Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 20, 2015 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 20, 2015 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 20, 2015

Unread 09-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 20, 2015

Welcome Ladies to your Pre Op Open House! We are so glad you’ve joined us. This is your place to introduce yourself, ask your questions, and just speak about whatever is on your mind as you approach your surgery date.

You may wish to add your location to your profile, and it will show up in the header of your posts. It’s fun to see where everyone is! Here is the link to change this.

As we approach our surgery date, the nerves can get out of hand! This is completely normal, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The waiting truly is the hardest part, so your best course of action is to keep busy. Scrub your house, cook & freeze meals, and prepare your recovery area. Stock up on books, magazines, puzzles, movies and hobbies to keep you quietly busy while you recover. Get out of the house and have fun with family and friends... go for a hike, to the movies, or perhaps have a spa day. Finally it's important to take quiet time just for you as well. Meditate, yoga, quiet walks or a long bubble bath will soothe your nerves and help give you peace.

Here are some articles to help you prepare:

10 Essentials to Pack

5 Ways to Prepare & First Surgery

Coping with Anxiety & Fear

Expectations vs. Reality

Prepare for Hysterectomy: Tips

Relaxation Suggestions

Deep breaths, Ladies, you can do this! And we are here for you every step of the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeklish View Post
Hi !! MyTAH was just changed. It was scheduled for tomorrow but they called and it was moved up to the 23 rd . Have any of you ever just burst out and cried ?? I thought I was stronger than that. I started and then I couldn't stop. I think I had an anxiety attack. I mean it's not like I will be having another child. I have six already. I just feel like I am going to feel empty . I married very young and didn't finish school so having kids was what I did best.I know it's for the better and I'm sure I will be fine. I have put it in GODS hands. Glad to have this forum and to be able to read all the questions and answers. Some of them I hadn't even thought about myself so I'm a lot more informed now than I would have been with out this beautiful place. I live in Greece and they don't talk to you and prepare you like they do in the states. I still don't know how many days I will be in hospital or exactly what will be done. I'm over weight too and I'm worried about being put to sleep. Actually I won't know until Tuesday night when I go to get all my pre op tests done if I will be put to sleep or if they are doing an epidural.Good luck to everyone.
The emotions pre op can be overwhelming! I cried so much pre op I thought I would float away! I loved my uterus and being fertile. It was a very difficult decision to go through with. The emotions were even more intense for me immediately post op. Communicate with your family and tell them what you need: a hug, a big cookie, or just some quiet company. Here are a couple of articles I thought may be helpful for you:

Not Childless, but Still Sad

Special Considerations for Overweight Patients

I am wishing you the best for a safe surgery & uneventful recovery! You can do this!

Unread 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlsweene View Post
Thank you sugarandspice for giving me some idea about what I should expect physically. Mentally I think I'm going to be fine. Luckily I never had an episiotomy and my Dr said she will not do one. I was assuming it would be like birth so I ordered the cold pads and 2 sizes of the binders. I originally had Cervical cancer 20 years ago and had a portion of my Cervix removed and was still able to have another child. Then 20 years almost exactly, it's back. This time since I'm older I decided to have the Hysterectomy to remove my Cervix and Uterus. If everything else looks good I will keep my Ovaries. I didn't want to stress for the next 20 years wondering if it will return. After being clean 20 years I was devastated. But, looking forward to Friday and starting the next chapter in my life.

I am sorry to hear your cervical cancer has returned. Please feel free to post in our Cancer Concerns Forum, where you will meet amazing women who have walked this journey and will welcome you with open arms. Also check out the GYN Cancer Articles List to get more information, or perhaps answer some questions. Sending you hugs for clear margins and a healthy You!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl1031 View Post
I am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy on Tues, Sept 22. I have had uterine fibroids for quite awhile but was never concerned about having them removed as they didn't cause me discomfort. 3.5 years ago my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, stage 4 advanced. She lost her fight after almost 2 years. She was BRCA negative; no family history of ovarian cancer. So, after taking a year to absorb everything that had transpired I decided on the complete hysterectomy. 1) I am not nearly as strong as my mom. I have no idea how she endured so much suffering, and 2) I'm not taking any chances on my family having to watch me go through the same thing. My mom had had a partial hysterectomy years ago but because her ovaries were healthy, the surgeon wouldn't remove them. She suffered needlessly but ovarian cancer was rarely heard of way back then. I just wanted to bring this to anyone's attention who may be wavering on a complete vs partial hysterectomy. I am scared to death of having the surgery. Anesthesia terrifies me. But the thought of developing ovarian cancer scares me even more.

