BrachyTherapy Side Effects | Cancer Concerns - GYN | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BrachyTherapy Side Effects BrachyTherapy Side Effects

Unread 06-18-2017, 05:56 PM
BrachyTherapy Side Effects

Hi,

Friday I did my first of 6 BT treatments (over 2 hours long might I add..). The nurse mentioned that I might get diahrea. I also had my final chemo the day before. I will be doing BT twice a week for the next 3 weeks and wondering how likely the stomach issues will be if I'm doing just brachy alone (no external rads).

Any sisters that have experience with brachytherapy and what were the side effects you experienced and when did they resolve? I'm really hoping to plan a relaxing beach vacation 4 weeks after my last treatment, but am very leery that I will make the plans and then have stomach issues and not be able to go. My kids and I could really use a "normal" trip/bonding time after the 2017 that we've had! And I'm truly needing something to look forward to, a reward at the end of all the difficult surgeries, port placements and treatments.

Take care all and thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Re: BrachyTherapy Side Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by April5555 View Post
...I'm really hoping to plan a relaxing beach vacation 4 weeks after my last treatment, but am very leery that I will make the plans and then have stomach issues and not be able to go...
I had both brachy and external rads, and by four weeks after my last treatment (a brachy, with my last external rad the day before), my intestinal issues had settled down considerably. I put off returning to work until then, figuring that my boss was paying me to sit at my desk and work, *not* to keep running between my desk and the washroom. By four weeks after treatment, I could guarantee that. :-)
Unread 06-19-2017, 01:46 PM

I had brachytherapy x 3 treatments, and had no side effects at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM

Hi - Thanks Ladies!

Beth - NICE. No side effects would be ideal.

I'm wiped completely out the last few days. Chemo really does me in. So so happy that Chemo is now in the rear view mirror for me!
Unread 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM

Chemo wiped me out too!

Not sure why as others having the same treatment coped much better.
On a positive note, I bounced back from the chemo really quickly - hopefully you'll do the same.

Unread 06-22-2017, 03:59 PM

April - so happy you're through with chemo. I know it's hard to celebrate when you're still in treatment - just a new kind now - but you should be very proud of yourself. I hope recovery comes quickly for you.

I hope brachy will be powerful to the cancer and gentle to the rest of you! And it looks like you've been able to proceed without ext rads as you'd hoped. That's great too!

Hang in there. Hugs!
Unread 06-24-2017, 08:08 PM

Can I ask you a question. I am scheduled to see the radiologist this coming Friday. My oncologist said I should only need 3 or 4 treatments. What constitutes a treatment? One visit a week? Several visits grouped together? Also any mention of staying away from children. I have two beautiful grandkids I just can not imagine staying away from and my middle son and his wife are expecting their first baby within the next 3 weeks. I am afraid I won't be able to be there.
Unread 06-25-2017, 07:17 AM

A treatment = one visit. I had three treatments, once a week for three weeks. I've heard of people having them closer together, though, maybe twice a week.

No, you do not have to stay away from children. After each treatment they run a Geiger counter over you to ensure that no radioactive material has been left in your body. I'm not joking, they really do this.
Unread 06-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Thank you for your response, it put my mind at ease. How long after younhad your hysterectomy did you start the procedures?
Unread 06-25-2017, 08:56 AM

I was declared NFT, no further treatment after my hysterectomy. However, nine months later I had a recurrence, which necessitated the radiation. I started treatments one year and four days after surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register