragging and I am getting more scared by the day! I am also worried that I might end up with a bladder problem that I don't suffer from at the moment and wonder if I will have any problems physically with my husband after my recovery? Have any Sisters had a successful vag hyst after a c-section? If anyone out there has been in my situation and can give me some encouraging words, I would really appreciate it Take care everyone, Smiffy x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 02:52 AM

Hi Smiffy I didn't have a c-section, but I did have a vaginal hyst with A&P repairs and a bladder lift all at the same time. I think the recovery time is basically the same (about six weeks for initial recovery, six months to a year for a full recovery) no matter which procedure(s) you have... it's just that different areas are uncomfortable with the different procedures.

I think most of the discomfort I had was due to the A&P repairs. Sitting on a donut pillow helped a lot.... I carried one with me everywhere I went for the first six weeks.

I did have some bladder trouble, which required me to go home with a catheter for a week. That wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds, and ultimately everything was OK.

As far as relations after the surgery goes, that is hard to say. For me, things are pretty much the same as they were before the surgery, but some women do have considerable trouble. Are you having your ovaries removed? Often the trouble is due to hormone issues, so if you're having your ovaries removed it's important to work closely with your DR to make sure you get your hormones balanced (if you can use HRT). Even if your ovaries are not being removed, sometimes they can "go to sleep" for a little while after the surgery, and this can affect lubrication, desire and response. Make sure you tell your DR if you find yourself with menopausal symptoms despite keeping your ovaries.

I hope this helps... good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:13 AM

Hi Smiffy,

I had a c-section 6 years ago and a lavh 6 weeks ago. There was some adhering of the bladder to the uterus, but the vaginal part of the hyst still was possible. I cannot comment on the a&p repairs since I opted not to do the repairs at the same time. I had prepared myself mentally for the open abdominal incision and was pleasantly suprised when I awoke. Things may not be as bad as expected.

Keep your chin up.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2004, 11:38 AM

I had three c sections, the last one was 12 yrs ago. It's been 7 wks since my vag hyst and there was no problem with scar tissue even though the doctor did mention that as a concern during my pre-op exam. He had to take the uterus out in pieces, but I didn't care as long as it came out. I was really suprised at how little pain there was, I had more discomfort from the gas and the swelly belly. My only regret is that I didn't have a tummy tuck done at the same time, after having three kids all with birth weights between 10 and 11 pounds my tummy has never been the same. As for your concern about having problems physically with your husband after recovery, don't worry. It's a little scarry the first few times, you're so worried that there will be pain, but it gets better than ever.

Good Luck! and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers!
Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register