My fibroids are too large to remove vaginally. I had a c-section 31.5 years ago and the surgeon will use that incision point. I have no idea what to expect afterwards. I didn't see the bands until it was too late to order them. I'm crossing my fingers that with technology having evolved so much, the pain will be far less than from the c-section.
You state you aren't nearly as strong as your mom, but you are making a very brave decision, indeed. You are choosing to take your health and destiny into your own hands for yourself and your family. That is not an easy thing to do.

I just wanted to clarify: a Total Hysterectomy means the entire uterus is removed, including the cervix. Removal of the ovaries and fallopian tubes is a separate procedure and this is Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy (or BSO). So it sounds like you are having a TAH BSO.

The fear is very normal. I started crying on the drive to the hospital and didn't stop until I was put under in the OR. Surgery can be scary, and it's ok to feel anxiety and concerns. Keep busy beforehand and get outside and have some fun with family. Bubble baths are great, play relaxation music when you go to bed, and give yourself simple treats... like an extra large mocha and a slice of banana bread.

Do This - Not That: Coping with Pre-Op Fear & Anxiety

I didn't get an abdominal binder (or belly band) either, and it's just as well because I wouldn't have used it. My belly was very swollen and sore post op and I couldn't tolerate anything snug around my waist. I mostly wore my nightie and sundresses.

Women who have had both a c-section and abdominal hysterectomy have varying opinions on which surgery has a more difficult recovery. Here is an article on this:

Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-Section

I am sending to you for a safe surgery. We will see you on the Other Side!

Unread 09-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchime10 View Post
Maybe a stupid question:
Why does this site recommend taking treats for the nurses? Are any of you taking treats and if so, what?
Treats for the nurses are just a simple way of showing your appreciation. It's not like tipping your waitress however, and it is certainly not an expectation; when nurses receive a treat it's usually an unexpected surprise. I think the site recommends it because it puts good, positive vibes out there and it makes another person's day.

I work in a large hospital, and Yes, treats are always welcome and appreciated! I suggest avoiding gift cards or presents, as this may not be appropriate for the staff to accept. Flowers are often kept at a minimum in the public areas, as some patients are allergic to certain flowers.

Baked goods are always a big hit (whether homemade or store bought), or a handwritten Thank You card from the heart will definitely make the staff's day!

Unread 09-20-2015, 12:14 PM

My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday the 23rd, TAH, hopefully keeping my ovaries.

I'm pretty anxious about it and what happens, I get a very sore throat yesterday. Wondering if they'll end up postponing this due to cold symptoms.
Unread 09-20-2015, 12:16 PM

Good morning,
My surgery is tomorrow and they will be removing a large tumor on my left ovary, left tube, right tube, cervix and uterus. I'm trying not to be scared or over think every thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have not ordered anything, so if there are any suggestions that I can do to prepare please let me know. Thank you
Unread 09-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 20, 2015

Hello all!
I am scheduled for TVH w/bladder sling on 9/24. Pre-op is tomorrow. Yes, I am nervous but I just finished my worst period yet and am excited about getting this done. I really need it. Today I am out running errands. Getting my hair done, grocery shopping and I will be getting my space ready today. I think the one thing I am really worried about is the pain. I am not looking forward to hurting.
Unread 09-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Hello. I am scheduled for a LAVH or TAH BSO surgery on Tuesday September 22, 2015. I am 44 years and I no children. I am feeling nervous and a little depressed knowing I won't be able to have children. I am scheduled to have my uterus, cervix and Fallopian tubes removed. I am keeping my ovaries. The doctor said that this a one day procedure but I probably will stay overnight. I would rather stay other night because I am so nervous. Is there anything I should buy to prepare for the comfort level after surgery. I am really happy that there is a place for others who are going the same thing. I have fibroids, heaving bleeding and an enlarged uterus. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Unread 09-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 20, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchime10 View Post
Maybe a stupid question:
Why does this site recommend taking treats for the nurses? Are any of you taking treats and if so, what?

Well, coming from a nurse. You by no means need to add anything to your list of things to do. Now, if you feel compelled to bring something to someone that really touched your heart or were fantastic. Then, by all means you can do it post op or send them a card. Now, don't get me wrong we do love snacks. But, don't feel pressured at all.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register