Did somebody have problem to void after TVT sling that had resolved on its own? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did somebody have problem to void after TVT sling that had resolved on its own? Did somebody have problem to void after TVT sling that had resolved on its own?

Unread 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Did somebody have problem to void after TVT sling that had resolved on its own?

I had my LATVH A&P repair and bladder repair (TVT sling). I wasn’t able to urinate at all till day 13, had the cath for 10 days and have been doing self-cath since then. I can see a little improvement in the output since I have started to void, but there is a residual. I find it very difficult to void when the bladder is full and then of course I have more residual. If the bladder isn’t full enough the ration is 50/50 % for the output and the residual, and if full is 25/75 % . I wonder if anybody has gone trough this and if there was significant improvement after some time? By some article that I found on-line it says that if you didn’t void immediately after the procedure, there was an option to do kind of a urethra dilatation in the first 5 days (which of course wasn’t done in my case). If that has not been done in time, they say:
“After 10 days, loosening can be very difficult. In these instances, managing the patient with self-catheterization for four weeks will permit the mesh to heal and to become fixed into position. At this point in time, the outlet obstruction can be relieved by providing local anesthetic, making a vaginal incision, and dividing the tape in the midline. It is helpful to carefully palpate the base of the incision to identify the tape. Normal voiding is restored and the patient's continence is preserved.”
Has anybody gone through this? Is there a chance that I will get to empty all in time or the above would be the only possible solution? I hate the thought to be cut again!!
My doctor told me to call him after 4 weeks if I didn't improve. I wonder what he has in mind to do after?? OMG I hope it will improve by the end of the fourth week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2006, 12:57 PM

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I have a TVT too. At my pre-op visit my Dr. told me that there was a chance that if the tape was too tight he would have to partially cut it, but he made it sound like a very small deal that was a procedure he would perform in his office. I got the impression any necessary incision would be very small.

I had some complications (not related to the TVT) and had a catheter for 3 days in the hospital and fortunately was able to completely empty my bladder while in the hospital, so I didn't have to do the self-cath when I went home. That said. I wouldn't call things working "normally" yet, but it gets better every day. My Dr. said it takes time for everything to get used to its new anatomically correct position.

Hang in there and relax, it sounds like you are doing a lot better. Just give it time.
Unread 12-31-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks CDP,

Today my bladder is “behaving” and doesn’t give me that much discomfort.Around 3 pm I had only 20 ml left which is good, basically normal. I feel more in control since last night, starting, pushing and stopping willingly. I am hoping that I am getting there although it seems like it takes forever. I find out the nights more difficult to go. Doc told me to stay away from coffee and anything that has caffeine, since it causes terrible bladder spasms. Now I am a "good girl" and drink only decaff, water and cranberry juice and can tell the difference. Thanks for the post it is good to hear some words of encouragement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register