Surgical menopause or just going crazy? No HRT | No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical menopause or just going crazy? No HRT Surgical menopause or just going crazy? No HRT

Unread 08-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Surgical menopause or just going crazy? No HRT

Hi, I was reading an older thread about how long menopause lasts after a total hysterectomy when a comment caught my attention. The lady was talking about depression, and I'm wondering if this is common? It's been 10 months since my surgery, (removal of uterus, ovaries, tubes, pelvic lymph nodes). I had endometrial cancer so can't take any hormones.... I feel worse now than before the surgery. I'm always lethargic, have headaches, major insomnia (sometimes 4-5 days on no sleep at all), panic attacks, major heat flashes, extreme anxiety, and the depression is getting really bad. I thought it was just me going crazy haha, but could it be worsened by my lack of estrogen or something? Just curious. Oh and I'm 39 yo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Re: Surgical menopause or just going crazy?

It all sounds like menopause symptoms. Some of the depression could be due to loss of female parts if it bothers you, but the rest fit into menopause symptoms. You definitely need to talk to your doctor about it and get drug help. There is no reason to suffer as you are.
Unread 09-13-2016, 08:09 PM

Hi! I am almost 6 weeks post op and after having been hit hard after day 4 post/op with hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia and depression, i got better after about a week. Now the symptoms are back! I thought once my body adjusted to the lack of hormones (total hyster) that I would go back to normal. But im not. I feel weird in so many ways. Depressed. Tired. Sweat a lot. Im a mess. Hoping and praying I can get past this. Am i the only one?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2016, 05:36 AM

Hello Ellis17,

I too am approaching my 6 week post op and I have some of the same feelings and concerns. I'm praying that this goes away over time. I'm going back to work next week so I hope this will help some.
Unread 09-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrapps70 View Post
Hello Ellis17,

I too am approaching my 6 week post op and I have some of the same feelings and concerns. I'm praying that this goes away over time. I'm going back to work next week so I hope this will help some.
I bet it will help you to focus on other things. When I am idle I feel everything and think too much. So, I pray you will be great🙏
Unread 09-16-2016, 07:04 PM

I am 5 wk post op and I am taking estrogen it helped but the last few days the hot flashes the depression the "crazy brain" as I call it have come back. I wish I had never done the surgery I hate how I feel now. Mind you my dr office couldn't schedule my op earlier in the summer so I started nursing school 5 days after my surgery. My poor body has been pushed to the limit. Sleep. Oh how I wish I could get a good nights sleep.
Unread 09-23-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubug09 View Post
Hi, I was reading an older thread about how long menopause lasts after a total hysterectomy when a comment caught my attention. The lady was talking about depression, and I'm wondering if this is common? It's been 10 months since my surgery, (removal of uterus, ovaries, tubes, pelvic lymph nodes). I had endometrial cancer so can't take any hormones.... I feel worse now than before the surgery. I'm always lethargic, have headaches, major insomnia (sometimes 4-5 days on no sleep at all), panic attacks, major heat flashes, extreme anxiety, and the depression is getting really bad. I thought it was just me going crazy haha, but could it be worsened by my lack of estrogen or something? Just curious. Oh and I'm 39 yo.

Mine got worse, depression, major mood swings, panic attacks, and my pain is at least as bad as when i had all my equipment. I havent taken estrogen in over a year. Im 33. So your not alone.
Unread 10-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Hi. I had these symptoms and thought I was going crazy as well until the past 2 months. I had a full hysterectomy (ovaries and cervix removed) a little over a year ago at age 48 due to severe bleeding from huge fibroids. B/c of a history with DVT and PE, no HRT. My surgery was the end of August 2015 and around January 2016 was when I suddenly became claustrophobic, had chills that lasted seconds throughout the day, severe anxiety and depression for no apparent reason, and scary heart palpitations that put me in the ER a few times (that I know now were panic attacks). Sometimes they were so bad I didn't know how I could go on to have a normal life. I knew that the hot flashes, dryness, hair loss,and loss of sleep were due to the surgery but I did not at the time attribute those other symptoms to surgical menopause. When I talked to my gynecologist in Feb, she told me I should be getting better and not worse with menopause symptoms which I know now is totally wrong. Another doctor tried to convince me to go on anti-depressants since I could not do HRT. Through my own research and discussions with other doctors, I finally realized all these symptoms were likely from surgical menopause. With this realization, I was at least no longer scared. I finally got better with acupuncture and mindfulness meditation to help me through the anxiety and heart palpitations. I still get symptoms from time to time and now I also have bladder spasms but I am better than I was 3 months ago. For others suffering the same symptoms, hang in there. I took the time to post b/c I also thought I was going crazy before I knew all these horrible symptoms were due to surgical menopause. I wish I knew about this sooner. Some days I feel I would rather live through the heavy bleeding and fibroids than to go through these anxiety symptoms that take over my body. Mindfulness meditation has been a big help for me.
Unread 10-04-2016, 04:00 PM

Oh my goodness! Jubug, when I read your post, it's as if I were reading my own story. I'm 47. All those things are happening to me too!! I had a daVinci hysterctomy in May and they took everything out b/c I had endometrial cancer. So, no hormones for me either. One week post-op, surgical menopause slammed into my life and it now has me by the throat! That's how it feels, anyway. My main issues right now are insomnia, depression, and extreme irritability. I feel like I've lost my "sparkle" b/c I just don't care about anything anymore. Things that used to make me happy like hobbies, baking, doing things for others, I just couldn't care less. Makes me so sad. When will this all end? Or will it? I appreciate reading all the stories and advice here on HS.
Unread 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM

3 1/2 years post surgery I still have to manage hormone levels or can have symptoms including depression, anxiety, insomnia, muscular pain etc. low eostrogen can mess with mind and body. I alternate between using Anna's wild yam cream and remifemin. I find this helps. Last time I stopped using these products I had chronic back pain and heart palpitations. When I started using them again, the problems stopped. my doctor reckoned it would take 3 years for my hormone levels to normalise. I am now 40.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register